Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2011, 12:11 AM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ive only had the K-5 for a few days now and coming from a K200D (same sensor as K10D) I can tell you its far from a failure. It is better in every way possible a camera can be.

03-21-2011, 12:18 AM   #212
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
the K10D would be the most cost-effective tool available to capture the landscapes at hand.
I actually still use My K10D, The weaker AA filter makes it an excellent choice when I am using the 50mm f/1.2 @ f/1.2.

but I also own a K-7 and from what I have seen and heard the K5 is better, but not in enough ways to make an upgrade worth it for me. Besides, I think I am done with the 35mm camera rat-race, i'm going for a 645D.
03-21-2011, 01:35 AM   #213
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I can't be held responsible for what Otis types......can I? That doesn't seem fair, and anyhow, who wants to argue with Otis? He did have a point or two that made perfect sense.......Spring is in the air, at least here at 89F today.....sure it was a little chilly last night....63F, but we lived through it!

Best Regards!
I really do not understand why it is you making these comments while all of us know it is really Otis who's running the show over there. Now either put him on directly and stop twisting his words or get a camera of your own!
03-21-2011, 01:47 AM   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
I really do not understand why it is you making these comments while all of us know it is really Otis who's running the show over there. Now either put him on directly and stop twisting his words or get a camera of your own!
The K-5 can occasionally induce schizophrenia among photographers who are obsessed with squirrels.
Apparently the ownership of such a fine and sophisticated camera in close proximity to these critters exaggerates the split personality syndrome, leading to an obsessive compulsive alter ego of wanting to be a rodent...

03-21-2011, 01:52 AM   #215
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Besides, I think I am done with the 35mm camera rat-race, i'm going for a 645D.
Now that's someone after Pentax's own heart.
I'm sure you'll be well pleased with it too.

I do find that for high ISO performance alone, the K-5 is enough of an upgrade to justify coming from a K-7, but this is not what all photographers would be after (as you demonstrate Digitalis). You'll find the biggest advantage of the 645D will be the DR and resolution.
03-21-2011, 01:55 AM   #216
Veteran Member

As long as Pentax address the problems, fixes them efficiently and prevents them from future models I do not see how anyone can possibly say the K5 is a failure. It is a beast of a camera and will embarrass most others in it's class and even above it's class.
03-21-2011, 02:12 AM   #217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The K-5 can occasionally induce schizophrenia among photographers who are obsessed with squirrels.
Apparently the ownership of such a fine and sophisticated camera in close proximity to these critters exaggerates the split personality syndrome, leading to an obsessive compulsive alter ego of wanting to be a rodent...
Let me turn that 180 for you. Therapy and analysis should show who exactly has the split personality here. It might very well be the rodent desperately posing as human after all. This is no laughing matter - it becomes impossible to say where the rodent stops and the human begins - or vice versa.

Obviously, we are talking about a squirrel who is obsessed with photographers and NOT the other way around as you stated. Any amateur psychotherapist worth the money of his internet-diploma can see that, can't believe you missed that!
03-21-2011, 03:05 AM   #218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
You'll find the biggest advantage of the 645D will be the DR and resolution.
Those of you who have seen my gallery will know I'll make good use of those characteristics.

I still use my K-7, K10D, Leica M9, and D300s and D3s I sold off all my canon 1 series bodies, and my 20D plus a few canon lenses, I already have nikkor equivalent lenses to replace them. I might get a D3X as a sort of back up body for the 645D. Failing that, I could just use the hasselblad H2 I have laying around and get a phase one Achromatic+ MF back - some drool worthy technology right there, I wish there was a 35mm DSLR that had a sensor like that.

03-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #219
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Let me turn that 180 for you. Therapy and analysis should show who exactly has the split personality here. It might very well be the rodent desperately posing as human after all. This is no laughing matter - it becomes impossible to say where the rodent stops and the human begins - or vice versa.

Obviously, we are talking about a squirrel who is obsessed with photographers and NOT the other way around as you stated. Any amateur psychotherapist worth the money of his internet-diploma can see that, can't believe you missed that!
Really? Sometimes I wonder why I hang out with you guys? Just relax and enjoy your new K5's.......Squirrels have everything under control.
Otis
03-21-2011, 06:18 AM   #220
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Really? Sometimes I wonder why I hang out with you guys? Just relax and enjoy your new K5's.......Squirrels have everything under control.
Otis
You better watch yourself, Otis! Looks like you're losing your grip with that one paw dangling mid-air and the RF remote in your right front paw just hidden from sight
03-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #221

Photos: Albums
K-5 <3
03-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #222
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
I have both a K20D and K-5

under normal circumstances there's not a lot of difference between IQ at ISO100, but the K-5 comes into it's own when you want to boost low light areas. The hgiher dynamic range really makes a difference.

I find the K-5 about 3 stops better than the K20D. at lower ISOs like ISo100 this is not so immediately apparent, but it makes a huge difference at ISDO6400. K-5 ISO6400 is a good as the K20Ds ISO800
I see a lot of people saying this, but I think there's something missing from the discussion. When I shoot in, say, bright sunlight, with my K20d, and pull up the shadows, they get ugly - really ugly. With the K-5, I can bring them up to an almost tone-mapped look just using the "fill light" slider in Lightroom without any particularly nasty artifacts. The dynamic range is just incredible. I don't have to shoot two pictures to have properly exposed skies and land; I can just drop a software ND filter on the sky and increase the exposure in LR. The result is amazing; you can't really see HOW amazing until you shoot the K20D side-by-Side with the K-5 and do the same things. The IQ difference is positively astonishing.
03-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #223
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I see a lot of people saying this, but I think there's something missing from the discussion. When I shoot in, say, bright sunlight, with my K20d, and pull up the shadows, they get ugly - really ugly. With the K-5, I can bring them up to an almost tone-mapped look just using the "fill light" slider in Lightroom without any particularly nasty artifacts. The dynamic range is just incredible. I don't have to shoot two pictures to have properly exposed skies and land; I can just drop a software ND filter on the sky and increase the exposure in LR. The result is amazing; you can't really see HOW amazing until you shoot the K20D side-by-Side with the K-5 and do the same things. The IQ difference is positively astonishing.
What are your settings? Are you shooting the K20d at ISO 100, and under exposing a bit (considering that the optimal approach)?
03-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
What are your settings? Are you shooting the K20d at ISO 100, and under exposing a bit (considering that the optimal approach)?
Indeed I have. The dynamic range of the K-5 exceeds the DR of the K20D at every ISO, but most significantly at speeds above ISO 200. The difference at ISO 400 is jaw-dropping. I've not done an ISO80 vs ISO100 test, for "absolute bests" but I have compared ISO 100 images with the same camera settings and subject matter, time and place, shot within seconds of one another, using the same lenses.

My K20D consistently underexposes by default, a third to a half a stop or so. Underexposing further only exacerbates the shadow noise and banding. The chroma noise alone is ~2-2.5 stops better on my K-5.

In carefully controlled conditions with lots of even lighting, you'd play the dickens telling the difference between the two machines. Throw in directional, hard light, and it becomes obvious.
03-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #225
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I actually still use My K10D, The weaker AA filter makes it an excellent choice when I am using the 50mm f/1.2 @ f/1.2.

but I also own a K-7 and from what I have seen and heard the K5 is better, but not in enough ways to make an upgrade worth it for me. Besides, I think I am done with the 35mm camera rat-race, i'm going for a 645D.
Yep, me too.