Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #226
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
jstevewhite, I don't doubt your findings between the K20D and K-5. I have noticed on many of my ISO 200-800 landscapes with the K20D that I get obtrusive colour noise in the shadow areas, particularly when I start boosting their detail. I can even get this at ISO 100 if there is slight underexposure and the need to increase shadow exposure in an image. So this indeed is a welcomed feature of the K-5 sensor that assists greatly in keeping shadow areas clean and retaining good detail.

03-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't mean to give the idea that I'm bashing on the K20D - it is a great camera, and still is. I'm just very impressed by the sensor performance of the K-5. It's really much, much better.
03-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #228

with the light weight body and great performance, there is no way K-5 a failure
03-22-2011, 01:29 AM   #229
Inactive Account

This doesn't bash the k-5 it is a great camera. But as i see it. Hoya is up agains t a wall. Soaring Yen, world economy in the toilet, and no takers to buy Pentax.
They really have no option but to try to increase sales and development of the product. If somone were to step in and give a serious offer it would be gone in a heart beat. Even if the economy picks up globally and Pentax is making money. My opinion it will be gone first chance they get. In the meantime we can expect improvements in products.

Good for us who own Pentax. I bought into the idea and a good idea it was. But i didn't do enough research. I personally will not buy another pentax lens. Bodys I will buy when a good upgrade comes around..

I am switching to Canon slowely now. With no regreats. It is too much money to spent on a maybe company. But Canon will be around as long as i am alive. So it is really a no brainer.

03-22-2011, 02:05 AM   #230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

garyk,

If Pentax is in such trouble, I wouldn't switch to Canon SLOWLY: I'd switch fast. Who wants to be associated with a loser company/product like Pentax?
There have been "no takers to buy Pentax"? When did Hoya start seeking buyers? Have Hoya started seeking buyers? Have Hoya even decided to sell the Pentax division?
03-22-2011, 03:10 AM   #231
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gary, I think you're not bashing the K-5 or Pentax, you're just scaremongering. But indeed just go ahead with your switch and enjoy the difference.
03-22-2011, 03:55 AM   #232
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I'd rethink that for a moment. Pentax has moved much of it's manufacturing outside Japan. Nikon, Sony, Canon and Panasonic have critical factories that are closed right now. Given the scale of this situation, may be closed for a long time.

Pentax may have product on the shelf to sell and the others may not in a few weeks.

But what I get a kick out of with Gary's post is we see these everytime a new model comes out. Pentax is dead blahblah. Whatever. Sell your kit and move on. But to base that change on some percieved idea that has no basis in fact is foolish.

03-22-2011, 04:34 AM   #233
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I am switching to Canon slowely now. With no regreats. It is too much money to spent on a maybe company. But Canon will be around as long as i am alive. So it is really a no brainer.
Canon is now loudly denying future in EVIL. That may mean they plan a transition similar as 25years ago when FD mount died. So yes, I'm sure Canon will remain strong. But what about EOS system?
03-22-2011, 04:45 AM   #234
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is no guarantee with any company. Why should any one be certain that a particular company will be around forever? All it takes is some poor decisions, investments in r and d that don't pan out and a company can be on the rocks. At the same time, lens mounts die hard and I can't see a situation in which the k mount ceased to exist (unless Pentax itself decided to stop making lenses for it).

In point of fact, Hoya has consistently invested money in Pentax's camera r and d, even when they were bleeding money three years ago. At one time, I think Hoya was interested in purchasing a sensor company to pair with Pentax, at this point, with the recession still on and the devastation in Japan, I'd say they'll just move forward conservatively, turning out excellent APS-C cameras. That works just fine for me.
03-22-2011, 04:48 AM   #235
Veteran Member

...But as i see it. Hoya is up agains t a wall. Soaring Yen, world economy in the toilet, and no takers to buy Pentax.
They really have no option but to try to increase sales and development of the product. If somone were to step in and give a serious offer it would be gone in a heart beat. Even if the economy picks up globally and Pentax is making money. My opinion it will be gone first chance they get. In the meantime we can expect improvements in products.

Good for us who own Pentax. I bought into the idea and a good idea it was. But i didn't do enough research. I personally will not buy another pentax lens. Bodys I will buy when a good upgrade comes around..
Well let's address your false assumptions...

Soaring Yen
whatever level the Yen is also affects other Japanese camera makers too...

World economy in the toilet
It is the US economy and that of a few nations in the EU that is the toilet... the rest of the world is in pretty good shape (Australia, China, Korea, India, SE Asia, etc.). China in particular is shaping up to be a far bigger market for electronics and durable goods than the US, a hard reality to swallow if you're American but is it any wonder considering the fact that the US is mired in debt and consumption rates are far higher than savings.

No takers to buy Pentax
Why would Hoya sell when Pentax is profitable?
Unfortunately most coming from corporate America have the mindset of very short term returns and from my experience fundamentally cannot fathom the trend of Japanese companies to invest with a far longer investment horizon. Hoya isn't an asset raider to sell Pentax off to the highest bidder.

A maybe company? Laughable!
Good luck spending more money on Canon.
03-22-2011, 07:24 AM   #236
Veteran Member

There are a number of reasons to sell a profitable subsidiary. Could it be easier to sell a profitable operation than one that's bleeding money? Probably. Let's leave profitability aside. It's a red herring.

Let's look at the other side - Pentax would be best off in the hands of an owner with a long-term commitment to a clear growth strategy.

If that's Hoya, it's fine with me. If it's another owner with both the ability (cash, marketing position, etc.) and the desire to invest in growing Pentax as a brand and a system, that's fine with me as well.

I'm far more worried when the parent hangs on to the subsidiary but doesn't seem to value it for anything other than near-term cash flow. That's a recipe for unhappy (and stranded) customers.

But I don't see Hoya playing that game and so I'm not worried about Pentax ownership.
03-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #237
Inactive Account

Pentax on tänään ja viellä tulevaisuudessakin. Sitä ei voi estää edes canon tusina kameratkaan.
03-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #238
Loyal Site Supporter

d..

It's quite likely that your though processes are as messed up as your spelling.
BTW, Canon is the only camera company in history to completely screw it's entire user base.
Enjoy your Canon until they decide to do it again.
03-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #239
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
There are a number of reasons to sell a profitable subsidiary. Could it be easier to sell a profitable operation than one that's bleeding money? Probably. Let's leave profitability aside. It's a red herring.

Let's look at the other side - Pentax would be best off in the hands of an owner with a long-term commitment to a clear growth strategy.

If that's Hoya, it's fine with me. If it's another owner with both the ability (cash, marketing position, etc.) and the desire to invest in growing Pentax as a brand and a system, that's fine with me as well.

I'm far more worried when the parent hangs on to the subsidiary but doesn't seem to value it for anything other than near-term cash flow. That's a recipe for unhappy (and stranded) customers.

But I don't see Hoya playing that game and so I'm not worried about Pentax ownership.
I don't see Hoya selling Pentax. Hoya clearly likes the Pentax medical department, while their camera business is more of an after thought. That said, selling Pentax, but not selling their name (like Minolta did to Sony) would effectively kill any reason another company would have for buying Pentax. Additionally, Pentax has effectively ceased to exist as a separate entity and disentangling the camera department from the rest of Hoya's operations would be quite difficult.
03-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #240
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'm trying to avoid all the conversations that always come up with a new camera about Pentax dying off, etc.etc.etc.......

What I know is in my hands, and it is as fine a camera as you can buy anywhere close to the price. What is the problem with enjoying it? No one here is going to last forever, and this day isn't either....why not go out and shoot something...the opportunity to do it Today will never come again.

As for Pentax dying....try to picture this......Ford Motor Co just released the Mustang....remember way back then? And some were saying Ford wouldn't last. Well, did it?
Best Regards!

Shoot a Squirrel today, at least they appreciate the attention!
[IMG] [/IMG]