Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #76
Veteran Member
wlachan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,626
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
You have talked about AF speed with Canon 40D, which I agree, however, my observation with those who own those 5D and 7D are all using auto focus point select. Yes, they lock focus fast, but most of the time, they are incorrectly focused on point of interest and sometimes, with many focus points taken, nothing is really 'in-focus'. I am not sure in case, fast is more important than accuracy. I always 'user select' focus and getting very good at that. And the only time, I use 'auto-select' is when I ask someone to take a shot for me. Would like to hear what your view on this.
Let just say auto-select focus point is dumb on both. However, Pentax being slower but more precise is just an old myth circulating within the Pentax communities out of wishful thinking.

03-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #77
Moderator
Tom S.'s Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,239
QuoteOriginally posted by ajoe Quote
It is neither exaggerated nor inaccurate and this disaster is far worse than any I have ever heard of with any other brand in the past 40 years.

BTW, don't bother telling me what I can or can't say or think. That dog don't hunt! Of course, you can ban me from the forum because I passed the fanboy test.

Cheers.
Disaster? Bull crap. Problems that are/have been addressed? Yes. Do they qualify as a disaster? Perhaps in your book, but not apparently in anyone else's' if you believe or at least read the reviews. Can you show any major reviews that state the K-5 is a disaster? How about any that say it's not a good product?

As for the banning, you don't have to worry about anyone here doing that except yourself.

And get a new dog cause yours quit hunting a long time ago.
03-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #78
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,695
QuoteOriginally posted by ajoe Quote
It is neither exaggerated nor inaccurate and this disaster is far worse than any I have ever heard of with any other brand in the past 40 years.
In that case it's true for you and not true for the fair number of happy K-5 owners here and elsewhere who don't care for an online presence to express their enjoyment with the camera. Calling the K-5 a disaster is grossly hyperbolic. So be it if you believe so.

QuoteQuote:

BTW, don't bother telling me what I can or can't say or think. That dog don't hunt! Of course, you can ban me from the forum because I passed the fanboy test.

Cheers.
Mate, nobody's telling you how to think. That dog don't exist, it's more like tilting at windmills. Say what you want to say but don't be surprised when there's disagreement with your point of view.
03-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #79
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,888
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Let just say auto-select focus point is dumb on both. However, Pentax being slower but more precise is just an old myth circulating within the Pentax communities.
I don't necessarily think that Pentax is more precise. I am just thinking 'fast' is not important (to me anyway - your opinion may differ), but that is OK.

03-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,021
No doubt about it, Pentax has taken a beating, but no one here did it to them in my view, they did it themselves by rushing the product. Hopefully , they learned from it, and future models will benefit from this episode.

Now with the major problems cleared, it is a good time to take a look at the features of the K5 again, and see how they stack up.....look damn impressive to me. Look at the K5 Photo Thread and it gets even better. Time to move away from the ditch we have been in and get to work on enjoying the new tool we have been given. Perfect? What is perfect? Damn good? You bet it is!

Best Regards!
03-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #81
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 529
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
No doubt about it, Pentax has taken a beating, but no one here did it to them in my view, they did it themselves by rushing the product. Hopefully , they learned from it, and future models will benefit from this episode.

Now with the major problems cleared, it is a good time to take a look at the features of the K5 again, and see how they stack up.....look damn impressive to me. Look at the K5 Photo Thread and it gets even better. Time to move away from the ditch we have been in and get to work on enjoying the new tool we have been given. Perfect? What is perfect? Damn good? You bet it is!

Best Regards!
Not to gloat or anything (well maybe a little) but I'll have my K-5 in my hands before you do and I only ordered it today. I can't wait to see some K-5 skwerls!
03-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,021
QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
Not to gloat or anything (well maybe a little) but I'll have my K-5 in my hands before you do and I only ordered it today. I can't wait to see some K-5 skwerls!

Al, Ive been your friend, I've stood by you, I've stood for you, I've encouraged you, I've praised your abilities....and this is how you repay me? Rubbing it in my face? You sure know how to hurt a guy.

Hey, you have a wedding to shoot....all I have is Squirrels, I understand.

Best Regards & Best of luck on the wedding, but I know you and you won't need much luck.
03-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #83
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by ajoe Quote
It is neither exaggerated nor inaccurate and this disaster is far worse than any I have ever heard of with any other brand in the past 40 years.

BTW, don't bother telling me what I can or can't say or think. That dog don't hunt! Of course, you can ban me from the forum because I passed the fanboy test.

Cheers.
It's not my place (or anyone else's) to tell you what you can or can't say. You're entitled to express your opinion, just as everyone else is entitled to express theirs. That said, it is my opinion that your above statement about this being a disaster is both exaggerated and inaccurate.

03-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #84
Veteran Member
Smeggypants's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,536
Look, I have a K-5 which is probably way over the standard deviation when it comes to the Front Focussing problem. But even I aren't claiming the K-5 is a disaster.
03-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #85
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5th floor
Posts: 1,328
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Heh... by way of response I give you what is going on in the Nikon forums... first post here is relatively funny under the circumstances.

[D7000] - Problems (Bad Pixels) Nikon Rumors Forum

At the point that a Nikon thread is for the "inevitable I'm going to Pentax" posts, I think that perhaps you have your answer as well as a better sense of perspective on this stuff.

Edit: I am not pulling the trigger just yet, but it is a matter of price point. When NOT if.

Kind regards,

woof (blah blah, woof) woof!

D7000 problems? - Photo.net Nikon Forum
D7000 sensor problem ??? - FM Forums
Share The Nikon D7000 Problems | Facebook


Eh, by way of response, what I got out of that was that D7000 was not a success either, or that it was just as much a failure as K-5 was.

Maybe this was a Sony's dirty secret plan. I dunno.

You know, it depends on where you look at this from. If you got a good copy of K-5 with no issues, and if your pictures improve, then hey that was success for you. But, from a perspective of corporate headquarter mentality, this cannot be called a success by any stretch of imagination. Imagine people wanting to buy 645D. Looking at this fiasco one would almost be entirely stupid to buy a product that costs $10,000 when the company cannot even get a product that cost 1/6 of that right. No?

Edit: Imagine if you are getting colonoscopy done. I would make sure that the doctor is not using Pentax scope. I don't want it front focusing inside my butt.

Best regards

Meow.
03-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #86
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Eh, by way of response, what I got out of that was that D7000 was not a success either, or that it was just as much a failure as K-5 was.

Maybe this was a Sony's dirty secret plan. I dunno.

You know, it depends on where you look at this from. If you got a good copy of K-5 with no issues, and if your pictures improve, then hey that was success for you. But, from a perspective of corporate headquarter mentality, this cannot be called a success by any stretch of imagination. Imagine people wanting to buy 645D. Looking at this fiasco one would almost be entirely stupid to buy a product that costs $10,000 when the company cannot even get a product that cost 1/6 of that right. No?

Edit: Imagine if you are getting colonoscopy done. I would make sure that the doctor is not using Pentax scope. I don't want it front focusing inside my butt.

Best regards

Meow.
I'm just wondering why you're spewing out all this negative verbiage like a few others (ajoe and wlachan come to mind). Is it because like them, you don't have or can't afford the K-5 but like to talk trash based on unwarranted opinion rather than actually using the product? No product is perfect and yet Pentax has taken steps to address the outstanding issues surrounding the K-5, which to me bolsters my confidence in the product and the company making it.

You're dead wrong about the 645D. It definitely been a hit and going by warranty registrations, there are more than 40 users where I am, even before it has even been officially released over here. That's quite a lot more than what my local Hasselblad agent can sell a year with their H series cameras. The same can be said for the K-5, my local agent is selling them like hotcakes and there are long standing Canikon users who have made the jump to Pentax because of the K-5, something unheard off previously. Certainly the number of Pentax users who show up at our local monthly outings have jumped pretty dramatically. Bottomline is I don't think you know what you're talking about.
03-11-2011, 12:42 AM   #87
Veteran Member
philippe's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Flanders Fields
Posts: 463
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I'm just wondering why you're spewing out all this negative verbiage like a few others (ajoe and wlachan come to mind). Is it because like them, you don't have or can't afford the K-5 but like to talk trash based on unwarranted opinion rather than actually using the product? No product is perfect and yet Pentax has taken steps to address the outstanding issues surrounding the K-5, which to me bolsters my confidence in the product and the company making it.

You're dead wrong about the 645D. It definitely been a hit and going by warranty registrations, there are more than 40 users where I am, even before it has even been officially released over here. That's quite a lot more than what my local Hasselblad agent can sell a year with their H series cameras. The same can be said for the K-5, my local agent is selling them like hotcakes and there are long standing Canikon users who have made the jump to Pentax because of the K-5, something unheard off previously. Certainly the number of Pentax users who show up at our local monthly outings have jumped pretty dramatically. Bottomline is I don't think you know what you're talking about.
Creampuff, you are not in the US, me neither!
In the US when they think something is a failure, disaster or crap, it will be, regardless what the rest of the world is thinking. Look what happened to Toyota and other non US manufacturers.
I am shocked and feel ashamed when I read the bashing in this thread, and not only by the way it is expressed...
Moste of the naggers are Northern Americans, is this a sign?
I know, when writing this I might be lynched, but as an European, I am entitled to my opinion too, even if it is diametrical opposed to what the most important people in the world are thinking...
I will stand by the underdog till the bitter end!!!
03-11-2011, 12:50 AM   #88
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5th floor
Posts: 1,328
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I'm just wondering why you're spewing out all this negative verbiage like a few others (ajoe and wlachan come to mind). Is it because like them, you don't have or can't afford the K-5 but like to talk trash based on unwarranted opinion rather than actually using the product? No product is perfect and yet Pentax has taken steps to address the outstanding issues surrounding the K-5, which to me bolsters my confidence in the product and the company making it.

You're dead wrong about the 645D. It definitely been a hit and going by warranty registrations, there are more than 40 users where I am, even before it has even been officially released over here. That's quite a lot more than what my local Hasselblad agent can sell a year with their H series cameras. The same can be said for the K-5, my local agent is selling them like hotcakes and there are long standing Canikon users who have made the jump to Pentax because of the K-5, something unheard off previously. Certainly the number of Pentax users who show up at our local monthly outings have jumped pretty dramatically. Bottomline is I don't think you know what you're talking about.

I think that all this negative stuff comes out because I am not perfect . . . Nobody is perfect. I am going to take steps to address that, I think, by perhaps going to therapy and so on. I am now beginning to wonder why every single person on this forum does not have the exact same opinion about stained K-5's. Maybe it is wrong to differ. Yeah, I don't have a K-5. Maybe I will buy a K-5 . . . . I almost want one with stains on the sensor with back focusing problem, so that I can finally learn the true beauty of imperfection. Yeah, next time I buy a new car I want a lemon so that when they fix it, I can be inspired to go really fast without worrying.

You know, I think that anecdotes are the best kind of evidences. It is always the case that what one sees in a microcosm is always reflected in proportion without a hitch in larger samples. This is why statistics is thought to be so completely and utterly useless. And, those monthly outings . . . Those are such a good indicator that I think it ought to be added as part of the economic indices. I just wish there was a way to find out if there were 60 potential buyers initially and now only 40 ended up with it. Maybe there were only 20 of them to begin with, and yes because of the stains now there are 40. Very plausible.

I guess the bottom line is that I should not have said repeatedly over and over and over that I knew what I was talking about.

Last edited by Fontan; 03-11-2011 at 03:08 PM.
03-11-2011, 01:10 AM   #89
Veteran Member
philippe's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Flanders Fields
Posts: 463
Yes Fontan, stains are a problem, a real problem, a nasty problem, a hard to deal with problem, an almost-kill-Pentax problem and so on!
But it is not only Pentax who has to deal with. There are a lot of go betweens: the factory's agent, the reseller and the service centre. They have responsibility's, they can communicate and they can publish statements too.
After all these years of cooperating with the Japanese, they should know that these people are functioning in an other way when it comes up on communication.
If you are representing a brand in a country, then you should adopt a proper way of communicating.
I know, over here in the Benelux, things are worse, but we do not bash Pentax for it...
And yes, who can really know what he is talking about, observations and interpretations are so human, and by this so relative, I for my self try not to forget this, mea culpa?
03-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #90
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5th floor
Posts: 1,328
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
Yes Fontan, stains are a problem, a real problem, a nasty problem, a hard to deal with problem, an almost-kill-Pentax problem and so on!
But it is not only Pentax who has to deal with. There are a lot of go betweens: the factory's agent, the reseller and the service centre. They have responsibility's, they can communicate and they can publish statements too.
After all these years of cooperating with the Japanese, they should know that these people are functioning in an other way when it comes up on communication.
If you are representing a brand in a country, then you should adopt a proper way of communicating.
I know, over here in the Benelux, things are worse, but we do not bash Pentax for it...
And yes, who can really know what he is talking about, observations and interpretations are so human, and by this so relative, I for my self try not to forget this, mea culpa?


My last doggy was a Bouvier . . .
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DA* 50-135mm failure sean Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 47 05-19-2011 08:47 PM
Failure to Fire Chaos_Realm Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 03-08-2011 06:37 PM
Failure to Launch hriddle Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 01-09-2011 03:52 PM
K10D failure?! time-snaps Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 07-28-2007 06:11 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:08 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top