Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 01:33 AM   #91
Inactive Account

03-11-2011, 01:35 AM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
My last doggy was a Bouvier . . .
Yes, the Bouvier is a Flemish dog, bread for herding cows and pulling milk carts, very loyal and a hard worker. When well educated very good with kids too.

But next time, try a German Shepherd, they are renown to be real killers...

Last edited by philippe; 03-11-2011 at 01:43 AM.
03-11-2011, 01:46 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
Creampuff, you are not in the US, me neither!
In the US when they think something is a failure, disaster or crap, it will be, regardless what the rest of the world is thinking. Look what happened to Toyota and other non US manufacturers.
I am shocked and feel ashamed when I read the bashing in this thread, and not only by the way it is expressed...
Moste of the naggers are Northern Americans, is this a sign?
I know, when writing this I might be lynched, but as an European, I am entitled to my opinion too, even if it is diametrical opposed to what the most important people in the world are thinking...
I will stand by the underdog till the bitter end!!!
Those darn Americans... hating on everything, especially Pentax! Oh wait, there is more in America than the USA... Well anyways, I'm beginning to think the K-5 problems are a fabrication of those darn Americans too. The man is trying to keep those Japanese camera manufacturers down because we all know who are the most important on the world stage of camera buyers. We also who make the best images.
03-11-2011, 01:51 AM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
Yes, the Bouvier is a Flemish dog, bread for herding cows and pulling milk carts, very loyal and a hard worker. When well educated very good with kids too.

But next time, try a German Shepherd, they are renown to be real killers...
I am still traumatized by his death. Been 5 years now. He was awesome. German Shepherd eh? I some how feel uneasy about order in which those two words are arranged.

03-11-2011, 02:14 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Please get a hold of yourself and refrain from keep accusing me or others with your own imagination newcomer. We are here to talk about the K-5 and K-5 only. Canon AF is way ahead of Pentax, but I have never concluded Canon was superior in general. I have been using Pentax for more than 2 decades and have owned Pentax brand products more than anything else, including Canon. In fact, I have only a small combo of Canon just to fill the shortcoming of Pentax in recent years. The way I see it, Pentax have been toying with features and sensors between models but keep ignoring their known shortcomings which are what really drag Pentax down the last 2 decades.
I see no reason why you should feel offended.
What shortcomings do you mean? The AF? Lack of pro equipment? No new T/S lenses? 1/180 x-sync?
If it is just the AF that worries you, I agree. I used Canon in parallel for this reason as well. But the K-5, if the 1.03 fixes the FF problems, is good enough. I mean you have to try hard to see the difference in field conditions. And with consumer class lenses on both bodies the Pentax is likely to be even faster.
03-11-2011, 02:41 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
This, friend, is a sad reality to hear.
No support around for Pentax when the chips are down, eh?
i hear what your saying Ash...but I wonder how long Pentax would have taken to fix the FF issue if they had not taken such a bashing...its the bad press they have had over the K5 and FF that have even got us a fix..thats my view for what its worth
03-11-2011, 06:35 AM   #97
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Can we close this thread now that the new firmware has been released
unfortunately too quick to draw any conclusion on new firmware - things might have improved in 1.0.3 but does not look like completely resolved,

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/136324-k-5-1-03-versus-k...cus-tests.html

anyway, daytime DR it offers too difficult to resist, may be I will go k-5 way soon, keeping my finger crossed for 1.0.4, hopefully soon.
03-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #98
Pentaxian

STAINMASTER.COM - always stylish, always resilient

This can be the solution. Inspiring it says.

03-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I think that all this negative stuff comes out because I am not perfect . . . Nobody is perfect. I am going to take steps to address that, I think, by perhaps going to therapy and so on. I am now beginning to wonder why every single person on this forum does not have the exact same opinion about stained K-5's. Maybe it is wrong to differ. Yeah, I don't have a K-5. Maybe I will buy a K-5 . . . . I almost want one with stains on the sensor with back focusing problem, so that I can finally learn the true beauty of imperfection. Yeah, next time I buy a new car I want a lemon so that when they fix it, I can be inspired to go really fast without worrying.

You know, I think that anecdotes are the best kind of evidences. It is always the case that what one sees in a microcosm is always reflected in proportion without a hitch in larger samples. This is why statistics is thought to be so completely and utterly useless. And, those monthly outings . . . Those are such a good indicator that I think it ought to be added as part of the economic index. I just wish there was a way to find out if there were 60 potential buyers initially and now only 40 ended up with it. Maybe there were only 20 of them to begin with, and yes because of the stains now there are 40. Very plausible.

I guess the bottom line is that I should not have said repeatedly over and over and I knew what I was talking about.
Would someone please tell me that the above was tongue in cheek? Anyone?

PS: The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
03-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
unfortunately too quick to draw any conclusion on new firmware - things might have improved in 1.0.3 but does not look like completely resolved.
It's certainly not too quick to disregard the notion that the "K-5 is a failure".

And what level of resolution are you looking for? For every single K-5 out there to be perfect? I have no doubt there are potentially some defective K-5 bodies out there that need to be replaced. For myself, and it sounds like many others, v1.03 seems to have addressed the FF issue. So what is going to be your threshold for the issue being "resolved"?
03-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #101

The K-5 is my first Pentax camera. I had an old DSLR before it. I think the K-5 is great! The stain problem is gone now, and the FF problem was fixed with firmware 1.0.3. The dynamic range, the high ISO capability, the image quality, the 100% viewfinder, the small body size, the DNG raw format - they all make the K-5 a great success!
03-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #102
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
It's certainly not too quick to disregard the notion that the "K-5 is a failure".

And what level of resolution are you looking for? For every single K-5 out there to be perfect? I have no doubt there are potentially some defective K-5 bodies out there that need to be replaced. For myself, and it sounds like many others, v1.03 seems to have addressed the FF issue. So what is going to be your threshold for the issue being "resolved"?
What do you mean by "every single K-5 out there to be perfect? ", off-course, it has to be perfect, we are not talking about a consumer level camera, one do expect good amount of perfection at $1500 when $400 cam (k-x) focuses perfectly. Again I am not saying it will never, but it's too soon to say that 1.0.3 has fixed all the problem.

Last edited by yusuf; 03-11-2011 at 12:18 PM.
03-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #103
Site Supporter

My only wish is that someone with one of these duds of a camera would just put their misery away and send me one or two of those pieces of junk. I"ll gladly take care of disposing it for them.
03-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #104
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
i hear what your saying Ash...but I wonder how long Pentax would have taken to fix the FF issue if they had not taken such a bashing...its the bad press they have had over the K5 and FF that have even got us a fix..thats my view for what its worth
Sure, there's nothing like consumer demand to drive action, but a smaller company like Pentax gets little credit here when it comes to what they do right.

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
What do you mean by "every single K-5 out there to be perfect? ", off-course, it has to be perfect, we are not talking about a consumer level camera, one do expect good amount of perfection at $1500 when $400 cam (k-x) focuses perfectly
You may as well go with a high-end Canon or Nikon, then. But wait a minute, even the D3X, 1DMkIII and IV cameras had their flaws...
I'm not suggesting that the K-5 problems can be left as is, mind you - just suggesting the bickering is being drawn out far enough.

Last edited by Ash; 03-11-2011 at 12:55 PM.
03-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Would someone please tell me that the above was tongue in cheek? Anyone?

PS: The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
I also am having problems parsing that post.