Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #121
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Convert Quote
The K-5 recieve a higher reviewer rating on DPReview than the Nikon D7000, and that certainly can'[t be called a failure . I think the K-5 is a truly fantastic sounding product, and all the sample images I view seem to bearthis out. I just wish I had the money knocking around to buy one. Maybe in eighteen months or so, when the utterly incredible K-3 is released, and the K-5 drops to £600-£700, I'll bite the bullet and buy one. I certainly think it'll be an experience to relish!
Yes, I'll chime in on this measure.

Nikon D7000
Category: Mid Range Interchangeable Lens Camera / DSLR
Score: 80%

Pentax K-5
Category: Semi-professional Interchangeable Lens Camera / DSLR
Score 83%

So not only does the K5 score higher, but it scores higher from a higher class. As they say, "scoring is relative only to the other cameras in the same category."

So Pentax literally outclassed the most recent competition from Nikon.

Quoting: "Although it competes with the Nikon D7000 and even the Canon EOS 60D in some respects, it's introductory price clearly indicates that Pentax wants the K-5 to be viewed alongside the likes of the Nikon D300S and Canon EOS 7D. For this reason we have classified the K-5 as a semi-pro model (as we did the K-7), and scored it accordingly."

Following from that...

Canon EOS 7D
Score 84%

Nikon D300S
Score 82%

This result is nothing short of stunning (and I personally think that word is as overused as superb). Apparently this is truly a superb machine.

This is far from a failure. Rather it appears to be the revelation that many of us have been waiting for for a very long time. I personally am not going to hold the stains and FF issue against them. I think in the long run, this will all come out in the wash.

There is definitely one in my future. My opinion: Fail... NOT!

Respectfully,

woof!

03-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
You clearly did not fully understand my last post. I agree that the K-5 should focus better than a K-x (or K20D). And I agree that there are potentially K-5 bodies out there right now that don't focus properly even with v1.03. That, however, does NOT mean that the new firmware didn't address the main FF issue that was an issue for the majority of bodies. It's quite possible that some bodies have other issues (hardware perhaps) continue to cause a problem for a small subset of bodies. If that is the case, Pentax should (an will) replace them.

IMO, if you expect literal perfection from a DSLR body, whether it costs $400, $1,400 or $4,000, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Wow. Now it is quite possible that there are hardware problems, eh? What is next?? Are we sure that it is not going to have emotional issues? Infection? But that's ok. Pentax will replace them, huh? Great. What a great time to buy into K-5.
03-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Thanks for that link, ASH! Very sensible and useful. . . and sobering.
03-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Wow. Now it is quite possible that there are hardware problems, eh? What is next?? Are we sure that it is not going to have emotional issues? Infection? But that's ok. Pentax will replace them, huh? Great. What a great time to buy into K-5.
I'm not even sure what you are trying to say.

Of course there exists the possibility that some K-5 bodies left the factor with defects. I'd be shocked if it were otherwise. If people want zero risk of getting a defective product (as in an accidental manufacturing defect in a particular body, not a design flaw), be prepared to pay a lot more than the $1400 that many people are already irate about paying.

As for the potential design flaw/poor QC, sh!t happens. It would have been nice for everyone (Pentax included) if there was no sensor stain issues and no FF issues. But there was, and they're dealing with it. Not the ideal way to launch a fantastic body (otherwise), but I'm pretty sure it wasn't part of their master plan.

Last edited by dgaies; 03-11-2011 at 06:36 PM.
03-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #125
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I just came back over here to take a peek and I am surprised to find that there is still controversy about the K5 and its worth?
Looky here! We fought a hard and nasty battle to get a fix for the FF issue, I make no apology, it was a meaningful and necessary battle. The sensor stain was addressed promptly, and although the solutions might have been slow in some cases, due to the magnitude of cameras affected, it was/is being addressed. Now that the FF issue has been addressed, and where it has failed new cameras are available or a repair option, what is it that is left? A few more minor problems here and there that will also surely be addressed, but none that prevent us from enjoying one of the most fantastic cameras available anywhere, with any brand. Possibly the best camera ever built by Pentax in its performance abilities for average and above shooters.

Let me ask you to take a look at the new reality....when you see one of the most vocal and skeptical posters here, critical to the core, and well known for being outspoken to a fault purchase a K5, and I did almost immediately after the Firmware announcement, then you know the sharks are no longer in the water and the hole in the ship is gone. I am not for preventing anyone from having a say, one way or another about anything, including if Santa is real, but I think it is time each person should question their own logic if they don't see the K5 as the camera to beat in its features and outstanding IQ ability. This camera is now a big time winner...just get one and enjoy it!
Best Regards!
Rupert
03-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Well, I just came back over here to take a peek and I am surprised to find that there is still controversy about the K5 and its worth?
Looky here! We fought a hard and nasty battle to get a fix for the FF issue, I make no apology, it was a meaningful and necessary battle. The sensor stain was addressed promptly, and although the solutions might have been slow in some cases, due to the magnitude of cameras affected, it was/is being addressed. Now that the FF issue has been addressed, and where it has failed new cameras are available or a repair option, what is it that is left? A few more minor problems here and there that will also surely be addressed, but none that prevent us from enjoying one of the most fantastic cameras available anywhere, with any brand. Possibly the best camera ever built by Pentax in its performance abilities for average and above shooters.

Let me ask you to take a look at the new reality....when you see one of the most vocal and skeptical posters here, critical to the core, and well known for being outspoken to a fault purchase a K5, and I did almost immediately after the Firmware announcement, then you know the sharks are no longer in the water and the hole in the ship is gone. I am not for preventing anyone from having a say, one way or another about anything, including if Santa is real, but I think it is time each person should question their own logic if they don't see the K5 as the camera to beat in its features and outstanding IQ ability. This camera is now a big time winner...just get one and enjoy it!
Best Regards!
Rupert
Well said Rupert.
03-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #127
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I'm wondering which is having more issues.
The camera seems fine, bet there sure are a lot of really bitter people floating around.

03-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #128
Loyal Site Supporter

....sh!t happens. It would have been nice for everyone (Pentax included) if there was no sensor stain issues and no FF issues. But there was, and they're dealing with it.
At least Pentax dealt with it in a professional manner.
03-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
At least Pentax dealt with it in a professional manner.
Agreed, I have no issue with how they dealt with things. They are replacing stained sensors and released a firmware fix to address the FF issue. Not sure what else (some) people want them to do.
03-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #130
Veteran Member

Best Regards!
Rupert

I feel like ive been sailing around on a ship called the "K5"..and ive just been boarded by Rupert...LOL.......welcome aboard Matey.....

the whole process of the FF debate was necessary, Right back to Bjan's first post on the subject..and the multitude of closed threads thereafter..

it got us the Fix that the K5 needed...now its fixed its good to see other Forum members that have been sideline sitters board the "ship"
03-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #131
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Agreed, I have no issue with how they dealt with things. They are replacing stained sensors and released a firmware fix to address the FF issue. Not sure what else (some) people want them to do.
Oh, there are a few people floating around here who want the flash issues fixed, and those issues predate the stain and the FF issues. If I recall correctly, Pentax acknowledged the flash problem early on and promised a firmware fix, so there is still hope.

I'm not complaining myself, just pointing out that the camera still has shortcomings which need to be addressed.
03-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #132
Veteran Member

Best Regards!
Rupert
Rupert, good that you have been won over and are among the ranks of K-5 owners. But I remain hopeful K-5-less detractors on the sidelines will pick up the nerve to try and buy this excellent camera and experience the superior performance it has over preceding models.

Unfortunately there will still be a vocal minority who will be "No Action, Talk Only". This reminds me of the anecdote of the person who tries out the sweetest grapes at the market but tells the grocer that he won't be buying because the grapes are sour when in reality he ain't got the money nor inclination to buy. Sour grapes perhaps???
03-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
Oh, there are a few people floating around here who want the flash issues fixed, and those issues predate the stain and the FF issues. If I recall correctly, Pentax acknowledged the flash problem early on and promised a firmware fix, so there is still hope.

I'm not complaining myself, just pointing out that the camera still has shortcomings which need to be addressed.
Pentax has always had shortcomings with its flash system even with previous models in the past, so I won't get my hopes up too much in this area.
The good thing is the K-5's superior high ISO capability does reduce the frequency and necessity to use flash imo.
Personally I'm not an advocate of on-camera flash so I'm not too bothered by this.
03-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #134
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
The D7K has issues too.
I keep hearing this from people.

Please list these supposed problems.
03-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #135
Forum Member

k5=failure

Simple answer and short:

NO