Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 04:41 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is k-5 a failure?

I was discussing with a few Pentax enthusiast yesterday and interestingly, most were reluctant to buy k-5 with so many problems (FF & stains) and that too at a given price-point. TBH, I see that they have a point. A few among wants to skip k-5 and wait for next model and for a few other who does not have much Pentax investment, D7K looks like a better choice.

A question, anyone thinks K-5 a failure?

03-09-2011, 04:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

As a K-5 owner, no
03-09-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

This subject has been done over and over.

The stains were a real problem but are now virtual history - seems only the first batch was problematic and that retailers continued selling them even after the problem was discovered.

The D7K has issues too.

The FF is only under specific lighting conditions (and other cameras have/had this problem too, or so I have read on PF) and Pentax have said they are working on a solution for this issue - I've never had to contend with it and am more than happy to wait for the next firmware update for a solution.

The upsides are fantastic. Some Pentaxians really are a masochist bunch !
03-09-2011, 05:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

One doesn't "think" a product to be a failure. The product is either a failure or not. Some people may not like it for what it is; doesn't make it a failure if it's doing well on the market and getting great reviews––both of which the K-5 has accomplished.

So the bottom line is, it doesn't matter what I, or anybody else "think": the K-5 is NOT a failure, period.

03-09-2011, 05:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
This subject has been done over and over.
And over, and over, and over................

Please disregard all the glowing reports on the camera.
Please disregard that Pentax is fixing the issue.
Please go buy a D7 or whatever brand.
03-09-2011, 05:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
One doesn't "think" a product to be a failure. The product is either a failure or not. Some people may not like it for what it is; doesn't make it a failure if it's doing well on the market and getting great reviews––both of which the K-5 has accomplished.

So the bottom line is, it doesn't matter what I, or anybody else "think": the K-5 is NOT a failure, period.
+1000
The camera is selling well, how can it be a failure?

NaCl(the sky is falling! the sky is falling!)H2O
03-09-2011, 05:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frogfish Quote
some pentaxians really are a masochist bunch !
Agreed!
Some of them are like foxes, they dirt their own nest!
One should not fall in to adoration for Pentax, not at all, but at least have some respect for the efforts done by this little player...

03-09-2011, 05:18 AM   #8
Forum Member

The K-5 is my first pentax camera, so I did not decide based on a particular affections for this brand... and I absolutely don't see the K-5 as a failure.
Both issues mentioned are solvable and are minor in comparison to the camera's great capabilities!
03-09-2011, 05:19 AM   #9
Forum Member

As a K5 owner, I say YES IT IS A FAILURE.

It is plagued with an inordinate number of problems, many of which Pentax has not even acknowledged or addressed, and the speed of handling these matters is deplorable.

I will never buy another Pentax product. Period.
03-09-2011, 05:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Best camera I have ever owned. Problems? What problems?
03-09-2011, 05:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
A question, anyone thinks K-5 a failure?
Some do, I don't. Have one since december.
Actually I think it's the best of all my Pentax DSLR's (K10D, K-7 and K-5).
No stains (just make sure not to get an early production model and if you do, get it replaced by a newer model).
The FF issue is being handled, the other brands also expierence problems....
Where I live street prices between the K-5 and the D7k are almost the same.

- Bert
03-09-2011, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ajoe Quote
As a K5 owner, I say YES IT IS A FAILURE.

It is plagued with an inordinate number of problems, many of which Pentax has not even acknowledged or addressed, and the speed of handling these matters is deplorable.

I will never buy another Pentax product. Period.
C'mon now. This is both exaggerated and inaccurate.
Companies that have been in business for as long as Pentax don't just ignore QC issues they know exist from their user base.

There will always be disgruntled users as yourself no matter what the product, no matter what the brand. So please do yourself a favour and buy the product you find never has any of the issues you state and don't bother with the grandiose naysaying on a forum representing products you will never purchase again.
03-09-2011, 05:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As much as I love to see it as a big success and as my next camera if all problems are resolved. If we see sales rank, k-5 yet to be seen in top 25 at Amazon. FF, as we read, might turn out to be an hardware issue, who knows if there going to be a real firmware fix. Just keeping finger crossed.

Btw, what does other people have to say who yet to own k-5 due to whatever reasons?
03-09-2011, 05:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If there was no K-5, I'd be heading to Canon direction. I had the K-5 replaced serviced for the usual issues but now it works great. I have my confidence in Pentax back.
03-09-2011, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

I run two K5s. It is by some margin the best DSLR I have ever used. Any piece of high technology is going to be flawed (for a good example see all of the old reports about the recall of the flagship Canon 1D MkIII). This does not make it a bad product. If we as customers were willing to allow manufacturers a proper lead time in developing new products, we would see fewer problems. As we do not allow this (in fact we penalise any manufacturer who does not dash to market), we need to accept that early releases of these products will carry some risk of problems. The solution - if you can't agree to that - is to wait until six months after release for the flaws to have been identified and fixed. When I used LXs my camera bodies were good for 18 years service while only the film technology changed. Today the front-line life cycle of my DSLRs is about fifteen to sixteen months. The price we pay for all of that high-tech development of a product pitched at a price affordable to many people, is that some flaws will slip through.