Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
A few among wants to skip k-5 and wait for next model and for a few other who does not have much Pentax investment, D7K looks like a better choice.

A question, anyone thinks K-5 a failure?
Re-hashed topic indeed, but to compare it yet again to the Nikon D7K? You'd be walking a different field with similar land mines. Just look at the D7k forum on DPR to get your fill of back focus and hot pixel issues. Except over there they seem to excoriate any complainers until they leave the forums.

03-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #47
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Inspiring discussion here...
There really is nothing this thread can add to helping new users decide or not to go with a K-5.
As with most high end electrical equipment, if it is desired, buy it, ensure it is a good copy, and if not have it returned/repaired under warranty.

Camera Failure Versus Price and Brand

And if it's all about money, then rethink a dSLR purchase altogether:
Do you really need an expensive DSLR camera? Point-and-shoot vs professional DSLR Atlanta Photographer blog
03-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #48
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

For some of us, well, for me anyhow, I just hang around in the K5 area to see any hopeful news or convincing reasons to go ahead and buy. Having a Big Mouth, it is hard not to chime in sometimes, although I admit, there is not much new I can add. I do like the opportunity for all to have a say, and say, and say, and say.......but what we all want most is some news that things are going to get better with the K5 regarding focus issues.

Maybe we will get lucky, maybe not? It is still a great camera in most other regards, and I won't rule it out no matter, but I would like to see more information from Pentax before I make any decision. You too?
Best Regards!
03-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whether the K-5 is a failure in the general marketplace is yet to be determined. It has gotten almost universally good reviews and is, in most respects, the best DSLR that Pentax has ever produced.

For me, the K-5 is a total failure. Since it can't properly focus in the same situations and with the same lenses that my K100D Super does, it is a total failure for me. All three that I owned were affected by the FF issue. I returned it and now use my K100DS and a K-x, both of which focus properly under the conditions I shoot.

03-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Replies are fine, avoiding the topic is bad No intention to offend k-5 owners, but one can't just stop discussion.
Why not?
It's a discussion that is guaranteed to go nowhere.
It's a discussion guaranteed to add nothing to the world consciousness.
It's a discussion that has gone beyond having any meaning.

Last edited by Parallax; 03-09-2011 at 06:32 PM.
03-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AGWoodard Quote
Did someone make you the opinion police? What a complete load.
Well, the post asked for opinions...

It plain and simple.
No action (camera) no talk.
If your mind is already made up, all the 'smarty' theories floating around here will appeal more than real user feedback.

anyway : (how it makes everyone happy in the end)
http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-5_s.html

Last edited by pinholecam; 03-09-2011 at 07:13 PM.
03-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Can we close this thread now that the new firmware has been released

03-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Can we close this thread now that the new firmware has been released
I sure hope so If this does, indeed, solve the problems, the failure turns into a great big success in my book.
03-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
I sure hope so If this does, indeed, solve the problems, the failure turns into a great big success in my book.
Well, I installed it about 5 minutes ago and I think you're going to be quite happy then
03-10-2011, 03:58 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I think it followed the footsteps of its predecessors like K10D & K7, so much hopes, yet so many disappointments.
You think do you ? I've see you bashing the K5 almost every opportunity you get, do you have one ? I actually think you are a Canon / Nikon user aren't you (if I remember correctly - maybe I don't) it seems not so you've not actually tried it out have you.

Virtually every test out there, whether from a well known magazine or on a private blog, gives it at least 4 stars (and usually higher) and most rate it higher than not only it's immediate peers (60D & D7k) but also more expensive cameras. Courtesy of DXo, Photozone etc. etc.

It is a massive improvement on the K7 (I have one and still use it) if you appreciate and need the advances made by the K5. The fact that the only 3 issues that affected this camera have either been solved or are solvable by firmware and that Pentax have said they are working on, says it all really. I don't see any reason at all for anyone not to consider this camera if it is on their radar. It is quite superb.
03-10-2011, 05:23 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
You think do you ? I've see you bashing the K5 almost every opportunity you get, do you have one ? I actually think you are a Canon / Nikon user aren't you (if I remember correctly - maybe I don't) it seems not so you've not actually tried it out have you.
He has a K-m and an 40D shown in his signature. I understand that comparing these two cameras anyone would conclude the Canon is superior. But how about comparing K-7 to 1000D? And while at it, compare the 550D with K-r. Or 60D with K-5. Pentax improved a lot since K10D but it is difficult to percieve improvement in x0D line of EOSes.
As another dual system user I believe I'm OK to comment. Yet I hope Canon will pick up soon and introduce a camera that can compete with K-5.
03-10-2011, 06:30 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you guys think that the upper management of Hoya is thrilled? Having to repair or replace unknown quantity of k-5s. Depending on how much that is going to cost them, K-5 can be an utter failure. From that standpoint, k-7 was more of a success than K-5 can ever be.
03-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Do you guys think that the upper management of Hoya is thrilled? Having to repair or replace unknown quantity of k-5s. Depending on how much that is going to cost them, K-5 can be an utter failure. From that standpoint, k-7 was more of a success than K-5 can ever be.
Sure any recall will cost money and affect the bottomline but if the source of the problem was defective Sony sensors, I actually think Pentax would have recourse to recover some cost from Sony. That aside, the fact that Hoya has responded does contribute to greater user confidence and goodwill which does go a long way as satisfied Pentax users are likely to be repeat buyers. That will also dispel any uncertainty over their product offerings and encourage new buyers to experience the Pentax difference. As a one time K-7 user, I personally feel the K-5 has a lot more going compared to the K-7 because I have actually seen more users from other brands becoming new Pentax users with the K-5.
03-10-2011, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

As I've said before, I'm just waitng for the price to fall to where I could possibly afford it

For the naysayers, I have two points.

1. Dynamic Range.. you can't touch it, your photography will suffer if you don't have it. I could put up 50 shots taken with my K20D that would be rescued by an extra 2 Ev of dynamic range.

2. 14 bit resolution.

Face it, as a recorder of images, this camera is one of the top 5. It has technical issues. Every camera ever made has technical issues. I want a camera that will track my retina in the viewfinder and focus on the part of the image my eye is looking at in real time. If my eye settles on a spot for a moment, I want the camera to snap a picture. If it stay on that spot I want it to go into burst mode. I want the camera to come to life the instant my eye approaches the viewfinder and shut down when I'm not looking through the lens.

Am I really going to come on a forum somewhere and trash every camera based on what I think it should do? Or am I going to do what every mature person does, learn to work within the limitations of the system, and make it work for you.

The point I'm making here is, my expectations of what I want have nothing to do with whether or not a camera is a failure. The only issue is can I, with my abilities coax this camera into taking images I enjoy. I love my K20D, so why would I think less than or a K-5? I was shooting icicles the other night, I gave up on the auto-focus, (low light, almost dark) and focussed manually). For people like me who before my *ist never went to autofocus, these cameras are a charm. So every now and then I have to focus manually.. tough nuggies. It's not like I didn't do it for 35 years. IMHO no auto focus doesn't make a camera a failure, forget about a camera that doesn't focus properly in a few ridiculously uncommon situations.

People have to get perspective. My only issue with the K-5 is right now, I can't afford one. Lenses are more important. But I bet I'll have one at the end of their run. You can't let other people's nit picking stop you from making decisions that are good for you. Pentax's job is not to please everyone. My relationship with them is that they have to please me. They do a good job of that.

You end up reading all the complaints and you think "am I like this guy?". If you are, listen to his complaints. If you're like me, and a challenge is just a work around waiting to be born, you evaluate the issues and decide whether you can live with them. In this case, for me, it's all about the image quality. 2 more Evs DR, 14 bit depth, More pixels per image.

Last edited by normhead; 03-10-2011 at 08:44 AM.
03-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
As I've said before, I'm just waitng for the price to fall to where I could possibly afford it

For the naysayers, I have two points.

1. Dynamic Range.. you can't touch it, your photography will suffer if you don't have it. I could put up 50 shots taken with my K20D that would be rescued by an extra 2 Ev of dynamic range.

2. 14 bit resolution.

Face it, as a recorder of images, this camera is one of the top 5. It has technical issues. Every camera ever made has technical issues. I want a camera that will track my retina in the viewfinder and focus on the part of the image my eye is looking at in real time. If my eye settles on a spot for a moment, I want the camera to snap a picture. If it stay on that spot I want it to go into burst mode. I want the camera to come to life the instant my eye approaches the viewfinder and shut down when I'm not looking through the lens.

The point I'm making here is, my expectations of what I want have nothing to do with whether or not a camera is a failure. The only issue is can I, with my abilities coax this camera nto taking images I want. I love my K20D, so why would I think less than or a K-5? I was shooting icicles the other night, I gave up on the auto-focus, (low light, almost dark) and focussed manually). For people like me who before my *ist never went to autofocus, these cameras are a charm. So every now and then I have to focus manually.. tough nuggies. It's not like I didn't do it for 35 years. IMHO no auto focus doesn't make a camera a failure, forget about a camera that doesn't focus properly in a few ridiculously uncommon situations.

People have to get perspective. My only issue with the K-5 is right now, I can't afford one. Lenses are more important. But I bet I'll have one at the end of their run. You can't let other people's nit picking stop you from making decisions that are good for you. Pentax's job is not to please everyone. My relationship with them is that they have to please me. They do a good job of that.
Absolutely. Dynamic range of the K5 is at medium format levels. Pretty amazing if you ask me. I think people who don't remember how the autofocus was on the k20 and prior cameras tend to overestimate its ability to lock focus in low light settings. The K5 wouldn't have to be that great just to beat that and it definitely beats it in everything else.