Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
BTW, Canon is the only camera company in history to completely screw it's entire user base.
Isn't Olympus the other? OK, on Oly it's easier to use adaptor, but still... And I'm not sure about Minolta. And then many others that completely ceased to exist. With Nikon crippling all bodies that do not break my neck I'm left to Pentax as the only choice...

03-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #242
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Isn't Olympus the other? OK, on Oly it's easier to use adaptor, but still... And I'm not sure about Minolta. And then many others that completely ceased to exist. With Nikon crippling all bodies that do not break my neck I'm left to Pentax as the only choice...
I think I would call that "Very Lucky"! Maybe I wouldn't a couple of weeks ago, but I sure would today! If the K5 won't do what someone wants, they are certainly far more advanced than I will ever be. This camera is simply amazing, I'm still in awe over its performance, even in my unskilled hands.
Best Regards!
03-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #243
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I think I would call that "Very Lucky"! Maybe I wouldn't a couple of weeks ago, but I sure would today! If the K5 won't do what someone wants, they are certainly far more advanced than I will ever be. This camera is simply amazing, I'm still in awe over its performance, even in my unskilled hands.
Best Regards!

Same here
03-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #244
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I'd forgotten about Oly, but they were never all that big, Minolta actually continued to support the MD mount for a very long time. The X700 was in production for what seemed like forever, IIRC, they stopped making it about the same time Konica bought them out.
Nikon has always had the option of using old glass, but at the price of one of their top tier bodies.
Companies going out of business happens, and while unfortunate, it isn't really deliberately screwing their user base.
Canon really stands alone in this regard.

03-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #245
Veteran Member

I still have my x700, great little camera that was/is , I might even put a roll of film through it one day !!

I will piss my knickers if in the years ahead canon or Nikon go tits up while pentax soldiers on, what a laugh that would be
03-23-2011, 02:25 AM   #246
Pentaxian

I just did a company dinner event where there were 3 other colleauges/photographers.
Lighting was dim and funky (Tungsten, Halogen, blue, magenta, etc).

So when all four of us uploaded the photos to the company folder, I found to my pleasant surprise that the K5 simply blasted a A700, D90, D7000 out of the water.

Reliable/non-hesitant AF and good high ISO performance with film like grain/noise at ISO800 gave a very good output especially under such 'dirty' lighting that can accentuate chroma noise.

Two things surprised me.
First was AF. I was neither slower nor less accurate. In fact the photos from the other 3 cameras had much more oof shots.

Second was NR on the D7k. Really blotchy, which I found surprising. I can't rule out the lack of knowledge in cleaning up the noise for the D7K user though, but JPEG with NR off on the K5 looks really good indeed.

Failure..... think not!
03-23-2011, 02:44 AM   #247

You're about to become rather expensive to me, do you know that?
I take similar pictures on tour with my band. Indoor, ambient light, I often shoot from the waist as the occasion rises. Never flash.
Now I'm using my K-x - with surprisingly good results actually, but you just reminded me about a way to improve on them.

03-23-2011, 06:37 AM   #248
Veteran Member

I often go to this little Cafe out in the country for home style meals, and always take my camera. For the first time, using my new K5, I had no problem with fast and accurate focusing in the mixed lighting. The K20D would do the job, but often hunted considerably and the WB would always require some work in processing.
The K5 is amazing, fast and accurate, and just plain fun to use!

Granny in Green....The Cook
F5 1/40 50mm ISO 5000
[IMG] [/IMG]

I am not as particular as some so I set the ISO to let the K5 choose up to 12,800 and use Tav mode. This way, I never miss a shot. Might not be a masterpiece, but my chances of getting a Masterpiece are slim and none anyhow.......I just want a usable shot, and the K5 can do that with ease for me.
Best Regards!
03-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #249
Veteran Member

Rupert

are you using Noise reduction in PP...

I just ran your image through denoise...what you reckon...worth it or not ?

lose a bit of detail..might be better if the noise reduction is done on the raw file...this was using the Jpeg setting at light

03-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #250
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
Rupert

are you using Noise reduction in PP...

I just ran your image through denoise...what you reckon...worth it or not ?

lose a bit of detail..might be better if the noise reduction is done on the raw file...this was using the Jpeg setting at light

Tom, Denoise is also good at making granny a few years younger! Look at her arms! They look like they belong on a 20 y/o!
03-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #251
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
Tom, Denoise is also good at making granny a few years younger! Look at her arms! They look like they belong on a 20 y/o!
Think granny might be waiting for Denoise Cream in Jars.
03-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #252
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Steve, it looks a bit too smooth to me, but it's a personal preference of mine to use noise reduction very conservatively. I think about half way between the two (or even a little less) would be better.
03-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #253
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Steve, it looks a bit too smooth to me, but it's a personal preference of mine to use noise reduction very conservatively. I think about half way between the two (or even a little less) would be better.

Jim, I seldom use noise reduction. I am not nearly as particular as some shooters and not as sensitive about noise. Most of it goes away when you print anyhow, unless it is very bad, which does not look to be a problem with the K5.

This camera is so fun to shoot with, I'm still in shock at the speed and quality.

Shot this cigarette salesman at lunch today.....

We shared a Possum Sandwich... Wednesday is Possum Parts Day at the SAK...if you can guess the parts, your meal is free!

Any guesses?

Best Regards!
03-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #254
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Jim, I seldom use noise reduction. I am not nearly as particular as some shooters and not as sensitive about noise.
I was going to say that no noise reduction would be better, but Steve's a Brit living in Australia, so he's a little confused already and I didn't want to complicate things further.
03-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #255
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
but Steve's a Brit living in Australia, so he's a little confused already
Hey, steady on, Jim.
Coming to Australia was where his confusion started to diminish.
(He may have been really confused before, but I'm sure he is improving now, ans a few more years in Oz will see him cured)