Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #46

Photos: Albums
The banding is very clear and ugly when opening the pef file in IrfanView. Whatever the reason, this is not cool

03-14-2011, 03:22 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redcurl Quote
Here is a link for downloading the original .pef file

IMGP0018.PEF
Wow, that's absolutely weird. Using DCU (for mac) 4.31 (is that new enough?), I get an absolutely ridiculously low quality jpeg. It's not only the blue sky, have a look at the rocks on the left hand, some part of the rocks have blocks of colors as if they were taken from a 20 year old video game.

But using Aperture 3.1.1, I get a nice picture with smooth sky and lots of details in the rocks.
03-14-2011, 03:30 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Wow, that's absolutely weird. Using DCU (for mac) 4.31 (is that new enough?), I get an absolutely ridiculously low quality jpeg.
Ok, I understand it now, it's just that it's the first time I used this version of DCU. The image that opened in the foreground when I double-clicked the PEF, must have been the preview jpeg from the camera. If I view the image in the main window of DCU, it looks completely different and also saves as a beautiful JPEG. Very confusing interface - but that's all.
03-14-2011, 05:16 AM   #49
Veteran Member

I downloaded Lightroom and there is nothing technically wrong with the image other than the blue channel being slightly blown which can be fixed in CameraRAW - I did it very simply by reducing the exposure slightly.

So, I'd suggest the problem is entirely to do with how the OP is processing his images. What software? What steps, exactly?

03-14-2011, 05:18 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
So, I'd suggest the problem is entirely to do with how the OP is processing his images. What software? What steps, exactly?
See my previous post. The OP is just misunderstanding the interface of Pentax DCU - the bad image is just the preview JPEG.
03-14-2011, 05:23 AM   #51
Veteran Member

I wasn't sure the OP was originally using the PDCU - in fact I'm not really clear what the OP is doing, I suspect they are not either hence the problem. However enough of us (I hope) have said the image itself is fine for the OP to look carefully at how they are using their software it as that clearly is where the problem lies.
03-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
redcurl: The next step will be to take pictures in DNG instead of PEF.
Richard, I get the same banding in blue skies with my K20d, with Pef & Dng files--it is not just a preview jpg issue. I can post Raws if it helps in any way-just let me know.
03-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I doubt very much it's a camera or format issue. The other person used Mediafire to upload his PEF to:

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

03-15-2011, 01:14 AM   #54

Photos: Gallery
afaik. if you are uploading to flickr and the images are big, flickr will auto-resize them. I think the banding/posterization is caused by the flickr converter because it chops off too many bits to make the file size more web friendly.

I have had this before as well!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55095257@N00/4925434107/
03-15-2011, 02:27 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 0rangepeel Quote
afaik. if you are uploading to flickr and the images are big, flickr will auto-resize them.
No.

Again: This is purely a DCU problem. I'm no longer exactly sure what goes wrong, since even in DCU the problem went away for me, but the first time I opened the image in PDU, it looked exactly like the OP's version, and not only the sky, but also the rocks, looked extremely posterized.
03-15-2011, 04:45 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 0rangepeel Quote
afaik. if you are uploading to flickr and the images are big, flickr will auto-resize them. I think the banding/posterization is caused by the flickr converter because it chops off too many bits to make the file size more web friendly.

I have had this before as well!

Almost Cliche Tourist Picture {90/365} | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I have uploaded the full-size version of Redcurl's image to Flickr and it's fine.

All sizes | IMGP0018 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
03-16-2011, 04:49 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I bet the OP set the lowest JPG quality (1 star) on his camera, hence the camera (and PDCU preview) shows a crap picture.
03-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Here is an old DNG file--I stopped using DNG some time back, in favor of PEF. This will happen in my K20d, now and then, with no rhyme or reason to its cause. But it is clearly caused by the camera, not software: no matter what I open the Raw file with, the banding is present.

SHOT2187.dng
03-17-2011, 03:44 AM   #59
Veteran Member

OK, what banding where? I opened it in Photoshop and can't see the faintest hint of banding. If you want I'll save it as a JPG and upload it to Flickr.

How exactly were you opening your DNGs?
03-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
OK, what banding where? I opened it in Photoshop and can't see the faintest hint of banding. If you want I'll save it as a JPG and upload it to Flickr.

How exactly were you opening your DNGs?
I never had Photoshop, until a few days ago--but I need to install it on my PC. This is a downsized jpg, done with FastStone. The banding is much more obvious @ full size: