Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #181
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
If it will shoot Squirrels on a shaded tree branch, or naked girls in a dimly lit room, I will be well satisfied.

I have the Squirrels.......may not ever get the girls, but I want to be prepared, just in case.
Rupert - thats a great shot of that squirrel! Love that shot.

03-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #182

rupert.......that squirrel is showing it's goods at me!!!! this is a family friendly site!! haha great shot man

-raph
03-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by adestefan Quote
I never understood this. Why do you want to turn off the AF assist light? It's there to help with AF. If you turn it off, you're disabling one of the features the camera has to make AF better.
Further to previous replies, sometimes the presence green AF assist light is undesirable. Here's a real life example: a few weeks ago, I was shooting production photos for a theater group and in that situation, I couldn't use flash or the AF assist light because it would have been distracting. During that same shoot, I was using a K-7 and K-5 in the effect LV conditions of 1~2, and the K-5 was front focusing quite badly, so I ended up using manual focus with that camera.
03-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #184

I have not had a problem in low light before so I have never had the FF problems. The AF always worked. The AF is noticeably faster with 1.03. Awesome!

03-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #185
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
If it will shoot Squirrels on a shaded tree branch, or naked girls in a dimly lit room, I will be well satisfied.
Since we have no squirrels in Australia, I'll have to volunteer for the second test!
03-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Since we have no squirrels in Australia, I'll have to volunteer for the second test!
I'd rather substitute a possum if it means you're volunteering to replace the dimly lit girls...
03-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #187
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
I'd rather substitute a possum if it means you're volunteering to replace the dimly lit girls...

I'm with you, nothing personal, but I will take the Possum too!

Glad you guys liked Otis, it took me a long time that day to get him to pose like that. He kept wanting to break for peanuts......I was patient, but when he started demanding cold beer with his peanuts, I just snapped what I could get and gave up.
Regards!
03-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Did anybody else notice that this firmware loaded waaay faster than 1.02? I just did 1.02 about 48 hrs. ago when I got the camera. Perhaps not much code was required to fix this.
If there is a difference (+ or -) I certainly could not tell. To me installation time felt exactly the same from previous ones.

Greetings from sunny Melbourne

03-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #189
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
Stealthy candids.
Hahaha. I just got a K5 after years without focus assist on my K100D.

I forgot all about the assist light until today. Attending a School play with the family. Wonderfully attractive parent standing about 20 ft in front of us. Quite the "figure".

I should say I am a very good aim at shooting from the hip.

When I did the half press I was horrified when her posterior lit up in the dark theater like a green christmas tree. A couple guys around me snickered and knew exactly what I was up to.

At the end of the play we were walking out and I subconsciously did it again. My wife is going to start wondering what the strange green light is that keeps illuminating wonderful posteriors is.

Its like a visual Freudian slip!
03-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #190
Veteran Member

I just did a studio shoot with a naked girl in a dimly lit room, and i had to turn up the modeling lamps on the studio flashes to get the K-5 to work properly. No squirrels were present. (or possums) I guess I'll have to organism another naked girl to try it with 1.03.
03-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Upgraded my K-5 yesterday. I received it recently enough so that I did not really have a chance to shoot in really low light, yet. Played in length with my FA 31 that previously I thought needed +5 correction. It seems to focus spot on now, even in dimly lit room. Subjectively, it seems the camera hunts less and focuses more confidently.

I was happy about my K-5 before. I am a bit happier now.

Good shooting, everyone!
03-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #192
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JasonS Quote
Hahaha. I just got a K5 after years without focus assist on my K100D.

I forgot all about the assist light until today. Attending a School play with the family. Wonderfully attractive parent standing about 20 ft in front of us. Quite the "figure".

I should say I am a very good aim at shooting from the hip.

When I did the half press I was horrified when her posterior lit up in the dark theater like a green christmas tree. A couple guys around me snickered and knew exactly what I was up to.

At the end of the play we were walking out and I subconsciously did it again. My wife is going to start wondering what the strange green light is that keeps illuminating wonderful posteriors is.

Its like a visual Freudian slip!
If you shoot with big glass like a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 or the new 85mm f/1.4 the AF assist light is pretty much blocked by the large lens. It is pretty much a useless feature on big glass.
03-11-2011, 01:21 AM   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Subjectively, it seems the camera hunts less and focuses more confidently.
Yeah, that's my impression too : either it can focus and will do so nearly as fast as in broad daylight (with rarely even a focus check), or it cannot, and will fail to lock focus.

I've made quite a lot of low-light focus tests in the past weeks, and this difference leaped at me after installing the 1.03.
03-11-2011, 01:45 AM   #194
Veteran Member

Anyone also has the sensation they removed the small time lag there was on half-press?

When I bought my K5, I tried it head-to-head with my K7, and found that, although the K5 has a faster AF motor, it also lost a little time between half-press and focus when compared to the K7. So both camera ended up with roughly the same total focus time, despite the faster AF motor.

EDIT: This was partially demonstrated in the FNAC lab test, by the way : the K7 had a slightly faster focus confirm (first snap of a moving target occurred sooner than with the K5), but after that lost it completely.

Now, with the v1.03, this little lag seems to have been removed. The camera now focuses right from half-press, whereas before it obviously waited for something before focusing.
03-11-2011, 02:34 AM   #195

success :)

finally got to installing the firmware. did a reset of the AF fine adjustment just to be sure. fired away at some very dimly lit stuff, and for the most part, it's pretty good focus accuracy i have old tokina f/2.8 zooms....adjusted the heck out of the AF adjustment before. took it on faith that the camera would figure it out, and figure it out she did. just to be sure, i stopped it down to f/4.0 and results were quite fantastic. love it!!

on a tangential note, got somewhat better results when i put on my 540 FGZ flash. highlight correction is still on, i kept ISO at 400, and shot in P. still not perfect....but getting there. shall we raise a stink about that now??

-raph
Closed Thread