03-18-2011, 05:34 AM   #286
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I have re opened this.
Thanks, Parallax!

03-18-2011, 05:45 AM   #287
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
...my experience over the past 4 decades of product use, especially cameras tells me that products rolling off an assembly line are bound to have the occasional flaw.
I don't think anyone thinks that every single copy will be perfect. I think what BillO and I take issue with is that the design is flawed, i.e., every single copy of the camera (or a very large batch) has the same problem.

The K-7 had a green line syndrome and a shutter blur problem. The latter was never addressed. The K-5 has less of a shutter problem but it isn't as good as the K20D (most likely because the engineers weren't aware of the K-7's problem and only somewhat accidentally reduced the problem for the K-5 probably in an attempt to make the shutter even quieter).

We all know the problems the K-5 had and has (the FF problem is apparently not solved yet).

Cameras in the price bracket of the K-5 are supposed to be optical precision instruments. I think it is reasonable to expect respective performance.

Of course there are business realities and it probably was better for Pentax to get the K-5 out early in order to not have it appear as a "me too Nikon D7000" and lose a lot of sales to Nikon. But still, isn't the mentality to accept eroding product quality as having a mature approach to unchangeable realities, as a matter of fact, shaping the reality in undesirable ways?

It seems customers can only vote with their wallets so it appears entirely reasonable to me if they do.

Last edited by Class A; 03-18-2011 at 07:04 AM.
03-18-2011, 06:56 AM   #288
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been through the K5 Wars, done battle, was injured and injured others....I'm done with it.

I can tell you for a fact that 1.03 worked for me and my Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.0 that was FF in very dim light now focuses as well as it does in sunlight. All my lenses are focusing well, and I just have no complaint. Others may, I won't argue, but if I was any more satisfied with this camera I would not know how to emphasize it. The camera is absolutely superb. Was it made in Heaven by the hands of God? No, but it might not have been much better?

You guys slug it out, I am having so much fun with my new K5 I don't care if you kill each other, for me it is time to go out and shoot the world.....and Squirrels!
Best Regards!
[IMG] [/IMG]
03-18-2011, 07:57 AM   #289
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm done with it.
+1 with confirmation from an authentic nut case...

Cheers & Enjoy the Season...

Attached Images

03-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #290

Can anyone tell my the MD5 of the v1.03 firmware???

I download it today and the MD5 is: 621abf19c13b7890056ce50cf792f8a6
I haven't any hits in google, with this MD5
03-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #291
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
...I think what BillO and I take issue with is that the design is flawed, i.e., every single copy of the camera (or a very large batch) has the same problem....
Class A, it seems you can roll off all the issues of the current and previous Pentax cameras and claim the K-5 is flawed, but it seems from your profile you're still stuck with your old and discontinued K100D and you haven't even progressed to the K10D, K200D, K20D, K-m, K-7, K-x, or even the current K-r and the K-5. Sorry but I think that fact speaks volumes because talk is easy on the internet. But if you're not prepared to put your money where your mouth is and don't even own the present crop of Pentax cameras, don't expect people to pay much attention to what you have to say because you've simply got no firsthand knowledge to judge of how good or bad the K-5 really is.
03-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #292

$1500 is peanuts. Not to me, personally, but in the grand scheme. A high-end Canikon costs 2-3 times as much. Pentax's top-end costs 7 times that. Really high-end cameras cost much more.

And all of them have their problems. I'm with Wheatfield, if you wait for the perfect camera with no issues at all you'll never buy one. And that applies to all consumer goods, it's the nature of the beast. Companies are trying to produce reasonable quality products at a price point that's near impossible to meet.

Here's a good quote; he's talking about lenses, but it applies to camera bodies, IMO:

"...for those of you who are screaming “for $2,000 my zoom lens should be perfect” let me introduce a bit of perspective. A nice, cinema quality (read the best it can possibly be) prime lens runs anywhere from $8,000 to $25,000, while a top quality cinema zoom runs from $25,000 to $70,000. And even at that price a technician will need to spend an hour or so adjusting the lens to the camera that’s using it to get the absolute best results. The best SLR lenses don’t even approach the quality (or quality control) of an entry level cinema lens. Not to mention you probably don’t have a full-time camera tech." Roger, LensRentals.

03-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #293
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Yesterday: Bramela made this post requesting the thread take a different direction than the one it was headed.

Yesterday: I closed the thread because a select few wanted to back and forth, and back an forth, and back, and forth about how Pentax should operate as a company, and what they should or shouldn't have done.

Later Yesterday: Someone used the Mod Contact Form asking that it be reopened so the the discussion could continue.

Today: I re-opened the thread for those that wanted to actually discuss the thread topic, rather than continue the "Pentax should have done this - No, they shouldn't" "Nothing is perfect - Well it should be!" ad nauseum.

Oh well, it was worth a try. Sigh........................

Now: CLOSED
Closed Thread