Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #121
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
That's exactly where I am right now. It's in the shopping cart, next day air selected and waiting for just a tad more confidence.
Oh suck it up, cupcake, and hit the <Enter> key!

03-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #122
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine is on the way! Be here Monday, maybe sooner?
Go ahead, what have you got to lose? A little time, but I think it is going to be a l killer camera now, except for this problem, it already was.

When you see this guy, Mr Don, order the K5 you know it is time to hit the "Buy Now" button, and he did! Got his K5 today, as you can see, his was a "Special Order". He gave his life here fighting the battle that helped get this firmware....he is a loyal Pentaxian, and I hope the "Powers That Be" will give my old Buddy another chance on PF. He is a great shooter with unique processing abilities, and a lot of skill and love for Pentax and his fellow Pentaxians. Misunderstood at times, a little rough around the edges at times, but when you need a Pal, he never fails you.
Best Regards

The Pentax Mr Don Citron Special Edition
[IMG] [/IMG]
03-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Oh suck it up, cupcake, and hit the <Enter> key!
You don't know how close I am to doing just that
03-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
That's exactly where I am right now. It's in the shopping cart, next day air selected and waiting for just a tad more confidence.

In my case it will be #4 as well, but I'm hoping for the focus accuracy of my K100D Super.

+

03-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Come on Al, you are spoiling the party! You know you will never be happy until you try it this one last time......It's like that long legged blond that almost got me shot by Mrs Rupert. Now if I hadn't at least given it a try, I would be here now 40 years later wondering what I missed....which turned out to be missed only by a misfire of Mrs Rupert's pistola!

Go for it,we've got your back!
Best Regards
Rupert
03-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #126

does anybody know what are the specs Pentax has for the AF-system? what are the limits of it in terms of EV?

I am asking this because for me it seems that some of us have quite exaggerated expectations. There is fellows who are complaining that his/her K-5 FF in -1 EV !

I think that any camera maker has not so far promised this kind of performance, has they?
03-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #127

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote

+
The focus on the Jack Daniel's is spot on!

03-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #128

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
OK, for those who want to do a quick practical test to see if the AF under dim conditions has improved, I will post the testing steps again:

-Set camera to AF-C or turn off AF assist light
I never understood this. Why do you want to turn off the AF assist light? It's there to help with AF. If you turn it off, you're disabling one of the features the camera has to make AF better.
03-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #129

Just curious....is there any reason why this update is not appearing on the Pentax USA site?
03-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #130
Banned

Please, can anyone do some serious tests in low light (eventually using focus charts)? I believe is not only falconeye's "duty" to publish some results concerning the new behaviour of the camera.
Thanks in advance.
03-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwibird Quote
Just curious....is there any reason why this update is not appearing on the Pentax USA site?
Well, if you read that interview with old Ned, he is a big Tomato Enthusiast, and this is tomato planting time......He is most likely planting and cleaning his Leica lenses in anticipation of the first blooms of Spring. In all the uproar, Ned has been surprisingly silent........Maybe when he gets his next new Leica we will hear more form him?
Best Regards!
03-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adestefan Quote
I never understood this. Why do you want to turn off the AF assist light? It's there to help with AF. If you turn it off, you're disabling one of the features the camera has to make AF better.
If you are taking picture of an event, you may not want to annoy people with you green light.
Also the AF assist light has a short range, if you focus on a distant object it just won't help anyway.
03-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
Please, can anyone do some serious tests in low light (eventually using focus charts)? I believe is not only falconeye's "duty" to publish some results concerning the new behaviour of the camera.
Thanks in advance.
Yes I've done some. using a focus chart

I'm going out then when I get back I will do all the admin work of naming the pics and getting them ready for upload
03-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
does anybody know what are the specs Pentax has for the AF-system? what are the limits of it in terms of EV?

I am asking this because for me it seems that some of us have quite exaggerated expectations. There is fellows who are complaining that his/her K-5 FF in -1 EV !

I think that any camera maker has not so far promised this kind of performance, has they?
At the risk of being repetitive, all I expect is for the AF of the K-5 to be at least as accurate as my old K100DS when shooting in similar lighting conditions. None of the three K-5s I owned lived up to that expectation. Is that too much to ask?

Now that there is an AF fix, I'll try again.
03-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adestefan Quote
The af assist light is only good for specific situations. When you want to track dancers dancing, for example, you need continuous focus. Besides, the af assist light is a bit of a cheat to lighten up the subject.
Closed Thread