Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #61

Photos: Albums
now we just need tethering!

But that's in a different category of firmware updates (fixes versus new features)

03-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Did anybody else notice that this firmware loaded waaay faster than 1.02? I just did 1.02 about 48 hrs. ago when I got the camera. Perhaps not much code was required to fix this.
It's a full firmware, not a patch. If it was a patch people not on 1.02 would have to load that first. So, there's no logical reason for it to load faster as the size is probably similar.
03-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #63

Hurrah. Did someone tell Pentax its my birthday today... \o/

Yippee, now to quickly test...
03-10-2011, 12:34 AM   #64
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes Campdog

I wish they would add to the instructions that when install is done it will say "Complete" on the screen AND the write LED will start flashing.

Switch off, take the SD card out you're done (now delete the file from the card before you try using it for images again).

03-10-2011, 01:37 AM   #65

Firstly the FF was not a big deal. Secondly I knew it was going to get fixed. And third - it did get fixed.

What else?

Ah, yes, this was practically the only problem with the K5, so... stop complaining and start shooting!!!

Thanks to all Pentax engineers for the attitude!
03-10-2011, 02:00 AM   #66
Veteran Member

quick test seems to have solved the issue.
03-10-2011, 02:19 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
My K20D focus works perfectly at EV2 in all situations i've tried. the K-5 AF has worked in some situations at EV2 but there's many situations including the test above where it has failed miserably.
What puzzles me slightly about your results is that the K20D is not supposed to do well in Tungsten light. That's why Pentax introduced the colorimetric sensor with the K-7. I wonder how the K20D can outperform the K-5 in all sorts of lighting conditions. In some, maybe, but it shouldn't be able to do it in all of them.

03-10-2011, 02:25 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
take the SD card out you're done (now delete the file from the card before you try using it for images again).
you dont need to do that
03-10-2011, 02:44 AM   #69
Veteran Member

The AF lamp is now broken in 1.03 it does not come on no matter what conditions...

edit: Okay i fixed it, you have to turn OFF the AF assist lamp in the menu, attempt a shot, then turn the AF assist lamp back ON and it starts working again!

menu: c / 3 /17

Interesting! the camera was focusing just fine in a lot of conditions it now considers need the AF lamp.
03-10-2011, 03:47 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
The AF lamp is now broken in 1.03 it does not come on no matter what conditions...

edit: Okay i fixed it, you have to turn OFF the AF assist lamp in the menu, attempt a shot, then turn the AF assist lamp back ON and it starts working again!

menu: c / 3 /17

Interesting! the camera was focusing just fine in a lot of conditions it now considers need the AF lamp.
Judging from some posts in this thread, I think it is probably a good idea to reset the camera to factory settings after installing 1.03.
03-10-2011, 03:58 AM   #71
Banned

Can you make some/more tests with this 1.0.3 firmware, please? It really improve the ff issue or Pentax just scores at the artistic impression?
03-10-2011, 04:45 AM   #72
Fer
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dreamfoto Quote
Firstly the FF was not a big deal. Secondly I knew it was going to get fixed. And third - it did get fixed.

Thanks to all Pentax engineers for the attitude!
Sure, no big deal. ALL my photos in tungsten light are front- focused, but I guess that's unimportant.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this firmware will fix it.
03-10-2011, 04:52 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by efkelly Quote
Too bad the bounce flash overexposure issue still exists. As an event/wedding photographer it kind of stinks. I wonder why this does not get the same amount of attention as the sensor stain or FF issues (maybe not a lot of pentax shooters use flash?). I have had 4 bodies that exhibit all the same behavior. For the people who aren't aware of the problem, set your camera on Manual, f4-5.6, 1/50th second, and any ISO (as long as the scene is not over exposed to begin with. For example, indoors at an event, I will typically shoot at f4-5.6,1/50 sec, and ISO 800 (to conserve flash battery power- at a higher ISO the flash will not have to work as hard)) and try using any flash bounced off the ceiling and compare it to direct (IN PTTL). The flash will overexpose by about a stop or more every time. The only way I have found to control it is to put the camera's highlight expansion on and to dial down the flash exposure -1/3 or -1/5. This is not a permanent solution because when I need direct flash, I have to fumble around to dial the flash up again. When I get some more time, I will post some comparison shots.

Eric
Eric
I do not know what type of flash you are using, but I have a hunch it may have more to do with you flash unit than the camera. I am using the Metz 58 AF-1 with the K-5 and I had a bit of a problem with it similar to yours. However since updating the Metz FW to Ver. 3.0 all problems I previously experienced are gone.

Just for interest I replicated some shots with your above mentioned settings and everything seems perfect to me. My K-5 and the Metz are now a happily married couple.

Greetings from sunny Melbourne
03-10-2011, 05:26 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Okay, I've ran some quick tests, and from what I saw, the problem is solved for me...

Using my FA50/1.4, the camera now focuses quickly and accurately, without Assist lamp, right down to EV -0.12 (1/60, f/1.4, 12800 iso), whereas before it failed to do so at a mere EV2-3!!!
Moreover, it was on a face without any direct light (no specular reflections), so lots of red-ish light, low contrast.

Below that (and still without the AF assist lamp), and you can see a slight drift toward FF... But it's at such ridiculous light levels (going into 51200 and low speed territory here) that I had trouble finding the target, so...

Will do some more tests tonight , as it's full daylight right now and finding a dark place is not easy!
03-10-2011, 05:44 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
now we just need tethering!

But that's in a different category of firmware updates (fixes versus new features)
The FW already supports tethering. The missing piece is the PC application software.
Closed Thread