Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 05:48 AM   #76

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
Did you used tungsten light? Or it's in low daylight?
Did you RESET camera after the update?
Tungsten light (on a dimmer switch). Center focus. RESET the camera (i.e. turn it off after firmware update, then turn it back on?) Yes.

I redid the test this morning just to be sure, The tripod was still set up, and the dimmer switch for the lights was in the same position. Sun not up yet. Same result. The AF light comes on for Live View, but not in normal mode. Focus would be better if the assist light came on, but the K-5 gives focus confirmation without it.

03-10-2011, 05:54 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
Smeggy,

A request:

My K20 will not hold DOF in low light (EV2) at f1.4 (FA 50) and probably not at 2.0 either. It is close at 2.8 and in at f4, no trouble at f5.6.

If the K5 would do at least as well as that, it would be ok for most indoor shots I would be shooting (well, except for the bounce issue).

Can you shoot a comparison or test at f4 EV 2 or so?

If that looks ok, I will probably re-order the K5 as it will work about as well as my K20 does.

I must say that the Contrast and PDAF shots in this thread are not at all encouraging, as they look just like the results I saw with my earlier K5 bodies.

Thanks,

Ray
Hi there Ray

I intend to do a direct comparison between the K20D and K-5 today using different lenses and as many different lighting scenarios as I can muster up the energy for

Be few hours though as I have to go out today also
03-10-2011, 05:58 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
What puzzles me slightly about your results is that the K20D is not supposed to do well in Tungsten light. That's why Pentax introduced the colorimetric sensor with the K-7. I wonder how the K20D can outperform the K-5 in all sorts of lighting conditions. In some, maybe, but it shouldn't be able to do it in all of them.
Well I dunno, but last night's frenzy of shooting using the same lens on the K20D and the K-5 in my dimly lit room showed the K20D smoked the K-5 in terms of AF at EV2 and below, Maybe I'm just lucky ot have a good K20D copy.
03-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Well I dunno, but last night's frenzy of shooting using the same lens on the K20D and the K-5 in my dimly lit room showed the K20D smoked the K-5 in terms of AF at EV2 and below, Maybe I'm just lucky ot have a good K20D copy.
I guess you do. My K20 hunts all over the place with EV less than about 3 and front focuses as well if using apertures wider than f2.8 with tungsten lighting. I have pretty much quit using it in those situations and use my K7 instead, because although the high iso isn't as good, the focus is much better.

03-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Oh the other thing I noticed is some new behaviour of the Assist light. I turned the ligth off for my initial tests last night, but I decided to turn it on and see what happened. I found the assist light randomly turned on at roughly EV2 in phase AF mode. Also I had situations in similar light levels where the assist light wouldn't show in phase AF but came on everytime when I tried to contrast AF in Live View. most odd.
03-10-2011, 06:04 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee Quote
Tungsten light (on a dimmer switch). Center focus. RESET the camera (i.e. turn it off after firmware update, then turn it back on?) Yes.

I redid the test this morning just to be sure, The tripod was still set up, and the dimmer switch for the lights was in the same position. Sun not up yet. Same result. The AF light comes on for Live View, but not in normal mode. Focus would be better if the assist light came on, but the K-5 gives focus confirmation without it.
Yes just confirmed that above. Hmmmm
03-10-2011, 06:21 AM   #82
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Eric
I do not know what type of flash you are using, but I have a hunch it may have more to do with you flash unit than the camera. I am using the Metz 58 AF-1 with the K-5 and I had a bit of a problem with it similar to yours. However since updating the Metz FW to Ver. 3.0 all problems I previously experienced are gone.

Just for interest I replicated some shots with your above mentioned settings and everything seems perfect to me. My K-5 and the Metz are now a happily married couple.

Greetings from sunny Melbourne
I have used a Metz 58 af-2 and a Metz 50 af-1. They work fine on my K-r. I have 2 K-5's and they both exhibit the same behavior versus the K-r. Will post some pics later-

03-10-2011, 06:23 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Did anybody else notice that this firmware loaded waaay faster than 1.02? I just did 1.02 about 48 hrs. ago when I got the camera. Perhaps not much code was required to fix this.
Am I missing something here ? Surely 1.03 will include ALL updates (inc. those of 1.01 and 1.02), No ?
03-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #84
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Am I missing something here ? Surely 1.03 will include ALL updates (inc. those of 1.01 and 1.02), No ?
Yes, but there may be some mechanism to compare individual blocks by checksums and replace only the ones that have changed. Maybe not likely, but definitely possible.
03-10-2011, 06:32 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Yes, all included...

dave
03-10-2011, 06:34 AM   #86

QuoteOriginally posted by efkelly Quote
I have used a Metz 58 af-2 and a Metz 50 af-1. They work fine on my K-r. I have 2 K-5's and they both exhibit the same behavior versus the K-r. Will post some pics later-
Do you have the most recent Metz Firmware 3.0 on your Flash Units?
03-10-2011, 06:43 AM   #87

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Just a kind word for you for coming forth a few days back on the other forum and taking some lumps and still keeping a positive attitude.

While Pentax has been ultra tight lipped in recent years it's good to see that someone in Greece broke the "silence".

I know that it was posted here by Adam a week back but you boldly stood by your comments. Congrats.

Stephen
Thanks Stephen
03-10-2011, 06:46 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess you do. My K20 hunts all over the place with EV less than about 3 and front focuses as well if using apertures wider than f2.8 with tungsten lighting. I have pretty much quit using it in those situations and use my K7 instead, because although the high iso isn't as good, the focus is much better.
+1. Same for K10d, which I now use manual focus, only. I could fill a hard drive with shots in low light and out of focus with those two.

I sometimes wonder, just reading this thread as an outsider to the K5 world whether some of the folks who are really dissatisfied with the focus on their copy of the K5 hit the jackpot with their copy of the K20d.

Last edited by GeneV; 03-10-2011 at 06:55 AM.
03-10-2011, 06:48 AM   #89

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Judging from some posts in this thread, I think it is probably a good idea to reset the camera to factory settings after installing 1.03.
This!

If you had adjusted the AF, the firmware might alter the AF settings in general. You probably need to reset all the settings and adjust it again. Makes sense to me.

I hope people can confirm this..
03-10-2011, 06:55 AM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
..... awaiting yoda falk to weigh in when he has tested the firmware.... his nonpareil testing/results will be most interesting to note....
Closed Thread