Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 06:56 AM   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Yes just confirmed that above. Hmmmm
But that is not a new behavior, I've noticed it before. Live view turns on the assist lamp long before the PF does even with 1.02.

03-10-2011, 07:02 AM   #92

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serpiente Quote
Originally posted by Erik
Judging from some posts in this thread, I think it is probably a good idea to reset the camera to factory settings after installing 1.03.
This!

If you had adjusted the AF, the firmware might alter the AF settings in general. You probably need to reset all the settings and adjust it again. Makes sense to me.
Since a reset seems necessary it's probably smarter to do the reset before installing the FW update
03-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geezer52 Quote
Since a reset seems necessary it's probably smarter to do the reset before installing the FW update
Ideally it shouldn't matter, but consider that the "reset" routine itself may have changed between 1.02 and 1.03, so that what was once a default value is no longer so. Therefore, I think it makes more sense to reset after updating.
03-10-2011, 07:05 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geezer52 Quote
As far as I can tell, there is no reason to do a reset before or after the firmware update unless you want to go back and re-enter all your custom function settings. If resetting the camera were an important part of the firmware updating process, it would either take place automatically as part of the update or be explicitly included in the instructions. I realize I will likely get blasted for making such a bold assumption, but that's the way I see it.

03-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #95
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I also discovered the fix is not perfect, and there is still FF in some situations.

I have just taken a number of shots, all on the FA43, f1.9, ISO100

Low level daylight, t=5s (EV -0.47): fine
Dimmed halogen light, t=10s (EV -1.47): fine
Dimmed halogen light, t=4s (EV -0.15): slight FF
Dimmed halogen light, t=1.3s (EV 1.47): slight FF
Dimmed halogen light, t=0.6s (EV2.59): fine
Halogen light (max brightness), t=1/4s (EV 3.85): fine

The degree of FF is less than before, but the camera is still not perfectly focused.

I'm happy to post some photos if there is interest, but I'm lazy and I'm hoping you will just take my word on it.

Bottom line: it's an improvement, but not perfect. Since I was pretty happy with the camera before, I'm obviously still happy with it, but ever so slightly disappointed that the firmware fix was not perfect.
I've stayed out of this issue so far, as I don't have a K5; but now I am really confused.
Haven't you maintained all along that your camera had no FF issue? It worked just fine, right? But the new firmware didn't fix the non existent problem completely, it only partially fixed the non existent problem.
What am I missing? confused2
03-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I've stayed out of this issue so far, as I don't have a K5; but now I am really confused.
Haven't you maintained all along that your camera had no FF issue? It worked just fine, right? But the new firmware didn't fix the non existent problem completely, it only partially fixed the non existent problem.
What am I missing? :confused2:
I'm glad YOU said this. I was thinking it, but I kept quiet. Christine has already accused me of being a troll
03-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #97
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess we think alike Jim......well, sorta.....I was wondering the same thing. I am also wondering how many with "perfect focus" have or will be downloading the new firmware at their soonest convenience?

Hey, that's OK, all is forgiven here, the goal all along has been to get a fix that will make everyone happy and allow doubters to go ahead and purchase the K5. Mine was ordered last night, by Otis.

Personally, I hope we can all move on and get along. I have no regrets for my part in "whining" and thank those that also were loud squeaking wheels, the grease does not come without a lot of noise. Those that think Pentax doesn't read these Forums is not living in the real world. They heard us and responded.
Now, can we all get to shooting and posting our shots in the thread here with all those other great K5 shots? I'll be a little late, but Monday is just around the corner.

Best Regards!

03-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Hopefully harmony will reign once again in Pentaxland with this new firmware. Instead of in-fighting we should actively use our K-5s to post more pictures (good ones of course) and win over the Canikon crowd who are paying a lot more money for their gear but missing the Pentax party. We need to be Pentax evangelists because with more users on board, eventually we'll get to see more exotic lens offerings in the line-up.
03-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
resetting is probably important IF you have messed with global or lens AF adjustments at all before 1.03
03-10-2011, 07:52 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Good News

QuoteOriginally posted by nixifo Quote
I want to be the first to take credit for this firmware update appearing when it did:

The K7 I bought arrives today....

Ray
03-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee Quote
Actually, very little improvement, if any.
Thoughts?
Just did a test with my DA40 and its perfect focus, LV or Phase mode. I suspect your lens needs adjustment? Is it a consistent with different light levels?

Did you already have lens adjustments in place before the firmware update you've not reset?
03-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #102
Veteran Member

I'm also glad you said this. This thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/136142-wow-k-5-has-amazi...ish-light.html seems awfully contrary to the post 1.03 report from same forum member.
03-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #103
Banned

Great thing this.

Now we can also use the internal flash with SDM-lenses and liveview. Going to make more pics now.
03-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Just did a test with my DA40 and its perfect focus, LV or Phase mode. I suspect your lens needs adjustment? Is it a consistent with different light levels?

Did you already have lens adjustments in place before the firmware update you've not reset?
This is a pertinent point. I've had to recalibrate my Sigma 30/1.4 following the update. I suggest everyone checks the calibration of their lenses in daylight before making any in depth tests.
03-10-2011, 08:12 AM   #105
gtl
Veteran Member

The question is, does your sigma now focus similarly in bright light and low light? Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
This is a pertinent point. I've had to recalibrate my Sigma 30/1.4 following the update. I suggest everyone checks the calibration of their lenses in daylight before making any in depth tests.
Closed Thread