Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #211
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Well, here are my thoughts on your problems:
- batteries are not good targets (specially when grouped like you did), as 1) they are rounded, and 2) you don't know what battery the AF module (whose size is far greater than the small red square) will pick as a target...
- keeping the background "open" can lead to another set of problem, as your camera can pick another different light source (say, a window in a tungsten-lit room, or a fluo lamp) and apply the wrong AF adjustment (seeing how your background is overexposed, this is a possibility).

Now you can take the following things into considerations:
- using focus test charts will get you the "perfect" AF fine-tune, but could still produce a slight FF if you always shoot faces in low-light situations.
- focus tests are "prefect" targets, where the contrast is high. Real-life targets will restrict you to higher Ev, as they often have less contrast.
Thanks dlacouture,
I had the batteries with space between and perfectly in angle but when i used both the black and the silvery I put them together and took the photos at so close distans that I can focus exactly att the same spot, on the Philipssign and on the text on the silvery. On the picture the left battery is turned i little but that hasnīt been the case. I actually get consistent result within each test, black batteries, silvery and chart, but it is the fact that when I make different test design and get a stable result within but not between an other design, which bothers me.
I used only center point and didnt thought a light background should affect so much because the center point was so far away from it (i focused near the bottom) and I had a black textile under the batteries. I understand from your fedback that my design is more like natural circumstances for photography and would serve only as test in that aspect. I got rather good withinconsistent result anyway but understand more now that AF has inevitable deficits in interpreting the real world. I hope they come up with an matrix world soon that lacks those deficits.

Last edited by mrmentera; 03-11-2011 at 12:39 PM.
03-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #212
Veteran Member

Here's another user that has found the Front Focus issue is still there with 1.03

K-5 1.03 versus K20D AF tests

In EV3
03-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am surprised that nobody has tried my test I described that will tell you instantly whether the ff problem still exists. In an hour I will be home to finally test i for my self and will report the result here.....
03-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
I am surprised that nobody has tried my test I described that will tell you instantly whether the ff problem still exists. In an hour I will be home to finally test i for my self and will report the result here.....
Well I've done several tests almost identical to yours. I decided, upon installing 1.03, to do something a little more controlled and to compare to my K20D. I created a new thread to post the results.

03-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #215
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
okay so with 1.02 between ev 0 - 4 we had 255 um of front focus... now with 1.03 the issue is only between 0 - 2 ev and there is less um's of front focus is the finding?
03-12-2011, 01:52 AM   #216
Inactive Account

Hi All,i'm first time poster but for quite some time following the interesting threads on this forum.
I also did firmware upgrade to 1.03 and my only hickup is that by replacing battery the diaphragm defaults to 8 in whichever program i were before.
Further FF issues are gone and and i like my dsrl '' leica'' very much.
03-12-2011, 02:17 AM   #217
Veteran Member

The camera defaulting to f/8.0 was already there with previous versions... It annoyed me more than one time, so I'm categorical on this!

03-12-2011, 03:20 AM   #218

Photos: Gallery
can i manually adjust the ISO for video now?
03-12-2011, 04:34 AM   #219

gybp hello, i dont know about the k5 but in kr you can have full manual control over the video.Maybe you can use the same proccedure.If you want have a look in the thread for kr: Best lens for shooting video .

Last edited by apexlunat; 03-12-2011 at 04:34 AM. Reason: spelling correction
03-12-2011, 05:01 AM   #220
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Here's another user that has found the Front Focus issue is still there with 1.03

K-5 1.03 versus K20D AF tests

In EV3
And he's not the only one. A friend of mine, from a local forum did some rapid tests and found ff too. Even in daylight type artificial light.
See the pictures attached and the original thread about Pentax 5.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-12-2011, 05:13 AM   #221
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But if the firmware fixes some of the cameras and doesn't fix others, then clearly some cameras out there have hardware issues that are not adjustable with software updates. That doesn't say that the firmware doesn't fix a lot of the cameras. Certainly, based on the photos I have seen, there are several reliable users who have seen dramatic improvements with the firmware update. Those who don't see this, need to send their cameras in.
03-12-2011, 05:52 AM   #222

Original Poster
still have FF problems

QuoteOriginally posted by nixifo Quote
It worked for me, almost perfect

I had terrible FF. It was useless indoors.

dgaies responded that
"Well at the risk of tempering the excitement, it might be a little while before everyone is ready to declare it a "perfect" fix.... but my initial impression is that things look good."

dgaies was right.

Now that I had some time to take some more real pictures ....
As I said I had terrible FF. With the new firmware it is a lot better but there is still FF.
Just beyond the AF adjust scale. It is close but it's there. That is the good case.
The bad case is that if the EV change a bit it could be worst. It is unpredictable. In a big room with different lighting conditions, some corner may be brighter some darker. So sometimes I have a small FF problem but sometimes it is a lot.
After the initial impression excitement it is big disappointment. This morning I gave my camera back and on Monday I'll see what to do. I maybe try another one but right now I am disappointed.
I am glad to see that a lot of you had better luck
03-12-2011, 06:09 AM   #223

Ursamajor.

Looking at the photos you posted with Photome shows 2 strange things.
Both were taken in macro mode and AF focused in front of 00.
03-12-2011, 06:09 AM   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nixifo Quote
dgaies responded that
"Well at the risk of tempering the excitement, it might be a little while before everyone is ready to declare it a "perfect" fix.... but my initial impression is that things look good."

dgaies was right.
I think there is no question the new firmware is a major improvement. With the previous firmware, the threshold where FF would occur was around 2-4 EV with my K-5 (depending on the lens and type of light). With version 1.03 that threshold has shifted close to 0EV. The FF shift below 1 EV can be mitigated with the use of the AF-assist lamp (if the situation allows it).

As far as I am concerned, I no longer have a "FF" issue with my K-5 but I acknowledge that other users may not feel the same. Certainly if there are some specific K-5 bodies that were further out of spec to begin with, I'm not surprised that the firmware wasn't able to solve the issue. Other users might not be satisfied because they feel the "spec" hasn't been met because the AF isn't perfect all the way down to -1EV. I somewhat disagree with that position, but to each his/her own.
03-12-2011, 06:22 AM   #225
Pentaxian

Ursa, that's not very nice of you - using my so-called test to prove your point while "forgetting" some very important details.
Yes, at ~LV4 there is some FF, yet it's much better than with 1.02. The "test" itself is poorly made, e.g. no effort to calibrate/test the camera/lens in good light, low quality test chart (can be clearly seen on those crops), most likely imperfect alignment... which means poor precision. Please don't draw any definite conclusion.

I also mentioned how my camera is less precise than others. I know as a fact that some K-5s can focus properly in much worse conditions (both the intensity and the color temperature).
Closed Thread