Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #256
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
I did my simple 5 minute test to see if the problem was completely resolved.
Unfortunately, as also Smeggypants has confirmed, the FF issue has not been completely fixed.

In the firmware description, it says: AF improved in low light conditions. This may be the case, since the -10 AF fine adjustment seems to compensate slightly better for the FF, but I am not sure. I also have the feeling the the FF threshold at which the FF issue occurs has been lowered.

All I want is to take reliable dance photos and that will be the test for me whether the camera operates the way I want.
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one, but I am sorry yourself and YouYou above also still have the FF fault.

There's obviously some variability in the cameras as may peeps are reporting 1.03 has fixed there FF fault.

03-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #257
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Purusam Quote
I would like that to ive done some test with my replacements camera with the latest firmware, and auto-focus is not good.

My test lens was the pentax 100mm macro wr.
if i focus on a small thing on the table, it front focys quite alot. this was indoor in poor light. (

In that situation, you really should be able to find it possible, and you will get better pictures, if you bring in a light source even if the camera is focusing perfectly

I hope it works better outdoor at bugs.

But Im already waiting for the 1.04 firmware.
It will probably work poorly if you use a dim light to illuminate night crawlers.

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilippeG Quote
By how much do you think field curvature affects AF? We're talking about several cm of FF at a distance of less than a meter, not just "missed by a hair" focus.
The picture in post 220 could very well be biased by field curvature.

It's also likely that some people might be better off using their warranties to adjust their cameras, but it has always been this way.
03-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are tons of other reasons why a camera would front focus other than a defect. We've been talking about it and analyzing it for years. Problems with specific lenses, individual body lens combinations that happen to be both slightly misaligned in opposite directions. Have any of you guys that say the problem is not fixed making sure focus is fine in good light?
03-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #259
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
There are tons of other reasons why a camera would front focus other than a defect. We've been talking about it and analyzing it for years. Problems with specific lenses, individual body lens combinations that happen to be both slightly misaligned in opposite directions. Have any of you guys that say the problem is not fixed making sure focus is fine in good light?
Yes of course. Be silly not to check that one.

My K-5 focusses perfectly in good light. It's the best camera I've ever owned. Except for low light where it front focusses.

03-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #260
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Did you guys take field curvature of your lenses into account before you made this pronouncement?
Apart from the the Low Light Front focus fault my K-5 can take pics. Art isn't bothered about Field Curvature

Last edited by Smeggypants; 03-14-2011 at 11:27 PM.
03-15-2011, 12:35 AM   #261
Pentaxian

The picture in post 220 could very well be biased by field curvature.
It's also likely that some people might be better off using their warranties to adjust their cameras, but it has always been this way.
I don't believe the field curvature had played any role; after all, the lens is the 35mm macro.
What did matter was the focus chart curvature That would be about... half a mm of FF? Alignment issues can be somewhat verified by checking both sides of the chart; I don't believe it explains the slight FF.

I would never use that "test" to calibrate my camera, by the way: the chart itself it's way too flimsy and imprecise. I would either build a proper focus chart or use a flat target (e.g. some printed text) at 90o.
03-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #262

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by apexlunat Quote
gybp hello, i dont know about the k5 but in kr you can have full manual control over the video.Maybe you can use the same proccedure.If you want have a look in the thread for kr: Best lens for shooting video .

you cant control the ISO in the K5, and it is a VERY BIG PROBLEM YET TO SOLVE BY pentax

03-16-2011, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #263
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Well, the next camera I buy from Pentax I'll pay for with money that has issues. When they call me about them, some I'll ignore and some I'll fix only partially. Then after a year or two I'll just tell them that they need to send me another camera to get the latest version of my money. It will have all new issues.

I do not buy the 'all products have issues' rant. If anyone sells a product for $1500 that has specifications that warrant that price, then it better work accordingly. No ifs, ands, or buts. I'm sure the money will work as expected.

Last edited by BillO; 03-16-2011 at 05:22 PM.
03-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #264
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BillO Quote
Well, the next camera I buy from Pentax I'll pay for with money that has issues. When they call me about them, some I'll ignore and some I'll fix only partially. Then after a year or two I'll just tell them that they need to send me another camera to get the latest version of my money. It will have all new issues.

I do not buy the 'all products have issues' rant. If anyone sells a product for $1500 that has specifications that warrant that price, then it better work accordingly. No ifs, ands, or buts. I'm sure the money will work as expected.
Gotta love a realistic outlook on life.
03-16-2011, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #265
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Gotta love a realistic outlook on life.
Unrealistic? Maybe a tad. I'm just fed up of paying good money for crap. I'm 50+ and retired. I hav th eluxury of time, a lifetime of pent up desire to get a fair shake and a fixed income as an incentive.

While I might be (just a little) unrealistic, I am not wrong and will no longer be a pushover in such matters.

Others can be if they want.
03-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #266
Loyal Site Supporter

Unrealistic? Maybe a tad. I'm just fed up of paying good money for crap. I'm 50+ and retired. I hav th eluxury of time, a lifetime of pent up desire to get a fair shake and a fixed income as an incentive.

While I might be (just a little) unrealistic, I am not wrong and will no longer be a pushover in such matters.

Others can be if they want.
The only option you have is to not buy anything.
Ever.
Otherwise, accept that sometimes flaws happen, even with the best of intentions, and make use of your warranty.
It's not about being a pushover, it's about being an adult.
03-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #267
Veteran Member

The only option you have is to not buy anything.
Ever.
Otherwise, accept that sometimes flaws happen, even with the best of intentions, and make use of your warranty.
That is really patronising. You've no need to adopt such a superior attitude just because you disagree with another poster's POV.

Sure ... from time to time products have flaws. But to imply that someone is childish because they complain about those flaws is a stance that paints you in a distasteful light. I'm giving a rep to BillO that is taken from your tally.
03-16-2011, 09:55 PM   #268
Pentaxian

I'm with BillO on this one. They keyword is "according to specification". If Pentax doesn't want customers to expect the AF to work in -1 EV they shouldn't promise it.

I also don't see why anyone should be happy (or "adult about it") when a camera that they upgrade to does things worse than the camera they had before and which can be purchased for a lot less by now (-> P-TTL flash issues).

I agree that one should not have unrealistic expectations (e.g., expect the AF performance of a top of the range Canon from SAFOX IX) but it is entirely reasonable to expect the product to meet its specification. If customers didn't vote with their feet against QC issues like sensor stains, unreasonable FF, and flash issues, that, AFAIC, would send the wrong message to manufacturers.
03-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #269
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

not sure why you posted this?

most of us have full functioning $1500 cameras now ...

whats the motive behind the rant?...or do you just feel like blowing off some steam

Last edited by Tommot1965; 03-16-2011 at 11:43 PM.
03-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #270
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
not sure why you posted this?

most of us have full functioning $1500 cameras now ...

whats the motive behind the rant?...of do you just feel like blowing off some steam
Talk is cheap for those on the sidelines especially when they aren't prepared to pony up any money.

Last edited by creampuff; 03-16-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Closed Thread