Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
aside from sports does anything require 7fps. it breeds a tone of pp for little return

03-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
aside from sports does anything require 7fps. it breeds a tone of pp for little return
I use it very often (on the Canon 1D it's 10fps - even better!):

1. birds in flight
2. sports
3. martial arts
4. dancing
5. photos of my 2 year old nephew (his expression changes with every shot - i like to pick and choose)
6. flowers blowing in the wind (i like a little motion blur in my photos of flowers)

At the zoo, i use it on all the wild cats (when they are moving), seals, the bird show ...

Lately I have been using it for portraits and street shooting as well. Again, I never know what I catch. Have a look at my photos from last week's Pentax workshop on Facebook.
03-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Welllllllll.... you don't have to PP all of them - Although if you get a bunch of good on'e then I guess there's much PP to do
03-12-2011, 05:35 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bjdavey Quote
How do you tell which sub-version an update file is (e.g. 1.02.21.07 vs 1.02.21.10)?
Open a RAW or JPEG file off the camera with a program like PhotoMe, and look for the fields: DSP Firmware Version, or CPU Firmware Version, and it should tell you.

03-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Thanks - found it. I couldn't use PhotoMe on my Mac, but found a site where you can upload a file and have it list the metadata for you - useful. The site is:

Jeffrey's Exif viewer
03-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Don't worry - I am. Going to the zoo today and planning to shoot several cards worth of photos at 7fps (my favourite shooting mode - hence the concern about writing speed).

Are you really sure that 10% slower full buffer clearing speed has any effect to your shooting?

It doesnt have anything to do with FPS. It has an effect to it how soon you can start shooting again after buffer is full. Buffer is 20 frames. So you have to shoot 3 sec continuosly in machine gun style before it is full.

I tested this. 20 raws will be written to the card in approximately 30 seconds using firmware 1.3. Obviously, as you say, firmware 1.1 is 10% quicker. It is 3 seconds. You can shoot 10 pictures burst after 15 sec or 13,5 sec. Or 20 pics burst after 27 sec or 30 sec. Correct?

I used Transcend 8Gb SDHC Class 6 card, which is not particularly quick. Obviously SDXC card are much quicker and times so shorter.

Shorter burst are of course possible much quicker. Is this really significant issue? really?

I didnt even try any proper test using jpegs, because pictures were written to the card so quicly that after buffer was full, FPS just slowed down a little. Even short pause in machine gunning raised the FPS to 7 again. With jpeg 10% difference is negligible. Really.
03-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Will post some of the photos on the Pentax Snaps Australia facebook wall - you should try posting there sometime, it's a really good place to hang out for Australian Pentax photographers - lots of great photos from fellow Pentaxians.
Nope, Facebook is NOT a good place for any adult human being to 'hang out'. sorry Christine, I'm not with you on this one
03-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Nope, Facebook is NOT a good place for any adult human being to 'hang out'. sorry Christine, I'm not with you on this one

Anyone who posts pictures to FB, gives her/his property rights of these pictures to the Facebook company. Not very clever thing to do.

03-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
Are you really sure that 10% slower full buffer clearing speed has any effect to your shooting?
I took a few photos yesterday and today continuous mode.

Did it significantly affect my shooting? Haven't yet - but then I was quite sparing with the shutter and never filled the buffer.

I did notice a big difference between my old card (PQI Class 6) which took nearly a minute to clear a full buffer, and the Extreme - that was significant enough to affect usability - to the point where I would not use the PQI for continuous mode - missed out on too many shots.

Usually, when I over-use the continuous mode - the camera will sometimes lock up and freeze. Haven't noticed it as much on Firmware 1.03 - the camera only froze once yesterday which was rather embarassing and I missed out on a few shots, but I've had occasions in the past where the camera locked out several times.

Maybe they slowed down the writes by 10% to improve stability? If that is true, it may be a good trade off.
03-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I took a few photos yesterday and today continuous mode.

Did it significantly affect my shooting? Haven't yet - but then I was quite sparing with the shutter and never filled the buffer.

I did notice a big difference between my old card (PQI Class 6) which took nearly a minute to clear a full buffer, and the Extreme - that was significant enough to affect usability - to the point where I would not use the PQI for continuous mode - missed out on too many shots.

Usually, when I over-use the continuous mode - the camera will sometimes lock up and freeze. Haven't noticed it as much on Firmware 1.03 - the camera only froze once yesterday which was rather embarassing and I missed out on a few shots, but I've had occasions in the past where the camera locked out several times.

Maybe they slowed down the writes by 10% to improve stability? If that is true, it may be a good trade off.

If this 'preferred' shooting mode is causing you to miss shots, maybe it's time to rethink what you prefer?

I personally have never heard of anyone who shoots at the max frame rate all the time... It really has it's uses, but I think that working on composition and timing improves your photography much more than continuous shooting and picking the 'best' from the stream. (Plus, is that really any fun?)

Last edited by jsherman999; 03-12-2011 at 06:44 PM.
03-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #41
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
That might be true, but I recall people being able to revert to older firmware versions on the K10D so that they could use the screw drive on dual drive SDM lenses. I think you actually can go back to a previous firmware version, though I can't generally see any reason to do so
Just to set the record straight about the K10D:
I did this on my K10D because I couldn't put up the cash for SDM repairs at the time. The only reason it could be done was because someone developed a hacked open version of firmware 1.1. Using the regular firmware versions, it was impossible to downgrade.
BTW I'm still running V1.2 and not using SDM on my 50-135.
03-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

If this 'preferred' shooting mode is causing you to miss shots, maybe it's time to rethink what you prefer?

I personally have never heard of anyone who shoots at the max frame rate all the time... It really has it's uses, but I think that working on composition and timing improves your photography much more than continuous shooting and picking the 'best' from the stream. (Plus, is that really any fun?)

I'm sure you're aware that some fast moving subjects don't allow time to think about composition and timing. I do a lot of street photography and the moment can be gone if you start having a discussion with yourself over these issues.

I never use 7fps mode, but I do rattle of a quick succesion of single shots in street shooting and sometimes I find I miss some upcoming moments becuase the previous flurry of shots are still writing to the card.

You can be sure that when the subject allows I do spend time on composition, etc.

IOW there is room for both types of shooting. And the subject matter can dictate which approach is the most appropriate.
03-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
IOW there is room for both types of shooting. And the subject matter can dictate which approach is the most appropriate.

I think that goes without saying, but Christine seemed to indicate hat she used 7fps all the time, even for 'portraiture', the zoo, etc, to the point where she's missing shots a lot and considering dropping back a firmware level to try to get 10% higher throughput. That suggests to me an imbalance, and maybe a misapplication of the mode.

But to each his/her own - if great photography is resulting (and is it?), the method used to get there should not matter.

03-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster

There's always the chance of "missing a shot" - on any camera in any shooting mode. If you've never missed any shots ever, then congratulations - I am not so lucky.

You do realise, though, that even in continuous mode if you press the shutter lightly, the camera will only take 1 shot? It will only take multiple shots for the duration that you hold the shutter button.

With practice, I can control exactly how many shots I want in any scenario. A tip I learnt from a pro is to go light on the shutter - take a few, pause, take a few etc. That way, the buffer seldom fills. However, sometimes I do get carried away, and the buffer does fill, locking up the camera until the buffer clears.
03-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think that goes without saying, but Christine seemed to indicate hat she used 7fps all the time, even for 'portraiture', the zoo, etc, to the point where she's missing shots a lot
Can I suggest that you shouldn't try and exaggerate a situation to try and ridicule me?

I never said I used it "all the time" and I never said I miss shots "a lot." All my World Pentax Day photos are single shots using manual focus lenses, and for the Pentax workshop last week probably only a dozen or so photos out more than 500 were multiple shots - even though the camera was in 7fps for a good proportion of the entire shoot.

We all have our ways of using the camera - why is it necessary to ridicule others?

Last edited by Christine Tham; 03-12-2011 at 08:12 PM.