Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
there is no way you can say the SD card is now 10% slower to write to when the file size of the photo varies more than 10% between shots depending on content of that photo. ISO is a major factor in it also as noise adds to the file sizes...

03-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #62
Veteran Member

The file size certainly does vary a lot more than 10% indeed with different ISOs and photocontent
03-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #63

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

I think several of us may have found it bizarre to want to back out of one of the most significant and highly-anticipated firmware upgrades Pentax has ever put out because of this reason you gave.
Personally this firmware upgrade did diddly-squat for me. Not everyone had FF issues.

And I'd also quite happily back it out if it caused new problems that weren't there in earlier firmwares.

bazz.
03-15-2011, 01:50 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
there is no way you can say the SD card is now 10% slower to write to when the file size of the photo varies more than 10% between shots depending on content of that photo. ISO is a major factor in it also as noise adds to the file sizes...
Clarification - the comparison was done with the camera shooting the same scene, with the camera set to the same settings.

03-15-2011, 04:52 AM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Clarification - the comparison was done with the camera shooting the same scene, with the camera set to the same settings.
Have you checked the file sizes afterwards ?
03-15-2011, 06:47 AM   #66
Veteran Member

I think Jyrkira has a good point. Two images of the same scene won't necessarily be the same size.

I would also like to say Christine you've defended your position with dignity when the numpties in this thread inexplicably chose to heap scorn on you because you don't use your camera the same way they do.
03-15-2011, 07:19 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sir_bazz Quote
Personally this firmware upgrade did diddly-squat for me. Not everyone had FF issues.

bazz.
I'm not sure if I fully believe that at this point. As I said in an earlier thread, "I'm satisfied with my camera's performance" does not necessarily equal "My camera is performing optimally." Christine herself started with the latter position and moved to the former after a harder look at things.

03-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote
I think Jyrkira has a good point. Two images of the same scene won't necessarily be the same size.

I would also like to say Christine you've defended your position with dignity when the numpties in this thread inexplicably chose to heap scorn on you because you don't use your camera the same way they do.

"numpties"? Rough & tumble crowd in Saffron Walden, Essex, eh?

Can't speak for everyone else, but personally I was trying to help in the same manner I've been helped in this forum. Sometimes advice can sound like criticism, although Christine is right in that she wasn't really asking for shooting advice in this thread.

Still: missing shots you really wanted downstream because of a shotgun approach upstream means you still missed shots. Being more careful and selective (while still shooting in multi-frame mode) could mean that you could get every shot, and the question of moving back a firmware level to increase write rate wouldn't even need to come up. It's simply advice, which we are entitled to give in this forum.

03-15-2011, 08:01 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's interesting is that people are questioning a shooting style without the most critical piece of information - the photos. If Christine is getting the shots that she wants, then who are we to argue, particularly if technique isn't the point of this thread?

So is it criticism or just trying to be helpful? I'd say mentioning it the first time is trying to be helpful. Mentioning it a second and third time is starting to be unnecessarily critical. After all, how can you criticize technique without seeing the end product?
03-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
What's interesting is that people are questioning a shooting style without the most critical piece of information - the photos. If Christine is getting the shots that she wants, then who are we to argue, particularly if technique isn't the point of this thread?

So is it criticism or just trying to be helpful? I'd say mentioning it the first time is trying to be helpful. Mentioning it a second and third time is starting to be unnecessarily critical. After all, how can you criticize technique without seeing the end product?
Agreed. I apologized for the un-asked for advice I gave, left, and was more than happy to leave this thread alone and wait to see the conclusion until the Wessex-style namecalling appeared. Hint about me: namecalling will backfire for you, every time.

(Also, the advice wasn't given out of the blue, it was tied to technique because a change in technique could alleviate the need to even worry about the whole point of the thread - how to go back a firmware level to increase write speed. At any rate, it's been stated, and a respectful conclusion to this thread can hopefully commence.)

Last edited by jsherman999; 03-15-2011 at 08:39 AM.
03-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #71
Inactive Account

YES..you can downgrade firmware..it is POSSIBLE if you know how to..just rewrite the older version firmware's header with the new version..
03-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote

Numpty (plural - numpties):
A reckless, absent minded or unwise person
A person who never has or never will have a f*ing clue what he is doing
An idiot, a silly person
A scottish term, short for numb-skull. Idiot
Dialect, chiefly scots. A bumbling fool or one who is intellectually challanged.
A person so stupid they are incapable of understanding the simpliest of things
Huh?

I guess write speed/processing may have been slowed down a bit. I heard of some complaining of continuous shooting lockups on the K-5, maybe it's a good thing.
03-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

"numpties"? Rough & tumble crowd in Saffron Walden, Essex, eh?

Can't speak for everyone else, but personally I was trying to help in the same manner I've been helped in this forum. Sometimes advice can sound like criticism, although Christine is right in that she wasn't really asking for shooting advice in this thread.

Still: missing shots you really wanted downstream because of a shotgun approach upstream means you still missed shots. Being more careful and selective (while still shooting in multi-frame mode) could mean that you could get every shot, and the question of moving back a firmware level to increase write rate wouldn't even need to come up. It's simply advice, which we are entitled to give in this forum.

I am not questining her style of shooting (allhough I do not agree with her with this either) but her solution to this very problem of 10% slower buffer.

Solution is not downgrading the firmware, but buying faster card. Her card is remarkably (2x, not only 10%) slover than my similarly specked (class 6) card.

This means that her "problem" is most easily solved with quick card, not by tinkering dangerously with hacked firmware. So I want help her too.
03-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jyrkira Quote
Have you checked the file sizes afterwards ?
Yes, if you check the "Extreme Pro" thread that I linked to earlier in this thread, I have now updated with some more shooting info.

The file sizes are remarkably consistent for a given scene and identical shooting conditions, so the comparison between firmware revisions are valid.

The K-5 with firmware 1.03 seems (by my measurements) to have an effective sustained write rate of around 17 MB/s. This is in the same ball park, but slightly slower than the 18 MB/s measured by RonHendricks (on a previous firmware).

The card I am using is the Extreme Pro, which is one of the fastest cards available for purchase today, rated at up to 45 MB/s read and write.

It seems that the K-5 write speed is limited to under 20 MB/s, regardless of how fast the card is. The K-5 does not support the new UHS104 transfer mode, which means the theoretical maximum is 25 MB/s in HS mode (50 MHz clock speed).

I was really hoping firmware 1.03 will get closer to the 25 MB/s limit, but apparently not.

Last edited by Christine Tham; 03-15-2011 at 02:18 PM.