Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone know if it's possible to downgrade Firmware from 1.03 to 1.01?

First question: is it possible?

Second question: where can I find a copy of old firmware versions?

I'm considering going back from Firmware 1.03 to 1.01 because I noticed 1.03 is slightly slower at clearing a full buffer to an SD card compared to 1.01. Unfortunately, I don't have a soft copy of 1.01 to go back to.

03-10-2011, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
oh boy, here we go again....
03-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Perhaps it is getting bogged down by the sheer weight of being bedazzled.

Seriously though, it is extremely rare for electronics to be able to revert to older firmware versions.
03-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Seriously though, it is extremely rare for electronics to be able to revert to older firmware versions.
That might be true, but I recall people being able to revert to older firmware versions on the K10D so that they could use the screw drive on dual drive SDM lenses. I think you actually can go back to a previous firmware version, though I can't generally see any reason to do so

03-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote

I'm considering going back from Firmware 1.03 to 1.01 because I noticed 1.03 is slightly slower at clearing a full buffer to an SD card compared to 1.01. Unfortunately, I don't have a soft copy of 1.01 to go back to.
Phew!! Here I thought you were going to say that the AF is worse with v1.3 FW, just minutes after I called and ordered a K-5 with next day shipping
03-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
Phew!! Here I thought you were going to say that the AF is worse with v1.3 FW, just minutes after I called and ordered a K-5 with next day shipping
Don't worry, AF is most certainly not worse. The K-5 with v1.03 is quite excellent.

BTW, congrats on the the incoming K-5
03-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

I believe there is a way to dump the firmware on the card(from within the camera).
Not sure how but I remember seeing some instructions for the K10D or something along those lines on a site that was involved in enabling the debug mode etc.
I'm thinking perhaps the process(to dump) is universal on all Pentax bodies.

Also... on the issue of slower card write performances, are you sure about your findings? Sometimes small settings and changes can cause different values in write times, which could cause missleading conclusions.

Have you tests with various(types of) cards and file formats?
Did you format the card in camera first?
were the tests performed under identical conditions?
I can think of other questions but these are the ones that come to mind atm.

And finally...
What type of differences are you seeing?

03-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have 1.02 that I could place in a location for you to download if you want it. I can't seem to locate 1.01 even though I had downloaded and installed it on my first K-5.
03-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Also... on the issue of slower card write performances, are you sure about your findings? Sometimes small settings and changes can cause different values in write times, which could cause missleading conclusions.
Hi John - my tests are detailed in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/135030-has-anyone-tried-...rds-k-5-a.html

I don't claim they are rigorous - but I have repeated the tests several times (formatting the card each time) and the results are consistent.

The different is only around 10% - but I was really hoping 1.03 would IMPROVE write performance, not the other way round :-(

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
I have 1.02 that I could place in a location for you to download if you want it. I can't seem to locate 1.01 even though I had downloaded and installed it on my first K-5.
That's very kind of you, but I've heard there are a few issues with 1.02 that I prefer to stay clear from.

I'm not 100% sure I want to downgrade, so currently just exploring possibilities.
03-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That's very kind of you, but I've heard there are a few issues with 1.02 that I prefer to stay clear from.

I'm not 100% sure I want to downgrade, so currently just exploring possibilities.
I had used the K-5 with 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 and, at least for me, 1.02 was the best and most stable. I had no issues with the last K-5 with 1.s FW except the problematic FF issue.

If you decide you want it, shoot me a PM.
03-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks.

Given I've managed to avoid significant FF so far, I wouldn't want to jinx it by going to 1.02 and getting massive FF! That would be ironic.
03-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Might not be the card. Unless the SD can be TRIMed, a new card is going to be faster than a used card (blank card = wear leveler has more to work with and can just write instead of read-erase-modify-write).

But I'm fairly certain SD cards don't support the TRIM command. So all flash memory will degrade in performance for a while over time until it reaches a steady-state in which the wear leveler always has to do a read-erase-modify-write cycle. (Which will happen very fast if you fill up a card a few times.)
03-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
oh boy, here we go again....
I don't think such comments, in reply to a perfectly legitimate question, are acceptable or necessary.

How about a little bit of self control, and a little less of such behaviour.

It is only pouring fuel on a fire!
03-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I actually feel it is a regressive step to revert to the earlier firmware just to attempt to get a quicker clearing of the camera's buffer (yet unproven).
A lot of factors determine how big an image file is and consequently how fast the camera will write to the card. Just shooting casually proves nothing as we all know that the size of the file can vary. Shoot at high ISO and a subject with a lot of dark shadows and the file sizes go up.
03-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #15

Christine, could you tell us what particular use case is so overwhelmingly important that this 10% difference in buffer clearing makes it mandatory to seek downgrading possibilities?

And what are those issues on the ver 1.02 you are referring?