Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

FW 1.03 - flash modes

Has anybody noticed that with FW 1,03, we've lost slow-sync flash under Tv mode?

03-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
rear curtain?
03-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My understanding is that Slow speed sync is there to allow you use a lower shutter speed to allow more ambient when you are using a flash. In TV mode, you are selecting your shutter speed just like in TAV and Manual. Since you select it, it doesn't seem like it would be an option. It would be applicable in Av, Sv and P mode.
03-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
My understanding is that Slow speed sync is there to allow you use a lower shutter speed to allow more ambient when you are using a flash. In TV mode, you are selecting your shutter speed just like in TAV and Manual. Since you select it, it doesn't seem like it would be an option. It would be applicable in Av, Sv and P mode.
Similar to what jrforman said, the K-5 manual suggests that when using Slow speed sync in Tv, TAv, or M mode, the word 'SLOW' will not appear next to the flash icons on the [FLASH MODE] screen. I believe this is because you are selecting the shutter speed in these modes, which causes it to be slow-sync. I just tried it on my K-5 w/ FW 1.03 and 540 flash. However, I get better exposures using the Av mode with a SLOW flash icon selected in the [FLASH MODE] screen.

03-11-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
bxf
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Similar to what jrforman said, the K-5 manual suggests that when using Slow speed sync in Tv, TAv, or M mode, the word 'SLOW' will not appear next to the flash icons on the [FLASH MODE] screen. I believe this is because you are selecting the shutter speed in these modes, which causes it to be slow-sync. I just tried it on my K-5 w/ FW 1.03 and 540 flash. However, I get better exposures using the Av mode with a SLOW flash icon selected in the [FLASH MODE] screen.
This all makes sense, and I just had another look at the manual, and I don't know where my brain was the last time I looked up Slow-Speed Sync previously, which was after I suddenly had a couple of flash shots wayyyyy overexposed, immediately after several successful ones and having made no changes to any settings. I think I totally confused myself trying to understand too many things in a short time. Feeling stupid
03-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
This all makes sense, and I just had another look at the manual, and I don't know where my brain was the last time I looked up Slow-Speed Sync previously, which was after I suddenly had a couple of flash shots wayyyyy overexposed, immediately after several successful ones and having made no changes to any settings. I think I totally confused myself trying to understand too many things in a short time. Feeling stupid
I wouldn't know a slow speed flash from a fast moving Freight Train.......now that's your real stupid.

Best Regards.....I could use some flash help, the more I read...the less I know.
03-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
bxf
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I wouldn't know a slow speed flash from a fast moving Freight Train.......now that's your real stupid.

Best Regards.....I could use some flash help, the more I read...the less I know.
Oh, that's an easy one. Fast moving freight trains (or any other fast moving trains, for that matter), create a flash only upon impact with an appropriate object, and one has no control over the intensity or duration of the flash. Come to think of it, this was not so different from what I experienced with some of my shots.

Thanks for making me feel better.