Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5's from amazon ???

nice 12 month financing plan when buying a k-5, directly from amazon.... however, they won't disclose where the inventory if from.... (promised to be new, not returns of refurbished).... don't want to be the unlucky recipient of an older inventory piece sure to be a stain pain.....
has anyone purchased a new k-5 from amazon directly, recently???
(not from one of their participating retailers) fyi.. the 12 month financing is ONLY from amazon directly.... dave m

03-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

All the recent ones from Amazon seem to be in good shape: Pentax K-5 Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm must be going blind

Where is the special financing offer located?

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
nice 12 month financing plan when buying a k-5, directly from amazon.... however, they won't disclose where the inventory if from.... (promised to be new, not returns of refurbished).... don't want to be the unlucky recipient of an older inventory piece sure to be a stain pain.....
(not from one of their participating retailers) fyi.. the 12 month financing is ONLY from amazon directly.... dave m
03-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never mind I saw the light

03-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
i'd buy with confidence from b+h.... but 12 months to pay would be helpful.....
you can't get any info from amazon about their mystery stock source... they can't divulge...or provide any serial numbers of their inventory....
might be worth a shot... don't know about their return policy, gotta take a look at it tomorrow...
03-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Typically once electronics are sold and opened by law they cannot be sold as new. Which is why they have the warehouse deals for the opened and returned items.

I have purcashed a ton of things from Amazon and have never had trouble returning anything regardless of what it was. You have 30 days for whatever reason and in most cases they will cover the return shipping.

I would take advantage of their 12 month finance offer...why not use someone elses money for free!!!! If the camera does have a problem you can return it and have them ship you another.

While I agree B&H is great Amazon really is a good company to deal with....

Good Luck Dave....
03-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dave, when I got my K-x through Amazon, not all the paperwork was there and I had a fungus in the viewfinder. Not sure if this is from the factory or not, but I would want to make sure it is brand new. I see now that they are both priced the same through either B&H and Amazon.

Last edited by Bob Harris; 03-11-2011 at 09:45 PM.
03-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Mine came from Amazon in late january. After all the flap late last year I waited
until they had shown to be 'out of stock' a few days, and were then reported 'in stock---and ordered one. I consider it unlikely at this point that they have old inventory. though mine came with a 392nnnn serial number which was somewhawt lower than I expected, I have no complaints. I've found it to be radically better than the K10 which I previoiusly used.

The photo quality, profoundly in low light conditions, is much improved, and the vignetting associated with the pop up flash,with the also much maligned (but IMHO excellent 16-50 F2.8) is greatly reduced as compared to the K10.

I haven't owned a K20 or the K7, and though I liked the K10 reasonably well,
the difference between the K10 and the K5 is an 'Oh my Gawd' event on the positive side.
03-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
update.... signed up for the amazon store card.... that's what triggers the 12 month plan... better pay for it in full before 12 months is up.... the interest rate is 25.66%......
got 2 day free shipping to boot... upon its' receipt.... i'll check and post the serial number to our database.... keepin' my fingers crossed.....
this is the first time i've ever owned the latest and greatest pentax has offered in dslr's....
will update later.... thanks all, for the feedback.... what'd i do without my forum friends.... dave m

Last edited by dcmsox2004; 03-12-2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: edit
03-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Dave - I've bought a bunch of stuff from both Amazon and B&H and find either place great to do business with (I've been happy with Adorama, as well). I buy bodies from Amazon, since they have a longer return period, giving me more "evaluation" time. I generaly buy all my lenses (too many ) from B&H.

I've not had to return anything to Amazon, but the process looks straightforward. I have returned a couple of things to B&H, including a faulty flash, and they made it pretty painless - I was impressed.

I think the policy of both companies is to ship only "factory-fresh" merchandise, but screw-ups probably happen (it was clear the flash I mentioned above was not factory sealed), but - again - the return remedy was facile and I had a brand new flash in just a few days.

Jer
03-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

update.... signed up for the amazon store card.... that's what triggers the 12 month plan... better pay for it in full before 12 months is up.... the interest rate is 25.66%......
got 2 day free shipping to boot... upon its' receipt.... i'll check and post the serial number to our database.... keepin' my fingers crossed.....
this is the first time i've ever owned the latest and greatest pentax has offered in dslr's....
will update later.... thanks all, for the feedback.... what'd i do without my forum friends.... dave m
Congrats, buddy - you won't need the reply I just posted. I love your shots from your current camera - I can't wait to see what you do with the new one.

Jer
03-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #12

Both B&H and amazon are great. Amazon's return policy and replacement policy is 30d and they'll send out a replacement without charge so long as you return any defective items within 30d. The downside is that amazon customer service is a bit more convoluted and used a lot of asian call centers. B&H has a 14 return policy but their customer service is superior and straightforward to deal with via chat, email, or phone.