Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #1

Dust removal system

Hi,

I have been the happy owner of a K200D for almost three years now, and I will certainly change it some day for one of the latest DSLRs from Pentax...

One functionality of the K200D is absolutely inefficient, in fact it would be the same if it did not exist : the dust removal system...

While I'm considering shifting to a more modern device (like K-5), I was wondering if its dust removal system was significantly more efficient ?

In the K-5 reviews, I have not read specific tests regarding the dust removal system... Could someone share their experience ?

With the K200D, you can just blow on the sensor, it will always be more efficient than this shake removal system...

What about the K-5 ?

Regards.

03-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Minulla oli K20D kerran pölyä, joka näkyi hyvin pölykuvassa. Jouduin käyttämään siinä pölynpoistojärjestelmää pelasi ihan Ok. K-5 kokeilin ovatko pölyä mutta olikin tahroja kennossa. K-5 ei ole tullut viellä vaihdosta, mutta nämä uudet jotka tulevat on sarjaa 4007xxx. Näissä on kennot puhtaa ja kaikki toiminnot pelaa paremmin kun alkupään numeroissa. Todennäköisesti siinä pelaa pölynpoistokin hienosti.
03-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The older dust reduction system was nothing more than a rattling of the sensor. It got some of the big gunk to fall off, but was pretty much useless.

The newer cameras not only vibrate at a much higher frequency and more likely to knock off just about anything... the sensor is also coated with a dust-resistant surface that helps keep dust from settling in the first place.

I used to wet clean my K10D every couple of months... I have not wet cleaned my K7 or K5 once.
A good air blower like the RocketBlower has been sufficient for the more stubborn dust, and I have only needed to use that a few times over the past year and a half.
03-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had a K-5 since mid-November 2010, and so far have not had to use a blower or anything else - the sensor just stays dust free. That compared to my K20D, where I had to use a blower at least every other week or so. At first I thought the K-5 dust removal system wasn't working, because you hear and feel nothing (compared to the K20D where the camera audibly shook). Other posts, and experience, reassures that the high frequency system is not only almost inaudible, but also works exceptionally well.

03-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I think the dust removal systems got better with the K20D. I used the blower device several times on the K10D, wet cleaned it once. But on the K20, only used the blower perhaps 2 or 3 times, wet cleaned 0 times. Some common sense precautions also probably help.
03-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for your answers !