Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2011, 06:04 AM   #16
Forum Member

The guy can't even pronounce Nikon - yeah I know we've been there before but it's still "Knee-con" or "Nick-on" and absolutely not "Neye-con" FCS!

03-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I like best about Nikon and Canon is that they love their loyal fans so much that they won't expose them to a system that would let them save thousands on stabilized shooting with SR. That is some really compassionate concern for their users. They also realize that their users are "Big and Manly" so they make those Big Cameras for them. I was recently at a Rodeo, and in came a little old Granny driving a Forklift......I knew right away she was coming in with her Big Canon, and sure enough, there it was on the loading pad! Had that big white lens on it and an industrial ball-head mount welded to the forklift. I wanted to ask her if she got out in the woods to do much birding, but I knew in advance she would be way to good to talk with a lowly Pentaxian.
The Nikon guy on the video....you guys lighten up on him. When you are in a mental institution, if you want any extra cash for the commissary, you have to earn it. They let him make videos. He's pretty good at it, and that one got him a Snickers bar and a pint of chocolate milk.
Regards!
03-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
What I like best about Nikon and Canon is that they love their loyal fans so much that they won't expose them to a system that would let them save thousands on stabilized shooting with SR.
Hmmm... not sure where the thousands come from. The K-5 is 300.00 more than the D7000, and the following comparisons of both lower-end and higher-end glass tend to bear out the idea that you can put a very comparable system together under Nikon for an extremely similar price. Maybe not if you have LBA and spray money all over the place in the hopes of getting something good, but some well designed choices, and as far as I can see... Please don't bother picking my prices apart. These are apples to apples comparisons for the most part. Retail, new. Street prices will vary... in both camps.

============================= the "ugly"

Nikkor AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED DX VR - Review / Test Report - Sample Images & Verdict 219.95 US

Compare to: Pentax SMC-DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED - Review / Test Report - Sample Images & Verdict Who cares about the price? This thing is not even close to the Nikon offering in this slot.

============================= System of choice

Nikon: Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3-5-5.6G ED VR DX - Review / Test Report - Sample Images & Verdict 619.95 US$

Compare to: Pentax SMC DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED [IF] SDM - Review / Test Report - Sample Images & Verdict $780.80

Nikon: Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 G IF-ED VR - Review / Test Report - Sample Images & Verdict 1,500.00

(In all fairness) Compare to: Pentax SMC DA* 60-250mm f/4 ED [IF] SDM - Review / Test Report - Sample Images & Verdict 1,349.99

======================================

So where are the thousands? By my calculation on any given day I might do a D7000 plus 16-85mm VR and 70-200mm VR for less than a K5 with 16-50mm and 60-250mm. What else would I need besides a super wide and then I'd probably go Sigma anyway. Who needs VR at those FLs?

What am I missing? f/2.8 at the 16-85mm? That has nothing to do with VR and is a separate issue. Well, I take it back. With VR and High ISO, the real issue here is the ability to throw the background out of focus. Score Pentax. Fantastic limited primes? Another separate issue. SDM? THAT is perhaps something that SHOULD be considered as a part of this... but I'll set that aside too in all fairness.

As for the video? Who cares. I mean that in a nice way. I prefer thinking for myself. That means objectively evaluating systems. I have. My next purchases will probably be a K5 and DA 21 Limited.

woof!
03-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I have 27 lenses, one of them OS.......they all are stabilized on my current K20D...old lenses, new lenses, all stabilized. Do the math.
How do you stabilize a 25 year old lens on a Canon or Nikon? No problem on my soon arriving K5.
As for the Nikon guy on the video.....he may not really be in a mental institution, but who would argue that he wouldn't fit right in?
Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 03-14-2011 at 07:45 AM.
03-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm still puzzled by the fact that everybody are comparing K5 to D7000 regardless of the fact that feature-wise, and (ESPECIALLY!!!) price-wise, K5 was positioned against D300s and 7D...

Looking at it from that perspective, D7000 gives K5 a fQ@#$ng good run for the money... I had one on pre-order, but small memory buffer made it obsolete for my needs...
03-14-2011, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Since most of the comments I have seen are more in a reference to the overall system of Pentax vs. Canon and Nikon, I'll share some of my thoughts.
I think the two cameras are close and whether or not a user needs a Canon or Nikon "system" will depend on the user. For most of the average amateur shooters out there, Pentax provides a great system at a great price. I would really like to have stabilization for prime lenses for example. I would also really like to be able to get weather sealing at a cheaper price point.

That being said, there are advantages to having the Canon or Nikon systems.

1.) used market. Excellent for Canon and decent for Nikon. It is nice being able to buy great lenses and bodies used and save some money. Pro grade Lenses also hold their value very well. I can sell my 70-200 IS II for about 200 more than I bought it for new in Dec.

2.) the ability to go full frame. Whether or not a person needs it is debatable. Having the option is definitely nice.

3.) In the lens stabilization on long lenses. I prefer having stabilization in the lens rather than the body when using telephoto glass. The stable viewfinder is helpful and the stabilization is generally regarded as better on the newer lenses. That being said, it sure would be nice to get some stabilization on my 400L...

4.) rentals. Pentax does have some options out there, but I can rent Canon gear from a local camera store which is handy because I don't have to pay for shipping.

5.) Fast primes. I won't argue against Pentax offering a lot of light weight, excellent quality prime lenses, but many of them are not as fast (at least the more recent models). f/1.4-1.8 is all I would really want in anything less than 100mm focal length. This is just a personal preference though.

6.) new telephoto gear. Canon and Nikon both have a vast array of fast focusing, ultra-sharp and (relatively) light super telephoto lenses that are easily acquired, even on the used market. Pentax is great up to 300mm, but I like having longer lenses for wildlife. Pentax has lenses that are longer but they are rare and heavy. Are there third party lenses to fill the gap? Yeah there are. Are those lenses as good. No, they are not.

These are just my thoughts and are not intended as a bash of the Pentax system. My point is that, for some people, the other systems are helpful or needed. I chose not to touch on the autofocus, since I haven't gotten to use the K-5 yet, so my opinions would be based on older Pentax models and maybe a bit unfair.
03-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #22

Disclaimer: I'm not a Nikon or Pentax owner/user. Never owned or used a Nikon or Pentax. Although I'm pretty interested in getting a K5 ... or maybe a D7000. That being said ...

I first saw this video when I googled K5 v. D7000, because I'm interested in these two cameras, especially for their high ISO performance.

I thought the video was amusing, because "Matt" didn't really provide any factual information other than quoting DXO ratings. But even with the DXO ratings, you'll notice that he was quick to dismiss the overall higher score of the K5, because it was only a couple of points higher. However, he then goes on to state over and over and over again how the D7000 is better than the K5 in high ISO, because DXO says so. Never mind that DXO rated the D7000 better in high ISO only by a few points too.

03-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
I'm still puzzled by the fact that everybody are comparing K5 to D7000 regardless of the fact that feature-wise, and (ESPECIALLY!!!) price-wise, K5 was positioned against D300s and 7D...

Looking at it from that perspective, D7000 gives K5 a fQ@#$ng good run for the money... I had one on pre-order, but small memory buffer made it obsolete for my needs...
I think the K5 vs. D7000 comparison is made often, because they have essentially the same sensor and are indeed the greatest and latest of APS-C cameras. IMO, from reading all the stuff around the net and seeing lots of photos posted online, the K5 has significantly better IQ than the D300s and 7D. So at least as IQ is concerned, the K5 vs. D7000 comparison is more "fair." Of course one can also thrown in the Sony A580, which is significantly cheaper than either, but also sports the same sensor, but with a more much entry level body.
03-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Well, there are many reasons why Mrs Rupert is not as good as the competition in every aspect. I used to play around with the other models years ago, and found that they just didn't quite fit my needs or my style. It's hard to pinpoint any specific like or dislike, but when you have one that is comfortable in your hands, works for you ( Mrs Rupert is at work as I type! ), and is well adapted to the "equipment you have", maybe it is a good thing to stick with "what got you here"?

Now Mrs Rupert can't cook all that well, and still burns the toast or rolls too often, but she has other talents the other models never had. I've been on the other side of the fence, the grass look nice and green......until you get there.
Best Regards!
03-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Well, there are many reasons why Mrs Rupert is not as good as the competition in every aspect. I used to play around with the other models years ago, and found that they just didn't quite fit my needs or my style. It's hard to pinpoint any specific like or dislike, but when you have one that is comfortable in your hands, works for you ( Mrs Rupert is at work as I type! ), and is well adapted to the "equipment you have", maybe it is a good thing to stick with "what got you here"?

Now Mrs Rupert can't cook all that well, and still burns the toast or rolls too often, but she has other talents the other models never had. I've been on the other side of the fence, the grass look nice and green......until you get there.
Best Regards!

Very good points. At the end of the day, it only matters what works for the individual user. That's why I don't like to bash other people's opinions on gear. There are many people that prefer to work only with manual focusing. I am not one of those people, but it doesn't give me an excuse to make fun of anyone who doesn't like autofocus.
03-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Each to their own I say

Unless you have used both the K5 and the D7000 one can't really form an opinion

I did and I bought the Nikon - for MY reasons which were important to ME;-)

Real life shooting is where it matters not reviews in magazines.
03-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #27
Forum Member

Quite a few people have mentioned using more than one systems at the same time. There are advantages to all systems and it is certainly imPortant to try them all, if possible. I thought keeping the kx to use with limiteds or when traveling and getting a D7000 for other uses, perhaPs when fast AF is more important made sense to me. Maybe when the K5 price drops under $1000 I will get one to rePlace my kx.
03-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Wouldn't it be more realistic to use the Pentax 17-70 in your comparison?
03-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Then he can't make the point of using a DA* lens that costs more... pfft!
03-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Str8talk83: nicely written and spot on. +1. We have another reasonable thread going.

After agreeing with it all, as best I can tell, I'm very happy with a bag or two of Pentax gear. Isn't life grand?