Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 04:26 AM   #31

My 2 cents

I own Canon, Nikon and Pentax systems. I Like them all..7D trumps anything I have seen so far. Would certainly buy a K5 when it goes below 900 bucks or so..going at this rate I can look at it 6 months from now. It started at $1699..now available at many places for about $1350. 7D has not lost much off the price yet( still around $1500 for the body), D7K is still $1299- where it was when it started about 6months ago. So all in all Pentax loses its value a lot faster than Canon or Nikon.

If I were to pick one 7D would be it...Canon makes its own sensors and I believe its a much better one that the Sonys found in Pentax and Nikons...

03-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sagiboy Quote
I own Canon, Nikon and Pentax systems. I Like them all..7D trumps anything I have seen so far. Would certainly buy a K5 when it goes below 900 bucks or so..going at this rate I can look at it 6 months from now. It started at $1699..now available at many places for about $1350. 7D has not lost much off the price yet( still around $1500 for the body), D7K is still $1299- where it was when it started about 6months ago. So all in all Pentax loses its value a lot faster than Canon or Nikon.

If I were to pick one 7D would be it...Canon makes its own sensors and I believe its a much better one that the Sonys found in Pentax and Nikons...
A buddy of mine has a 7D, so we have had the opportunity to do some pretty direct comparisons.
The K5 doesn't suffer from low ISO banding, which is one of those little things that the 7D seems prone to, and as good as the 7D is, we have concluded that the K5 is at least 1.5 stops better for high ISO noise.
The K5 also beats the 7D up pretty well in the DR category.
OTOH, the 7D has far better AF, which for some people is obviously more important.
The 7D also doesn't mount Pentax lenses, which for some people is obviously more important, as a lot of users don't want the financial liability of changing systems every couple of years.
Generally, people who just buy camera bodies and a couple of kit zooms don't have this concern.
03-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just watched the video twice, wanted to be sure I heard everything he said. Which actually is nothing.
As it is said before, the K-5 beats the D700 in the DXO test, and that isn't really a difference, so out the window with it. But DXO says the D7000 is better in High ISO, so let's adres that for 2 minutes, oh and let's not forget to adres the AF for another 2 minutes.
He should go into politics, talking for almost 5 minutes, and not saying anything.

I do own the K-7, which AF system is not really good (so he says). But I do shoot sports with it, even birds in flight, and haven;t had a problem with AF at all ( not more anyway tha with other camera's). SO I wonder if he really has owned a K-7 or that he just does not knwo how t use a camera.

And in the end it is image quality that matters, and I wonder how many people will see a difference in quality over almost any DSLR out there now, when most pics are viewed on screens, or printed max A4. Let me tell you, I can't. Not even if you will put an A4 print of an old 6MP camera next to a 14MP camera
03-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I own both and the sensor in the K5 is better. AF and lens options are on Canon's side. You can get a K5 and 16-250 in DA* lenses for @ 3650. That option is totally weather sealed and pretty much dust proof (proven to me in Afghanistan) Equivalent will cost Significantly more for the Canon. Also the 17-55 EFS has no equivalent for crop frame in L glass. In everything other than REALLY fast moving objects the Pentax will perform. If you NEED a really fast AF then get the 7D and high end ring usm glass. It's by no means a clear decision to go with Canon, you are losing image quality because the sensor is behind the K5's.

03-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Didn't bother to watch the video, as I figured it was biased based on all the responses here. Anyhow, I've used both the D7k and K-5, but at the end of the day preferred the ergonomics and size of the K-5. To me AF was very similar between the two, despite the Nikon's "3D tracking" or "39 Point" AF. I tracked things moving horizontally and running towards me (mainly my dogs ) and found them to be similar. Nothing concrete, but that's my anecdotal experience. Most other old Nikon users profess the AF to still not be as good as the 300s.

I also want to mention that I've used the D7k with Nikon's "Pro Zooms". Namely the 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200 (newer Nikon holy trinity). Although the quality was great, the size and weight of those lenses are tremendous. Not to mention the cost.

Anyhow, I find it confusing when people want the D7k because it's cheaper than the K-5. Sure the body is cheaper, but if you really want a good lens (i.e. like the ones i mentioned), they are way more expensive then any Pentax equivalent. So I see overall pricing being a moot point unless you enjoy Nikon's lower lens offerings. But hey, whatever works for the user.
03-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #36

I own Canon, Nikon and Pentax systems. I Like them all..7D trumps anything I have seen so far. Would certainly buy a K5 when it goes below 900 bucks or so..going at this rate I can look at it 6 months from now.
If you're waiting for $900, you're going to be waiting a very long time (possibly forever)....
03-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #37

I haven't seen any banding on my copy of the 7D. With the Japanese situation, I think the price of SLRs and lenses are going to go up. Anyone sitting on the sidelines better grab one(regardless of make). I read reports about wholesalers planning to hoard..its sad...but capitalism has its own ways...

03-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #38
Inactive Account

Sain K-5 on nytten meinaan huippuhyvä kamera. Ei enään tarvitse ja kannata verrata mihinkään muuhun tusinatuotteisiin.
03-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #39

Was sort of funny in a way and nearly as negative as this review.
Pentax K5 - Review - Enthusiasts Camera? Does It Offer Enough For The Cost?
Some people just dont feel the passion.
03-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #40

Its just about the price /value ratio. K-5 is the most expensive APS-C Pentax DSLR to date and at this time priced higher than the 60D and the D7000, so naturally people will compare. If it was priced at $999, IMHO it would have been a tremendous value. With the stained sensor and the Focusing issues plaguing it unlike the earlier K series, K-5 will definitely find a hard time justifying the cost. Also keep in mind the used camera market, because of the sensor issue its going to be tough selling it 5-6 months from now. The K7 will retain its value more than the K5..in my opinion that is....
03-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

Its just about the price /value ratio. K-5 is the most expensive APS-C Pentax DSLR to date and at this time priced higher than the 60D and the D7000, so naturally people will compare. If it was priced at $999, IMHO it would have been a tremendous value. With the stained sensor and the Focusing issues plaguing it unlike the earlier K series, K-5 will definitely find a hard time justifying the cost. Also keep in mind the used camera market, because of the sensor issue its going to be tough selling it 5-6 months from now. The K7 will retain its value more than the K5..in my opinion that is....
No one has ever heard of economy of scale when it comes to pricing equipment, I guess.
I'm amazed that anyone would think the K7 will hold it's value given how overall vastly superior the K5 is.
03-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #42

Let me re-phrase

All I was saying was if you buy a K7 today for $850 or so, and a K5 for $1350, after 6 months you will get less for the K5 compared to K7..you will loose more money on the K5..I agree that K5 is a superior camera but its priced way higher than its competition, and with the issues that has come to the fore- its going to be tough selling one easily.

Let me ask you guys a question....wont you be paranoid to buy a used K5- and ask more questions as opposed to buying a K20D or a K7 or any other K series DSLRs..???
03-17-2011, 01:07 AM   #43
Inactive Account

Tuhlausta ostaa K-7 , kun K-5 on pitempiikäinen ja parenpi.
03-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
I just watched the video twice, wanted to be sure I heard everything he said. Which actually is nothing.
As it is said before, the K-5 beats the D700 in the DXO test, and that isn't really a difference, so out the window with it. But DXO says the D7000 is better in High ISO, so let's adres that for 2 minutes, oh and let's not forget to adres the AF for another 2 minutes.
He should go into politics, talking for almost 5 minutes, and not saying anything.
I agree with almost everything you stated even what I didn't cut and paste. He doesn't really say anything relevant except reveal his own biased views. After watching the video the second time and hearing him say the Nikon autofocus system "will never let you down", I knew he was totally full of &%#$(%$#. I have stood next to someone with a Nikon D700 (a more expensive full frame camera and listened him complain how he missed some flight shots of birds. I have stood next to a guy with a $3,000.00 APS-H Canon and listened to him tell me that it is hard to get good flight shots and we were both missing them at times. I think I am qualified to refute his opinions:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewdalerichardson

More toward reality, using autofocus depends more or less on the skills of the user and knowing how to use your camera. It takes some practice.

Last edited by traderdrew; 03-24-2011 at 07:09 AM.
03-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #45
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
The guys a putz.... an he would have'credibility if he would shut up about the High ISO. I would love to have a d7000 with good glass to test the AF. I have heard it is good. but do not know how good or how bad for that matter.

Those are some great shots, dale.

Last edited by garyk; 03-24-2011 at 07:10 AM.