Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sagiboy Quote
All I was saying was if you buy a K7 today for $850 or so, and a K5 for $1350, after 6 months you will get less for the K5 compared to K7..you will loose more money on the K5..I agree that K5 is a superior camera but its priced way higher than its competition, and with the issues that has come to the fore- its going to be tough selling one easily.

Let me ask you guys a question....wont you be paranoid to buy a used K5- and ask more questions as opposed to buying a K20D or a K7 or any other K series DSLRs..???
All cameras go down in value to a certain extent over time. I don't really follow Nikon prices, but I am sure that the D90 sold for less after being on the market for 6 months than it was released at. Obviously, the devastation in Japan will cause some effect right now -- if there are parts/sensor shortages, the prices on equipment could go up a little in the short term for all makers.

I think what is missed here is what others have said: the price of top end glass is not factored in. The Nikon D7000 may focus faster in certain situations, but only when paired with top end glass with ring motors. These are lenses like the 70-200 f2.8 VR II that currently sells for 2500 dollars. That lens/body combination would not only be more expensive, but it would be huge in comparison to, say, the K5 combined with a 50-135 f2.8.

As to feeling nervous about used K5, not particularly. Sensors issues have been pretty much weeded out at this point. Other things are fixable under warranty. It is fairly telling that I am not seeing many K5 cameras on the market, while 6 months after the release of the K7, there were many on the marketplace already. People who own it, really like it, even if there are some frustrations with it at times.

03-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #47
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sagiboy Quote
All I was saying was if you buy a K7 today for $850 or so, and a K5 for $1350, after 6 months you will get less for the K5 compared to K7..you will loose more money on the K5..I agree that K5 is a superior camera but its priced way higher than its competition, and with the issues that has come to the fore- its going to be tough selling one easily.

Let me ask you guys a question....wont you be paranoid to buy a used K5- and ask more questions as opposed to buying a K20D or a K7 or any other K series DSLRs..???
I have an acquaintance here that has a new D7K......he held and used my K5 yesterday. Now he is disappointed in his D7K, and may even send it back. The K5 is just superior...feels superior, shoots superior, and has a lot more features for real world shooters. It was the features that rocked him.....lots of great features!

Now as for price, the K5 is worth what you pay or it or you wouldn't buy it....doesn't that make sense? For me it is worth every dime, mine is perfect. If you are looking for an investment, I suggest you try stocks and bonds, I've done pretty well there, but never considered a camera as a financial investment......that's just plain dumb. Cameras are to use, deliver the results you expect, and provide some joy in life.....if there is any camera that does this better than the K5, I haven't heard of it.

You want investment advice....any major Japanese Co that has taken a hit on their stock in the current disaster.....in a year you will receive a very nice return. The Japanese are an industrious people, you can have confidence in a big recovery. Or....you can buy a box of D7K's and tell me how you are doing in about a year.
My K5 "investment" has already paid dividends, and I've only had it a week! Best camera I have ever owned, by far!
Best Regards!
03-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I have an acquaintance here that has a new D7K......he held and used my K5 yesterday. Now he is disappointed in his D7K, and may even send it back. The K5 is just superior...feels superior, shoots superior, and has a lot more features for real world shooters. It was the features that rocked him.....lots of great features!

Now as for price, the K5 is worth what you pay or it or you wouldn't buy it....doesn't that make sense? For me it is worth every dime, mine is perfect. If you are looking for an investment, I suggest you try stocks and bonds, I've done pretty well there, but never considered a camera as a financial investment......that's just plain dumb. Cameras are to use, deliver the results you expect, and provide some joy in life.....if there is any camera that does this better than the K5, I haven't heard of it.

You want investment advice....any major Japanese Co that has taken a hit on their stock in the current disaster.....in a year you will receive a very nice return. The Japanese are an industrious people, you can have confidence in a big recovery. Or....you can buy a box of D7K's and tell me how you are doing in about a year.
My K5 "investment" has already paid dividends, and I've only had it a week! Best camera I have ever owned, by far!
Best Regards!

I really love how all it took to change one of the biggest K-5 detractors to one of the biggest enthusiasts is USING one!

Pentax should use you in their next commercial.
03-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This video has already been discussed Here

03-24-2011, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Best Regards!
Glad you are enjoying!

One man's meat is another man's poison - or so the saying goes.

I preferred the Nikon D7000 due to my specific shooting requirements - it also has failed to disappoint.

All the latest dslr's from most manufactures are stunning machines and are all capable of producing stunning results
03-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #51
Inactive Account

K-5 on nyt suurin ja kaunein.
03-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Glad you are enjoying!

One man's meat is another man's poison - or so the saying goes.

I preferred the Nikon D7000 due to my specific shooting requirements - it also has failed to disappoint.

All the latest dslr's from most manufactures are stunning machines and are all capable of producing stunning results

I won't argue with that at all. The K5 fits all my needs just perfectly, and for my friend, it was more what he wanted in a camera also. We are indeed fortunate, no matter the brand, to have such good choices. None of them are bad choices, and none of them are perfect....but I think my K5 is pretty damn close!
Best Regards!

03-29-2011, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Camera fanboys, whether they are Pentax, Canon, Nikon or other fanboys are too narrow minded to be bothered worrying about.

They are outside the standard deviation of common sense.

I found this appropriate. My wife and I are both enthusiasts, her with a Nikon me with my Pentax. We recently decided to upgrade from our older bodies, so I got a K-5 and she got a D7000.

Use what you like, use what's comfortable for you, use what best suits your purpose. Leave the wailing and gnashing of teeth over "This guy thinks my stuff isn't as good as his!" to people who are so emotionally stunted as to derive their sense of self worth from the things they own. Take beautiful pictures, enjoy your gear, and ignore the foolish.
03-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #54
Forum Member

ive decided to cut in cause,

im a owner of k-x, focus is crappy ( ive t1i as well and it does 95% sharp ones where pentax does it 50/50, only when i get the focus pics are better) and when lens matters, systems, price whatever, or sensor quality you name it, you can shovel all of it into you a** when you getting off focus pictures, so tell me again, how great camera it gotta be to let her waste half of the shots cause of focus ?

dont get me wrong i love my k-x, and im looking to upgrade it to k-5, i went to b&h, took some pics around and with d7000 i took 14 portraits and 14 were almost perfect, sharp !!! besides fast quiet focus omg no review can describe it,

then i went to pentax k-5, i took about 20 pics, 8 portraits and i got 3 off focus pictures ( focus missed but few inches) rest i took around i was also disappointed, remaining 5 portraits were ok, 2 of them were awesome ( better than d7000)

so now i wanna buy he pentax camera but i really wanna nikon focus system, im reading thinking for a week and cant decide ! im scared of focus but want it, in other words i love camre hate picture, but purpose of camera are pictures thats why im leaning towards nikon, only lenses are holding me back.
03-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #55
Veteran Member

If you think the D7000 will give you better photos, you are in for a disappointment...it won't. But you should shoot with what you feel comfortable with, no matter the brand. For me, the D7000 just does not keep up with the features of the K5....and it didn't for my friend either, he sent his back on Friday and ordered a K5.
Best Regards
03-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
look at the button layout of the d7000 its not a serious camera.
03-29-2011, 11:11 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fafo13 Quote
ive decided to cut in cause,

im a owner of k-x, focus is crappy ( ive t1i as well and it does 95% sharp ones where pentax does it 50/50, only when i get the focus pics are better) and when lens matters, systems, price whatever, or sensor quality you name it, you can shovel all of it into you a** when you getting off focus pictures, so tell me again, how great camera it gotta be to let her waste half of the shots cause of focus ?

dont get me wrong i love my k-x, and im looking to upgrade it to k-5, i went to b&h, took some pics around and with d7000 i took 14 portraits and 14 were almost perfect, sharp !!! besides fast quiet focus omg no review can describe it,

then i went to pentax k-5, i took about 20 pics, 8 portraits and i got 3 off focus pictures ( focus missed but few inches) rest i took around i was also disappointed, remaining 5 portraits were ok, 2 of them were awesome ( better than d7000)

so now i wanna buy he pentax camera but i really wanna nikon focus system, im reading thinking for a week and cant decide ! im scared of focus but want it, in other words i love camre hate picture, but purpose of camera are pictures thats why im leaning towards nikon, only lenses are holding me back.

I've come from 2 events (one company dinner and one colleague's wedding). Both occasions, the same few camera enthusiast mates from my company attended and were asked to help shoot. (D90, D7k, A700)
Both cases the o/p from my K5 was far better.
AF was better than the Nikony's, with far fewer OOF picts.
The general thought is that Pentax AF is weaker, but now, I've have seen for myself how untrue that is. (at least wrt K5; I admit defeat for a slower AF if I was on my K7 )
High ISO noise was better.
The K5 very fine and film like noise of the K5 was far better than that of the more pixelated D7K. And that was with NR off and shooting in JPEG.
03-30-2011, 04:28 AM   #58
Forum Member

I would echo the previous comment comparing kx and d7000 in terms of focus. I also tried the K5 for a month or so, IMO only a small AF improvement from kx. Not sure how anyone could claim d7000 is not a serious camera based on buttons!
When k5 goes under $900-1000 I will probably buy one, until then on with the Nikon system.
03-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #59
Forum Member

i do most pics in a low light situation, and i had in my hands d3000 and i was very happy with results, but ive decided ill get 17-70 lenses for my k-x for now and FIX this issue ( pic below) and i may be happy with k-x or go for k-5 ( its just sexy or a noob thinking that better camera will give me better results) but first gotta get my k-x to work correctly !!!
Attached Images

03-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
look at the button layout of the d7000 its not a serious camera.
Don't know about it being serious or not, but a colleague of mine who just got a D7K, initially commented "Why your K5 has all the buttons on the right side? I don't like it"

I immediately showed him how I could be viewing the viewfinder and changing modes, AF modes and points, ISO, EV compensation, etc w/o taking my eye away, and that shut him up