Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2011, 12:19 PM   #61
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Don't know about it being serious or not, but a colleague of mine who just got a D7K, initially commented "Why your K5 has all the buttons on the right side? I don't like it"

I immediately showed him how I could be viewing the viewfinder and changing modes, AF modes and points, ISO, EV compensation, etc w/o taking my eye away, and that shut him up
I think that can all be done with the d7000 after getting familiar with the position of the buttons etc. Having said that, I think spot on focus is better for me than not getting my eye off the viewfinder

03-31-2011, 10:47 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tbirdas Quote
I think that can all be done with the d7000 after getting familiar with the position of the buttons etc. Having said that, I think spot on focus is better for me than not getting my eye off the viewfinder
Change ISO by holding down the ISO button on the left and then scrolling on the right..... ??
doable, of course. I could even use my toes if I summoned up the will to use them
Just not as well thought out imo.

Last edited by pinholecam; 04-02-2011 at 06:52 AM.
04-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Change ISO by holding down the ISO button on the left and then scrolling on the right..... ??
doable, of course. I could even use my toes if I summoned up the will to use them
Just not as well thought out imo.
I have a D90. The rear scroll wheel can be programmed to change ISO without having to push or hold down the ISO button. I suspect that the D7000 has the same feature.

Jeff
04-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
I have a D90. The rear scroll wheel can be programmed to change ISO without having to push or hold down the ISO button. I suspect that the D7000 has the same feature.

Jeff
But don't you lose access to aperture, shutter, ev comp, or whatever you had on the rear dial before?

04-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #65
Veteran Member

When I was looking into my K-5 being my first DSLR this is pretty much what I tracked down.
When it was all said and done, I wanted a CAMERA not a video camera, so the IQ was (as it should be) the biggest factor.

D7000
Pro's = Price & Video features, dealer availability, common enough to borrow/rent lenses everywhere.
Con's = Good glass generally costs more (not talking about 3rd party lenses), not weather sealed.

K-5
Pro's = IQ & Image Stabilization in the body, weather sealed, backward compatability with older lenses & lots of great prime lenses.
Con's = Poor video feature set (comparitively). Not as popular and harder to find rentals or people to borrow and try out lenses.
04-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know why nobody has mentioned this before (perhaps I missed it) but for me the lens release button is just in the correct position on PENTAX cams.
Have recently used a friend's NIKON (cant remember the model) and to change a lens there I could have done with a third hand. To change lenses on Cameras where the release button is anywhere else but on the right hand side which allows you to press it while holding the cam as you normally would and use your left hand to work the lens is just a terrible fiddle. For me its important when I am out amongst the action.

Greetings from sunny Melbourne
04-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I don't know why nobody has mentioned this before (perhaps I missed it) but for me the lens release button is just in the correct position on PENTAX cams.
Have recently used a friend's NIKON (cant remember the model) and to change a lens there I could have done with a third hand. To change lenses on Cameras where the release button is anywhere else but on the right hand side which allows you to press it while holding the cam as you normally would and use your left hand to work the lens is just a terrible fiddle. For me its important when I am out amongst the action.

Agree, it's little things like this that make the experience better for me. Another one is TAv and Manual mode. I can leave auto ISO on for my other modes, slide into manual to manual select ISO, or switch to TAv and use auto ISO.

On CaNikon, I have to go through the menu to turn on/off auto ISO when I'm in manual mode. It's a bit annoying, though at least they have the option compared to the entry level Pentaxes.

04-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Agree, it's little things like this that make the experience better for me. Another one is TAv and Manual mode. I can leave auto ISO on for my other modes, slide into manual to manual select ISO, or switch to TAv and use auto ISO.

On CaNikon, I have to go through the menu to turn on/off auto ISO when I'm in manual mode. It's a bit annoying, though at least they have the option compared to the entry level Pentaxes.
You are so right. The way I see it, with today's technology available to all makers of any goods (not only cams) and the performance of cameras in particular being almost identical from brand to brand it is possibly only those little thoughtful things that sets one apart from the other. Traditionally PENTAX seems to have been always good at this.

04-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #69
Inactive Account

Nikon D7000 over the K5? What if I want an all-mag alloy body, though?

And they have different sensors? Since when?
04-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #70
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I guess you could ask if the K5 trumps the Nikon D7K on a Nikon Forum, and hear similar comments...in reverse.....but there is no denying that Pentax has some of the best features of any camera maker. Ease of use is just superb on the K5, and Tav and Sv are very handy, I wouldn't want to be without them. Let a blind man handle the D7K and the K5..... let him determine which feels the most substantial and solid...the K5 will win every time, because it is! It just is, that's a fact. There are lots of great cameras, but here is only one K5, and it is a certified winner.
Regards!
04-07-2011, 03:17 AM   #71
Veteran Member

the K5 sells for 300 dollars more than the D7000 ... Remember when this would have been complete unthinkable lol!
04-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
But don't you lose access to aperture, shutter, ev comp, or whatever you had on the rear dial before?
I use aperture priority almost exclusively, so I had to check how the camera dials work in different modes on the D90. I don't know how interesting the info below to most Pentax users, but it may help compare the relative easy of use of the cameras.

First, there are two mutually exclusive settings on the D90. Easy ISO lets you use one of the dials to change ISO without pushing a button. Easy EV lets you do the same for exposure compensation. So, depending on how you set these, you need to push a button and turn a dial to change either ISO, or EV, or both.

With Easy ISO set, here's how it works:
  • In aperture priority, the front dial controls aperture, the rear ISO
  • In shutter priority, the rear dial controls shutter speed, and the front one ISO
  • In P mode, the rear dial controls "flexible program", the front dial ISO
  • In M mode, Easy ISO does not work. You have to press the ISO button to change ISO
Jeff
04-08-2011, 02:52 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
I use aperture priority almost exclusively, so I had to check how the camera dials work in different modes on the D90. I don't know how interesting the info below to most Pentax users, but it may help compare the relative easy of use of the cameras.

First, there are two mutually exclusive settings on the D90. Easy ISO lets you use one of the dials to change ISO without pushing a button. Easy EV lets you do the same for exposure compensation. So, depending on how you set these, you need to push a button and turn a dial to change either ISO, or EV, or both.

With Easy ISO set, here's how it works:
  • In aperture priority, the front dial controls aperture, the rear ISO
  • In shutter priority, the rear dial controls shutter speed, and the front one ISO
  • In P mode, the rear dial controls "flexible program", the front dial ISO
  • In M mode, Easy ISO does not work. You have to press the ISO button to change ISO

Jeff
If I understand the K5's manual correctly (page 282), it basically has the same options except for P mode; you can even select which dial does what.

I haven't played with those settings on my K5.
04-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #74
Veteran Member

That's it!

I'm selling all my Pentax gear and getting a Sony just to pee him off.
04-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
If I understand the K5's manual correctly (page 282), it basically has the same options except for P mode; you can even select which dial does what.

I haven't played with those settings on my K5.
Correct. And in P, you can tell the camera to do P-Shift with one and ISO with the other, or you can program the other dial for exposure comp if you so desire.