Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax DA 17-70 is also "considerably" a great deal more expensive and yet not offering a better optical performance even though it has a constant aperture

No correlation was made between the two lenses at Photozone

Study the graphs at Photozone and the 16-85 is doing better at all focal ranges, hence why it's given a slightly better optical score.

The 16-85 is better as an all round lens (for me that is) because (a) it goes wider - 24 is better than 26 (b) more reach - thus making it a much nicer travel lens (c) it's way cheaper
(d) I bought the 70-300 as well with the savings;-)

In 30 years of mountaineering in extreme environments I have never needed a weather sealed lens;-)

06-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting. The Pentax DA 17-70 is 480 dollars on Amazon, while the Nikon 16-85 is 675 dollars on Amazon. As far as I can tell, that is 200 dollars in Pentax's favor, but I'm not very good with math...

Edit: I guess you are quoting South Africa prices, in which case, I would probably go with Nikon too. Just let it be said that in North America and Europe there isn't the same imbalance in pricing.
06-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KLSMpls Quote
Nikon has better zooms according to who? I would argue that is far from true as well. I have looked at many reviews of Canikon lenses compared with Pentax and until you spend over a grand for their best lenses, Pentax does better. And you even see the difference? In most cases probably not and most likely nothing you can't fix in post processing.

What Nikon does have is a greater selection and I sure wish Pentax would fix that so the brand has more appeal to pros as well....but Pentax does not seem after that market for whatever reason.

If we are talking Photozone reviews maybe everyone should read their review on the latest Pentax 18-135 on the K5 - I don't care if it has wr if it is sub par optically

and remember I was talking "consumer" zooms not pro

the Canon 18-135 is an old consumer lens yet performs better (albeit slightly) optically than the new Pentax which is once again "considerably" more expensive

The Nikon version is more expensive for sure yet is all over the Pentax and Canon optically.

Yes the pro zoom lenses e.g. 70-200 2.8 from Canon and Nikon are expensive and big- but they will outlive you and optically and af wise, Pentax has nothing even close.
06-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Interesting. The Pentax DA 17-70 is 480 dollars on Amazon, while the Nikon 16-85 is 675 dollars on Amazon. As far as I can tell, that is 200 dollars in Pentax's favor, but I'm not very good with math...

Edit: I guess you are quoting South Africa prices, in which case, I would probably go with Nikon too. Just let it be said that in North America and Europe there isn't the same imbalance in pricing.
Unfortunately Pentax has all but vanished in SA

Some retailers have tried but it's basically dead as a brand

06-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #95
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Study the graphs at Photozone and the 16-85 is doing better at all focal ranges, hence why it's given a slightly better optical score.
Photozone warns against comparing results from different brands. In any case, the Nikon MTF results appear a tad inflated in comparison with the Pentax results. Simply compare the tests of 3rd party lenses such as the Tamron 90 and the Sigma 10-20. Why do the Nikon versions score higher than the Pentax versions?

I wouldn't place too much faith in photozone resolution tests. They may give a general indication, within rather wide parameters, of how a lens can be expected to perform in resolution tests; but they fall a long ways short when it comes to evaluating the optical performance of a lens.
06-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #96
Forum Member

Don't know if anyone saw this but here's another comparison of the D7000 and K-5, with a focus on noise. K-5 wins on noise, close on most other aspects. ISO Torture Test: Pentax K-5 vs. Nikon D7000, which is better? at The Phoblographer
06-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #97
Veteran Member

ISO Torture Test: Pentax K-5 vs. Nikon D7000, which is better? at The Phoblographer

I just pulled this quote from the article above: "The D7000, meanwhile, offers more fine tuning, defaulting to 1/3 stop steps compared to the K-5′s full steps."

Someone doesn't know how to use the K-5

06-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #98
Pentaxian

yeah well, the K-5 is often compared to the D7000 because of the same sensor. But it shouldn't be. The K-5 is clearly made for the advanced amateur / professional photographer and the D7000 for amatuer /advanced amateur. Just look at the scene settings with the D7000, which is as you all know for people that do not have a clue about photographing, and have a DSLR because they have to. But want to use it as a P&S camera.
06-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #99
Forum Member

I got my first Pentax (the Spotmatic) my sophomore year of high school, 1967. I was really into it : I set up a darkroom in the basement, dragged that camera with me everywhere. By graduate school, there was no time, photography was a time-consuming hobby… and so I let it go. From time to time over the years I'd still take pictures, and I'd always drag out that old Spotmatic with its 50mm lens, well into the digital era. The camera has performed beautifully over the years, such a well-made piece of equipment. I still have it, it looks great, works great (as far as I know).

Returning to photography in recent years, I naturally first looked at Pentax. By then I knew that Nikon and Canon were dominating the market, that the path of least resistance would be to choose one of those and stay with it, but I went to stores, played with them, held them… they just didn't *feel* the same as Pentax, that solid, no-nonsense feel…

And there's that optically spectacular (especially for the price) 18-55mm kit lens; there are those three tiny, light-weight pancake lenses (21mm, 40mm, and 70mm); for sure, fewer lenses than the Big Two, but all really high quality, solidly made, all made to last.

My K20D has been a workhorse these past two years as my Spotmatic used to be. And it looks and works like new. I take good care of my gear, but Pentax makes it easy, their gear is SO solid.

And so I read the reviews of the Nikon 7000, & I was ready to switch if I felt there was a good reason to do so … but given the binary choice, I chose the K5, still do. Small, and solid.

Mine arrived today. Can't wait to go out shooting.
06-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by starstuff Quote
I got my first Pentax (the Spotmatic) my sophomore year of high school, 1967...
Mine arrived today. Can't wait to go out shooting.

Great story, neighbor!
06-15-2011, 06:15 AM   #101
Forum Member

Thanks Mike. In a city densely packed with photographers, we Pentaxians are a rare breed,
06-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #102

I happened to be in Bath, UK today (on vacation), and the Bath London Camera Exchange had a used DA 50-300 pretty reasonably priced, $250 US - may buy it tomorrow, perfect shape, with the hood, etc.

Also tried out a D7000 for the first time - it feels nothing like a K-5, and frankly, the only thing I could see going for it was the dual SD slots. The buttons seemed scattered all over the place, although I'm sure you could get used to them.

It felt like plastic, huge in my (small) hands, no weather sealing as far as I could tell. The guy in the shop just smiled when I guffawed, and said, yeah, well, they don't sell much Pentax gear, but a lot of Nikon stuff. Don't know if I could pound nails into a 2x4 with the K-5, but I do know the D7K would shatter at the first strike. More power to the Nikon fans, I'll stick with the K-5.

By the way, Bath is a great place to visit, very much the tourist place, but it has so much history and stuff to see - highly recommend it.
06-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #103

Traderdrew,

What lens are you using for those bird photos? They're quite sharp.
06-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #104
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 30v iPentax Quote
Tuhlausta ostaa K-7 , kun K-5 on pitempiikäinen ja parenpi.
Not if it is one with problems . . . stains, shutter . . . Besides, the depreciation on the K-7 will be relatively less over the next 2 years than the k-5. The K-5 is better in performance but at a cost.
06-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #105
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Nikon D7000 over the K5? What if I want an all-mag alloy body, though?

And they have different sensors? Since when?
I like the K-5 chasis better than the Nikon D7000 because it is more complete that was obvious when both were in the pre-release stages.