Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #16
Forum Member

Abe's sent me early version of k-5 with stains-today!

I ordered the K-5 from Abe's of Maine and received it today. The serial number was very early (383XXXX) and when I did the stain check there was a cluster of 3 spots in the center of the image, visible at f/16. It's already on it's way back and I ordered another from Adorama.

No one I spoke to at Abe's was aware of the sensor stain problem and they noted that they had no provisions for checking serial numbers on cameras shipped to them.

Sarah, you need to find out why Abe's is still shipping old stained K-5's

Bob

03-17-2011, 10:24 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Jos saa tällaise 39xxxxx tai vanhemman kannattaa perua kauppa ja tilata K-5 muualta. Sehän on selvää huijausta. K-5 pitää olla tänäpäivänä 40xxxxx tai uudenpi.
03-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Oh dear! I will definitely check into that. I am not too familar with the technical aspects of the Pentax K5 but i will inform the buyer of this situation ASAP! Im sorry that happened and I hope the returns process was smooth!
03-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I received my k-5 (adorama) and the extended warranty (Amazon via photoworld) this evening. As I mentioned before, reason I went to Adorama was that they matched 1350 price and I had more confidence that they would have newer models.

Firmware is 1.01.

I have a question for people living in US. Did you get a warranty card? I got one 'serial number card' and another paper that says 'World wide service'. Is that the same as warranty card?

First impressions
Well, k-5 is SMALL. Having D700, I had totally forgotten how small the k-x was. And k-5 looks to be as small as that, although I don't have the k-x anymore to compare. Feels solid in the hands. The battery compartment opens with a small twist counterclockwise. That is something I haven't seen before. SD-card worked OK for me. I had read that the card didn't pop out very well. But I tried many times and it came out perfectly with a slight push.

With the FA 31, Auto focus seems to be OK so far, much slower than the D700 though. The shutter sound is a big improvement. K-5 is very stealthy.

To get started, I just read about how to setup Auto ISO in the manual. Why do we have three settings there - slow, normal, fast? That's something new for me.

Another improvement over D700 is that the circular multi-buttons on k-5 are more solid. THat circular button on 700 always felt flimsy. For now, I have just set the shutter button to not focus on half click, set AF button to focus, set focus mode to AF-C, and set the raw button to bracket mode.

Took a ceremonial first shot. You can appreciate the great effort I put in the shot...still half laying on the couch, and bringing the camera all the up to the eyes... Plan to take some more pics later tonight.

cheers,

Abhi

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I still haven't managed to move too far away from my coffee table , but here is another shot in lower light. The camera is really small, I keep trying to switch it off by turning the front dial

cheers