Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Abe's of Maine for k-5

Hi,

I am about to order a k-5. Abe's of maine has it for 1350. This is the first time I am ordering from them but the return policy says 30 days. So that should be good enough in case I get a lemon.

Anyone here has any good/bad experience with them?

Thanks,

Abhi

03-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I have bought a number of things from Abe's. Other than my first purchase of my K-10 in early 2008 when I got a call back from them trying to do a soft up sell on my camera+kit lens, which wasn't bad but was a surprise, I have found them to be very reputable and equipment purchased was as advertised.
03-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #3

As long as you know that there is no-one called Abe and the store is in New York and not Maine! They are not as top-rated as Adorama, B&H and J&R. Check Reseller Ratings.

Mike
03-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

i just purchased one from amazon prime for 1379, with 12 months to pay... received it quickly.. serial number is 393-----.... still have to check it for any issues.... their return policy is 30 days as well...... fwiw... if someone doesn't need the 12 month plan... i'd buy from b+h in a second.... dave m

03-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I have bought a couple of lenses from them. Both were well priced, nib and quickly delivered.... BUT you will receive a call from them asking you to 'confirm' your credit card. In reality, they will be asking you to buy additional items. Not high pressured, though. Bottom line, if they have the best price and the deal you are looking for, go for it.
03-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
choices

So these are the prices -

Abe's of maine - 1350$
Adorama - 1370$
Amazon - 1380$
B&H - 1400$

All offer free shipping and a 30 day return policy.

Now, another point of consideration for me is the extended warranty. Mack's extended warranty for 19.99$ was available a few days back. But now it is no longer available, on any of these websites.
On amazon there is en extended warranty for k-series DSLR for 9.99$.

'Pentax DSLR K Series 2-Year Extended Warranty' It is a Pentax warranty being sold via photoworld.
"Technical Details
PENTAX Imaging Company warrants to the original purchaser the product to operate according to factory specifications for a period of three years from the original date of purchase (one-year standard + two-year extended)
PENTAX will provide, at no charge, one complete check-up at any time during the warranty period. This includes inspection of all camera functions to see that they meet factory specifications.
NOT VALID IN FLORIDA. THE COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA OR WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW."

But since it just says K series, I am not completely sure it is for k-5. I will call and ask.

Abhi
03-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just an update. I called Adorama, and they matched the 1350$ price. Really cool.

Now my k-5 is on the way.

I have a DA 15, DA 70 and FA 31...I have a k-x which I was not using any more, since I bought a D700. With the k-5, its my returnto Pentax. and the wonderful lenses..
03-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi all,

My Name is Sarah and I work at Abe's of Maine. I am here to answer any questions or concerns about our company. In the meantime, please see some more information about our company here : Abe's of Maine's History - Why Abe?s of Maine when it?s not located in Maine?

And our promise here: Abe's of Maine's Promise - Cameras and Electronics since 1979!

03-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
Just an update. I called Adorama, and they matched the 1350$ price. Really cool.

Now my k-5 is on the way.

I have a DA 15, DA 70 and FA 31...I have a k-x which I was not using any more, since I bought a D700. With the k-5, its my returnto Pentax. and the wonderful lenses..

Welcome back, Dexmus! As you have used a D700, and will soon have the K-5, it will be interesting to hear your impressions on how the two cameras compare. Please keep us informed.
03-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I ordered my k-5 yesterday from adorama (I used the phone line for pentaxforums) and they matched the 1349 price. Fast free shipping too - I expect my camera tomorrow!
03-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
But since it just says K series, I am not completely sure it is for k-5. I will call and ask.
Abhi
yes, the k-5 is included, i chatted with Pentax and bought one from B&H
03-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #12

I bought many lenses from them..they are legit..highly recommended. I also see that one of their employees have registered with the forum. Hopefully they will follow up with customers like Adorama and BH.
03-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #13

Abes of Maine Reseller Rating is OK

Reseller Ratings gives Abes of Maine 8.27, Adorama 9.5 and B&H 9.8.

Quite high enough to give Abes the business if they have a good deal.

I stand corrected on Abe - he really existed!

Mike
03-16-2011, 04:36 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote
Reseller Ratings gives Abes of Maine 8.27, Adorama 9.5 and B&H 9.8.

Quite high enough to give Abes the business if they have a good deal.

I stand corrected on Abe - he really existed!

Mike
Yep Abe really exsisted and while Abe's of Maine was in NY for a while (Brooklyn I think) they are now located in NJ. Which is good for me as a NYC resident I have to pay a hefty 8.75% sales tax on stuff bought at Adorama or B&H. I still buy stuff from Adorama but really big purchases are usually online.

NaCl(I wish it weren't so as I like supporting locally, but I do my best)H2O
03-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #15
Inactive Account

hooray!

yes, Abe still exists-- he sits in the office right outside my cube. Hes really a great guy. We try to do our best with customer service and we are located in Edison, NJ (we were once in Maine though!)

If you ever need any assistance, come find me!