Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter

FF issues & living with it

Just wondering how you guys live w/ FF issues as it seems like a way of life for all cameras. And, I'm sure some fine tuning is always inevitable.

So if I understand correctly, you have to test and calibrate/fine tune each lens for each lighting conditions?

I don't have a K5 as of yet but serious about it. Is there only one setting for all lenses in the camera? Is that one setting good for all lenses? Does the camera keep setting on a per lens basis so you cam pre-calibrate each lens and the K5 will know which one to use?

My b-day coming up and do hope my wife sees so obvious how I have PF bookmarks plastered in every computer we have

Thanks
FotoTix

03-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I was only able to see some signs of "the issue" in conditions where my camera is on the tripod anyways because there's just that little light... and i'm mostly using LV when the camera is on the tripod... so as such, I don't have any issues at all... nothing really to get anal and stinky about...
03-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I remember going through a bit of a phase with my K20's where I found myself in a tug-of-war with adjusting and calibrating lenses. Until I finally got sick of it and talked to a Pentax service personnel(via email) who recommended I send in my units along with my PK lenses for adjustment. At which point... the camera and all three lenses were adjusted properly. Which was a very good thing because it gave me my starting for for consistency. I'd try out a Sigma(for example) and found that it had a FF. So I had no issue microadjusting that particular lens and so on and so forth, and so things seem to of gotten better from that point on.

Long story short, have you considered calibrating your kit?
03-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I remember going through a bit of a phase with my K20's where I found myself in a tug-of-war with adjusting and calibrating lenses. Until I finally got sick of it and talked to a Pentax service personnel(via email) who recommended I send in my units along with my PK lenses for adjustment. At which point... the camera and all three lenses were adjusted properly. Which was a very good thing because it gave me my starting for for consistency. I'd try out a Sigma(for example) and found that it had a FF. So I had no issue microadjusting that particular lens and so on and so forth, and so things seem to of gotten better from that point on.

Long story short, have you considered calibrating your kit?
I did similar and with the same outcome. I was told that having the kit re-adjusted after few years of usage is a common thing to do. The pros with most expensive lenses and bodies have to do the same once in a time. And it was not expensive at all (I mean with camera and lenses out of warranty).

03-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was just fast forwarding my dilemna when I start to collect lenses (i.e. LBA) and having to assess fine tuning settings then having to remember every lighting condition w/ those settings for each lens. Right now, I want/need/long to have just 2 excellent lenses: 1 limited prime and the da* 16-50. So John are you suggesting that I whine to Pentax and send it in for calibration under warranty? What do I do when I get my da* 50-135, then what?
03-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fototix Quote
I was just fast forwarding my dilemna when I start to collect lenses (i.e. LBA) and having to assess fine tuning settings then having to remember every lighting condition w/ those settings for each lens. Right now, I want/need/long to have just 2 excellent lenses: 1 limited prime and the da* 16-50. So John are you suggesting that I whine to Pentax and send it in for calibration under warranty? What do I do when I get my da* 50-135, then what?
You'd have to send in the camera and whatever lenses(Pentax ones) that matter most together in order to get a reliable setup in terms of microadjustements.

BTW. My wife and I have always sent-in our units for CLA to annually. However, I only did the lens/camera adjustment deal one time and it seems to of held-up every since(AF wise).
03-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Plus, if your subject would stand still for more than 2 seconds, Live View nails the focus everytime ...
03-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Plus, if your subject would stand still for more than 2 seconds, Live View nails the focus everytime ...
Sadly, focusing speed in LV on K5 feels faster than regular focusing speed on K100/K10/K20...

03-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Sadly, focusing speed in LV on K5 feels faster than regular focusing speed on K100/K10/K20...
That....is a good thing, isn't it? The LV AF ain't half bad on the K5. Actually, I would call it useful even. It'll AF a TC that wouldn't even dream of moving in phase detect focus low-ish light.
03-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So guys, if you set the lens fine tuning parameter for a 35mm lets say, does this apply then for all other lenses? In other words if I had to calibrate for a ltd lens will the same setting also apply for a da* zoom lens? Is that the theory? Or do I have to dinker w/ the setting for each type lens?
03-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

So guys, if you set the lens fine tuning parameter for a 35mm lets say, does this apply then for all other lenses? In other words if I had to calibrate for a ltd lens will the same setting also apply for a da* zoom lens? Is that the theory? Or do I have to dinker w/ the setting for each type lens?
K-5/K-7 and K20D hold individual settings for upto 20 lenses. Any lens that supplies an ID code to the camera can have it's own setting.

You can of course older lenses and remember to dial in the settings manually when attach the lens
03-15-2011, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Just wondering how you guys live w/ FF issues as it seems like a way of life for all cameras. And, I'm sure some fine tuning is always inevitable.

So if I understand correctly, you have to test and calibrate/fine tune each lens for each lighting conditions?

I don't have a K5 as of yet but serious about it. Is there only one setting for all lenses in the camera? Is that one setting good for all lenses? Does the camera keep setting on a per lens basis so you cam pre-calibrate each lens and the K5 will know which one to use?

My b-day coming up and do hope my wife sees so obvious how I have PF bookmarks plastered in every computer we have

Thanks
FotoTix
I'd strongly recommend taking a lot of photos, without undertaking any DIY calibration, and being *absolutely* sure your camera/lens combo has an issue, before attempting any adjustment yourself.

After 25 years' photography and nearly 20 years' on internet/usenet forums, I'm certain that a large proportion of focus problems are caused by people reading a load of crap on the net, taking a few photos of an A4 'focus chart', and then FUBARing their cameras themselves.

Just saying, like.
:-)
03-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graham67 Quote
i'd strongly recommend taking a lot of photos, without undertaking any diy calibration, and being *absolutely* sure your camera/lens combo has an issue, before attempting any adjustment yourself.

After 25 years' photography and nearly 20 years' on internet/usenet forums, i'm certain that a large proportion of focus problems are caused by people reading a load of crap on the net, taking a few photos of an a4 'focus chart', and then fubaring their cameras themselves.

Just saying, like.
:-)
this.