Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Yeah, you're kind of misinformed, here. I received my K5 on 3/7. It had a serial # of 393xxx and a mfr. date of 1/25/11. That's barely more than 30 days from manufacture to being shipped to me. As we've been discussing here, Pentax serial #'s are not assigned in a strictly linear fashion. Therefore, you can't go by the serial #, you go by the mfr. date. My K5 thus far is perfect.

If someone returns a camera (to Pentax) for stains and receives the same serial # back, there is nothing wrong with that, they have just opted to repair it. Pentax told us that any K5 made after sometime in Dec. (can't remember the exact week) is safe.

You're espousing your ideas as though they are fact. You have no proof that Pentax is doing what you say. It also seems as though you have not read the thread that you've posted in.

Also, you can't tell Amazon to send you a copy from a certain serial # range. B&H may do that for you, but not Amazon.
Especially since the OP has already returned it.

03-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #32

I wouldn't knowingly pay full price for a pre-owned camera any more than I would for a pre-owned automobile!
03-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Its a shame Pentax is creating factory refurbs and selling them as brand new instead of refurbed. Buyer beware !
I have no indication that they do, but given the struggles Pentax had with the K5, I would like them to make a clear statement on wether any camera they sell is refurbished or not. I am sure I would have had no problem with keeping my copy if it had been labeled as refurbished (if this had been the case at all). What I don't like is not knowing what I have.

From my point of view the right thing for Pentax to do is to clearly mark any refurbished camera as such and sell it at a discount, even if it is as little as 50 bucks or so. I'd be the first to go for one.
03-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #34

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Its a shame Pentax is creating factory refurbs and selling them as brand new instead of refurbed. Buyer beware !

Full warranty is nice, but you've obviously received someone else's reject camera with a lower serial number and Pentax modified build info placed in exif data to fool new K-5 customers.

Its a real shame.
Oh Boy, A whole new rumor we start to smear Pentax with.

And I was just starting to think I was going to have to be happy with my K-5 and its great performance.

03-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by geezer52 Quote
Oh Boy, A whole new rumor we start to smear Pentax with.

And I was just starting to think I was going to have to be happy with my K-5 and its great performance.

Imagine That! It's worthless now, Isn't it? ( :sarc: )

03-19-2011, 12:37 AM   #36
Veteran Member

K-5 on paras.
03-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by geezer52 Quote
I've simply resigned myself to being astonished by the performance of the k-5. It's sad, but true. I'll have to struggle on with what so far appears to be the best camera I've ever owned. Tragic, no?
03-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Plain Skies Quote
I wouldn't knowingly pay full price for a pre-owned camera any more than I would for a pre-owned automobile!
But how would you know if the camera is pre-owned or not? Nowadays you go into a camera store and purchase a "look like brand new" camera from the shelf. That one may be the "return" by another customer because the store has a 7-day return no question ask policy. That's why I am in favor of restocking fee if there is nothing wrong with the purchase unless it is proven defective.