Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is here! What to do next...

Okay, so the new K-5 arrived today. Yipee! It is serial number 393xxxx - which is good, right? I have the battery charging and I have downloaded the firmware update, so I will be tackling that after dinner. My question is how to I check for sensor stains? Is there anything else besides the firmware update and checking for stains that I should be doing?

Thanks!

03-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well that's a coincidence ! i just got mine earlier this week, serial number 393..... as well... from amazon prime... waiting to get some time to get mine up and running ..
from what i've read, shoot the sky (no clouds preferably) at f22, or f16, look at the pics.... if it's clear, hooray !!! no stains.... i've read that many folks have received k-5's (new) with dirty sensors, so as i've done with my k200d and k-x, i'd check the camera's sensor by using the onboard system, and if the pic shown has dust, use the onboard cleaning program a few times.... may even require a rocket blower cleaning if there are stubborn dust spots.....
keep us posted, and as our moderators tell us, all the time, register your serial number in our database.... hope everything turns out aok !! dave m
03-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
from what i've read, shoot the sky (no clouds preferably) at f22, or f16, look at the pics....
If you don't have a clear sky (or it's night), shoot a plain white surface, keeping it out of focus (eg a fridge door, from close up, focused to infinity). Together with the f16-22, it also helps to set a low ISO, so you don't have noise complicating your assessment. It doesn't matter if that results in a long exposure - anything on the sensor will be clearly visible. It also helps to scan the pics at 100% magnification, as the small spots are often not clear in full view. Many of us found the spots dead centre, looking like a "string of pearls" - dark spots with a distinct halo round them. My second K-5 has two very small ones bottom right, but they are insignificant for normal shooting, and I've decided to live with them. Good luck, and enjoy your K-5 - its a wonderful camera.
03-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great! Well, I may have to use a wall to check for sensor stains since it has been gray and raining here for two days and my fridge door is black ;o) The battery is still charging, so this might not happen tonight. Still, since I will be using the camera to shoot weddings I want to be certain that the sensor is stain free. I guess I will just need to keep checking for the next few weeks as I put the camera through the ropes.

03-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Is there anything else besides the firmware update and checking for stains that I should be doing?

Thanks!
Skimming the manual.
03-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I thought you said you were getting it on Thursday, a day early ha.

You can check for stains without going outside. Set the shutter speed to 2-3s. and point towards a light colored wall. Sway the camera as you take the picture. Only the stain (if you have one) will be in sharp focus.

cheers,

Abhi
03-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Don't hold your breath... I have a 39xxxx serial that will be going back for the pearl issue after my paid gigs are done. There were no stains when I got it, they are there now after moderate live view usage and some long exposure stuff...

03-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Abhi, thanks! I will do that to check it as soon as this battery is done - it has been charging since 5 so it is taking forever (or I am just impatient).

Special K - I am actually reading the manual now. I am focusing mainly on the differences between the K20 and the K5...otherwise I might fall asleep.

Soppy - that is what I am afraid of. I was going to order it in April, but my paid weddings start in May and I will have engagement shoots before that. I know I can always go back to my K20 if it is stained, but I am really hoping that this camera will be okay. I will do some long exposure shots next week to see if I can force the issues (if it is there and hiding).
03-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

It is here! What to do next...

Start planning some shooting expeditions.
Why not enjoy your camera for a while before you go out of your way to find unhappiness?
03-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Start planning some shooting expeditions.
Why not enjoy your camera for a while before you go out of your way to find unhappiness?
.... I echo that. Despite having stains on my 1st K-5, I took it on holiday for a month, and enjoyed it immensely. I've never had a camera that felt so "right" in my hands, and got more keepers than ever before. It's truly a joy to use. Apart from when I set up the conditions to look for stains, I only ever found 2 real world shots (out of about 1000), where I could actually see them. That said, I did want a clean copy, and when time allowed I exchanged it (Adorama changed it immediately, no questions asked - took only the time for a visit to the shop).
03-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Don't get me wrong, I plan on enjoying the camera. I actually didn't realize that the stains were not obvious on real world shots. I was just concerned that I would go to shoot a wedding and the whole thing would be ruined with marks that would be difficult or impossible to remove in photoshop.

That said, I am doing a photowalk in the city this weekend. I am pretty sure that the camera will be with me all of the time for the next few weeks.
03-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually didn't realize that the stains were not obvious on real world shots
I could only see stains at f11 or higher, and only if there was a plain, light background behind them (a small patch, dead centre). That hardly ever happens in my shots. Maybe more of a problem for macro, when stopping down for max DOF is more common.
03-17-2011, 01:19 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Amerikan mantereella on ollut näköjään vanhaa varastoa jäljellä. Ei sillä numerolla väliä, kunhan ei ole tahroja. Euroopasa ja etenkin pohjolassa on 4007xxx numero menossa ja sekin on pitkällä. Kannattaa vaihtaa jos on vähääkään vikoja. Nyt vaihdot nopeampia, kameroita on tulossa japanista nopeasti ja paljon. Kannattaa kaikkien nikon ja conon käyttäjienkin vaihtaa kunnon kameraan.
03-18-2011, 05:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thought I would give you guys an update. We haven't had blue skies here since I got the K-5, and even though I have some white walls in my house I have just been enjoying the camera too much to both looking for stains right now. I upgraded from the K20 and I just kept walking around on Wednesday talking about how sick this camera is. I know that the photographer takes the picture, not a camera, but the odds of awesome shots go up with a piece of machinery like this. I am totally impressed.
03-19-2011, 12:10 AM   #15
Inactive Account

On tällä hetkellä paras kamera tämä K-5.