Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Finally got a good one...

I went out to pick-up a K-5 on Friday, but it turned out to be problematic(wouldn't focus at all). So I skipped it and waited for some new stock to come-in. I Picked-up a replacement today and everything seems to check-out okay, so I took it home.

It's still a bit early to tell for sure, but its looking as though it came without any of the focus issues in low light. It certainly is showing some notable AF capacity in low light in contrast to the K20D though it doesn't have the zip, lock, click the D700 has. Perhaps, I'll need to tweak some settings to help improve in that area still.

Whatever the case, I'll setup some charts later and run some tests against some other bodies to see if I can't draw some better conclusions. Though the real test, will be when I put it to work in the skating rink this coming weekend.. :P

Beyond that... I will admit, that I do find the K-5 to be a bit small in my hands. I've always considered the D700 a man's camera, and the K20D came across as a refinement of that, but the K-5(imo) does feel petite in all respects. And so I'm hoping the grip will help with that. I have one on order, but it wasn't in just yet.

Well that's about it for now I guess.
So all that's left now is putting this thing to work now

03-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats John. I hope you love the K-5 as much as I do.

I agree the k-5 and k-7 feel a little small in my large hands. The battery grip changes all that. Its like the camera was made to be used with the BG. Of course the extra battery capacity also means I can shoot for days without a recharge. Very cool.
03-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have to agree about the grip. It really helps with the camera.
03-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find it depends on what shooting mode I'm in. With a large zoom or long lens on board, the grip makes handling much easier. But with a pancake or other prime, and when walking around or in a museum, the compact and unobtrusive package seems to work just fine without the grip. You may find that the solid, compact and ergonomic feel of the camera grows on you.

03-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yep the grip is good, feels more like my K20, only heftier.
03-17-2011, 01:22 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Hyvä se on minunkin K-5.
03-17-2011, 03:03 AM   #7

Great John,, will you be adding comparison shots with your D700?

03-17-2011, 04:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanWarrior Quote
Great John,, will you be adding comparison shots with your D700?
Yes, I'm hoping to get some done over the weekend.
The only problem is, there's only me and my wife to man the camera's and she doesn't like nor use the D700 much. So I'll be stuck with her on the K-5, which isn't exactly ideal . - So I'm not sure what were going to come-up with in terms of toe-to-toe comparisons. However, I do plan on doing some tests at home between them(if time will allow it). March is always a very busy month here, and time always seems against us. arg!
03-17-2011, 04:26 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Yes, I'm hoping to get some done over the weekend.
The only problem is, there's only me and my wife to man the camera's and she doesn't like nor use the D700 much. So I'll be stuck with her on the K-5, which isn't exactly ideal . - So I'm not sure what were going to come-up with in terms of toe-to-toe comparisons. However, I do plan on doing some tests at home between them(if time will allow it). March is always a very busy month here, and time always seems against us. arg!
Ok but do you think it fairs good with it from the pictures you have seen?
03-17-2011, 04:38 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations on the camera, John. Looking forward to seeing your photos as time goes by and interested as well in your feelings of strengths vs weaknesses of the K5 versus D700.

I do think you will like it with the grip. I know that I find my K7 to feel incomplete without that (although it is kind of nice to put a limited on it without the grip and it makes a pretty small package).
03-17-2011, 04:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bjdavey Quote
I find it depends on what shooting mode I'm in. With a large zoom or long lens on board, the grip makes handling much easier. But with a pancake or other prime, and when walking around or in a museum, the compact and unobtrusive package seems to work just fine without the grip. You may find that the solid, compact and ergonomic feel of the camera grows on you.
I couldn't agree more
03-17-2011, 04:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanWarrior Quote
Ok but do you think it fairs good with it from the pictures you have seen?
Based on IQ, and on what I've seen to date(from other forum members) , I would say yes.

However since my own objectives revolve around low light photography, I think the verdict is still out on how the K-5 compares to the D700 in this area of performance. Though I am truly pulling for Pentax this round(fingers crossed).

As for my own limited exposure to the K-5, I'd say output is definitely up to the task. I setup and shot what I would call tough shots last night and the K-5 had no problems creating RAW files that would meet or exceed all of my expectations.
03-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Tämähän on K-5 pilkkaa jos rinnastetaan jotakin D700 samassa jutussa.