Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K5 + which two lenses?

I'm set on getting the K5. But now comes the usual dilema of which lenses to get. I like to shoot street and take candids of strangers. However, I'm not one of those people with internal fortitude to get up and close and personal. I also like to take candids during social events, which are typically indoors. Lastly, I also like to take photos during travel, which (other than of the local folks and my GF) would also encompass landscape, architecture, and other points of attraction.

My thoughts for now is that I'd like to have at least one zoom lens that could be a good walk around, and one prime that would be used indoors and in low light situations.

I've been debating the following combos, and I'm interested in learning more about your experience with these lenses in combination with the K5 (or other Pentax DSLR's):

18-135 and 43 Ltd - nice, small and light kit; some flexibility with the 18-135's focal length

Sigma 17-50 and 70 Ltd (or 77 Ltd or 100 FA WR) - the allure of a constant 2.8 on a standard zoom; plus the little extra reach on the prime for walkaround sniping or portraits with great bokeh; this would be the least flexible combo as the reach would be most limited, but IQ wise, it might be the best (priciest too)

Sigma 18-250 and 43 Ltd - even more flexible than the first combo and would forego needing a telephoto lens in the near future; BUT the 18-250 is much bigger and chunkier than the 18-135 (and even the 17-50), which is a downer as I am choosing the K5 (over the D7000) especially because it's the smallest semipro DSLR; IQ of the 18-250 probably worse than the 18-135

So these are my thoughts, and I'd love to hear yours as well. I am open for other suggestions too.

Thank you for your assistance!

03-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Armanius Quote
18-135 and 43 Ltd - nice, small and light kit; some flexibility with the 18-135's focal length
My vote!

Or the DA*55mm/f1.4 instead of the 43 Ltd. Both ways you have a nice combo.
03-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my experience 43 is too long for indoors, especially for groups of people, and definitely not wide enough for street and walkaround. Remember that it goes up to around 64mm on the APS-C sensor. I use the DA 21mm F3.2 limited for the above, and it is perfect, with great IQ. It is also a good compromise wideangle for landscapes. Being a pancake, it is small and unobrusive on the camera (especially on the K-5), and draws much less attention for candid shots.
03-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I also agree 43 is long for indoors. Sigma makes a fast 30 that might work for you.

03-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

only two lenses?

get them all!!!
03-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

18-135 + 31
03-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Tamron 17-50/2.8 & Sigma 50-150/2.8

I have the 43 and it's a wonderful lense. But right now you need more flexibility. The two 2.8s will do fantastic indoors with the high ISO of the K5.

03-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
18-135 + 31
My vote!
03-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input!

@RonHendricks - 55/1.4 looks pretty cool. Pretty pricey for a fast 50 though! But like other said, if the 43 is already too long for indoor people use, the 55 would be even longer. Maybe this will be my 3rd lens!

@BJDavey - The DA21 sounds nice, but that would require me to get closer that I am comfortable doing for street shots. Plus, can you tell me the allure of using the DA21, other than the fact it's a pancake? Wouldn't stopping down a zoom lens down set at 21mm give me everything that a DA21 would? With the f3.2 max aperture, is it also a bit slow to use for low light indoor photo?

@SpecialK - Sigma 30 sounds like a good choice. Little cheaper than 43 too.

@Pablom - Yes, I'd like to get tons of lenses! But I'm still trying to sell off some of my other stuff. But yes ... one day, they will all be mine!!

@Ubuntu and Fullerton - 31 Ltd was something I was eyeing. But it's butt expensive!! I can't find an image thread in the forum for the 31 Ltd. Anyone?

@Frogfish - I don't think they make the Sigma 50-150 anymore. Plus, it looks like a big lens. I'm trying to keep the package small, hence one of the reasons I decided to go for the K5. Is the Tamron 17-50 better than the Sigma 17-50? The Sigma has the SDM equivalent plus in lens IS, which is nice.

Keep the advice coming please! I can't wait until I finally get the K5. Wohoo!!
03-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the input!

@RonHendricks - 55/1.4 looks pretty cool. Pretty pricey for a fast 50 though! But like other said, if the 43 is already too long for indoor people use, the 55 would be even longer. Maybe this will be my 3rd lens!

@BJDavey - The DA21 sounds nice, but that would require me to get closer that I am comfortable doing for street shots. Plus, can you tell me the allure of using the DA21, other than the fact it's a pancake? Wouldn't stopping down a zoom lens down set at 21mm give me everything that a DA21 would? With the f3.2 max aperture, is it also a bit slow to use for low light indoor photo?

@SpecialK - Sigma 30 sounds like a good choice. Little cheaper than 43 too.

@Pablom - Yes, I'd like to get tons of lenses! But I'm still trying to sell off some of my other stuff. But yes ... one day, they will all be mine!!

@Ubuntu and Fullerton - 31 Ltd was something I was eyeing. But it's butt expensive!! I can't find an image thread in the forum for the 31 Ltd. Anyone?

@Frogfish - I don't think they make the Sigma 50-150 anymore. Plus, it looks like a big lens. I'm trying to keep the package small, hence one of the reasons I decided to go for the K5. Is the Tamron 17-50 better than the Sigma 17-50? The Sigma has the SDM equivalent plus in lens IS, which is nice.

Keep the advice coming please! I can't wait until I finally get the K5. Wohoo!!
I have just bought the 50-150 - it's still available if you look around. It's about the same size as the 50-135. Not a small lense but covers a brilliant range and it's sharp, fast, HSM and 2.8.

The Sigma 17-50 edges the Tamron but for nearly twice the price - not sure it's worth it. However the Tamron 17-50/2.8 is one of the best value buys out there. Check out the Tammy thread here on PF.
03-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Plus, can you tell me the allure of using the DA21, other than the fact it's a pancake? Wouldn't stopping down a zoom lens down set at 21mm give me everything that a DA21 would?
Hi Armanius. It's difficult to describe the attraction of Pentax primes, in particular the Limiteds, because a lot of it is somewhat abstract. Some use the term "pixiedust", for the magical quality that some lenses have and others don't. The image is not only clear and sharp, but has rich deep colors, sometimes almost 3D standout clarity, and beautiful soft bokeh. It makes you think "wow!", even when you first see it on the back of your camera. I have the DA*16-50 and the 60-250, both are great zooms, and when I only had those I thought they were all I needed. Until I tried one of the Limiteds (my first was the 40mm 2.8). There was such a difference that I was astonished, and there was another order of magnitude leap when I saw the results of the 77 f1.8 (my second Limited prime). I suppose it depends on what you want, and what is meaningful to you. For me, the results of the zooms are good (even very good). But with the primes, you get images that somehow just pop, and catch attention in a way that doesn't happen with the zooms. I now almost exclusively use my growing band of primes, and I've got used to having to change lenses more than I used to - its worth it. Moving from IQ, the limited primes are in another class of build quality. Once you've handled one, and felt the silky smooth action and solid feel, perfectly matching the feel of the K-5, it's difficult to use anything else. For walkaround, or if you are at a social event, you can have one of the pancake trio on your camera, the other two in your pockets, and you have a portable, high quality outfit covering wide to medium tele, without even needing a bag to carry it around. Lastly, but for me not least, there is the aesthetic quality of how they look on your camera - all of the Limited primes just look as if they belong on a K-5 - unobtrusively elegant. I'm comfortable to admit that part of my enjoyment of photography is the simply the joy of handling high quality, precision made equipment. So that's my very personal view of the allure of Limited primes. All I can suggest is to try one, and see if the magic works for you (you can always return it if not up to expectations). But all of that is not to say that zooms don't have their place. To keep up with quick action and variable and viewpoints (a wedding maybe), there's nothing to beat a good fast zoom.
03-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
Inactive Account

da 16-50 f2.8 for street stuff its just the perfect range and its weather resistant this stays on 90% of the time then choose a lens that fits your style go fisheye wide 10mm-24mm or go long 50mm-200mm i personaly love wide with all the distortions ;]
03-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #13

Original Poster
@Frogfish - Thanks for the tips on the Tamy 17-50!

@BJDavey - Nice explanation of the intangibles about the Ltd primes. It's almost the same thing I hear about Leica lenses. Although the Ltd's are at least more affordable!

@Clarence - Thanks for the input. I did read that the Sigma 17-50 was every bit as good as the DA* 16-50 though. And a little bit cheaper too. But it's not weather sealed though.
03-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #14

QuoteQuote:
The limited primes are in another class of build quality. Once you've handled one, and felt the silky smooth action and solid feel, perfectly matching the feel of the K-5, it's difficult to use anything else. For walkaround, or if you are at a social event, you can have one of the pancake trio on your camera, the other two in your pockets, and you have a portable, high quality outfit covering wide to medium tele, without even needing a bag to carry it around. Lastly, but for me not least, there is the aesthetic quality of how they look on your camera - all of the Limited primes just look as if they belong on a K-5 - unobtrusively elegant. I'm comfortable to admit that part of my enjoyment of photography is the simply the joy of handling high quality, precision made equipment. So that's my very personal view of the allure of Limited primes.
Those are by far the best sentiments and statements that I have ever read on the limited edition lenses. Thank you bjdavey for expressing the sentiments in a manner that I would never have been able to do. Well done !!
03-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
Forum Member

I have the K5 + 2 DA prime lenses: 16-50mm and 60-250mm. These should cover the vast majority of what you are shooting.