Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do I need to be concerned? 2nd K5

I bought a used K5 from Amazon Warehouse last week and feel in love with the new camera from the start. (I’m moving up from a K10d)

All was going great till Wednesday morning when the stain arrived!!!!!!!!

That afternoon it was in the mail back to Amazon.

I bought a new one or so I was told from Adorama and had it ship next day. So, here I am with my new K5 that has a Serial # 39369xx, the firm ware version 1.01, and 849 pictures taken already.

DO I NEED TO BE CONCERNED?

I went outside and took a couple of pictures of the clear blue sky, the settings were the same as those in which the stains show up in the other K5 and I don’t see anything so far.

Do the stains show up right away if the camera has it?
Do they show up only at certain setting?
How can one be sure if the sensor has them or not?
How do I tell manufacturing date?

Thanks for any and all help!
Rob

03-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Although the usual thing seems to be that the stains (if any) have been there out of the box, there are also reports of them developing after some time. A statement from Pentax Germany mentioned the root cause as some volatile substance having ended up inside the sensor assembly. Speculation is that this would have been drops of some solvent or such used in the manufacture that eventually evaporates and leaves behind a residue on the inside of the filter glass (=stain). Taking some video would warm up the sensor and speed up evaporation which should help discover the spots within a return window. However, the same Pentax Germany statement also told that units made since week 50/2010 should be clean. E.g. Photome can be used to check the manufacture date from the image files.
03-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sending it back to Amazon for an exchange is no guarantee you'll not get another camera body that is stain free. The only definite way to resolve the issue is to send it back to Pentax for a free sensor replacement. The musical chair of K-5s with sensor stains still floating around in the market will only be resolved if some poor sod decides to buy it and doesn't know about it or when someone takes the initiative to get it serviced with Pentax. Meanwhile retailers will just keep selling to whoever wants to buy, as they got no time or inclination to check their stock for the issue. End users like the TS will typically go for a refund or exchange and complain loudly when they can get the matter resolved by sending it back to Pentax for service but with the inconvenience of not having a camera to use in the interim.
03-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks I did send the Amazon k5 back for a refund not an exchange. Im hoping the new one from Adorama is in fact a new one.

03-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Also, be sure that what you're finding is actually the stain, and not just a single piece of dust. I have a feeling that a lot of people are confusing the two because of all the hype surrounding the issue.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #6

Original Poster
Adam,
I'm sure it was the stain on the first one. It was just like the examples on this forum. The second one is perfect so far.
03-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rwfarnell Quote
Do the stains show up right away if the camera has it?
There have been cases where yes, the stains show up right away, and there have been cases where the stains have developed over time.

Do they show up only at certain setting?
While the stains, if they are there, will always be there, they tend to only be visible in a photo when you shoot at smaller apertures, e.g. F11 or above. With my stain-affected K-5, I couldn't really make out any stains until F16 or smaller.

How can one be sure if the sensor has them or not?
Death and taxes are the only two things in life you can be sure of. However, you can check to see if the stains are there, and the method to do so has been covered in this forum before. I suggest you try the "search" feature of the forums, as I can't recall off the top of my head where the thread/post is.

How do I tell manufacturing date?
You can take a photo with your camera, and then open up that photo on your computer with a program called PhotoMe. There should be a field called Manufacture Date.

Thanks for any and all help!
You're welcome.
03-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a #39369 I just got Monday......it is perfect. No stains, no FF, no flash problems....just perfection!
Best Regards!

03-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Uden K-5 ostajan kannattaa vaatia tilatessaan kameran, että kamera on 400xxxx sarjaa tai uudenpi varmistaakseen että ei ole enään tahroja. Ei asiakkaan kannata ottaa itselleen mitään huolia asiasta.
03-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #10

Original Poster
I down loaded Photo me and my manufacture date is 2011-01-21. All is great so far, I was out this morning taking pictures of the full moon setting into the Gulf of Mexico. I will giving the K5 a good work out over the weekend and hope to post some pics soon.

Thanks again for all the help!
Rob
03-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Sounds like you have a camera that was manufactured well after the cutoff date for when they had the sensor problem pinned down.
Enjoy your camera.
03-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 : It seems your piece has been put together well after they figured out what the problem was and straightened it out .