Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #16
Forum Member
metungnasi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 82
I bought one at prodigital(ebay) I wonder if I can buy this warranty at amazon by photoshop.

03-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 666
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jay_akita Quote
That was fast - I just ordered mine late last night! Did you sign up for the email alert???
I did sign up for the email alert and it was in my inbox this morning - so I quickly purchased and then posted on here. I know a lot of people have been waiting for them to restock. I got the camera from Adorama, but they weren't certain if the warranty they had in stock would work on the k5 for not.
03-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Dma110's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gilbert Arizona
Posts: 559
Just ordered mine thru Amazon. Thanks for the info
03-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #19
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
How can a warranty go out of stock!?
Mine for K-X and K-5 came as a small package including a warranty card. When they run out of small packages that include a warranty card ......

03-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #20
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
from pentax imaging...NOT VALID IN FLORIDA,THE COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA OR WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. THIS U.S.A. EXTENDED WARRANTY IS ONLY VALID WHEN CAMERA IS SENT TO PENTAX IMAGING COMPANY.

must be the laws in those respective states... doesn't seem right/fair.... dave m..
Square Trade, for example, was unable to do business in Wisconsin for quite a while. It appears that what is described as a "warranty" by the seller may be something else under certain legal definitions.

In Wisconsin, the way Square Trade did its "warranty" actually met the legal definition of "insurance". I would pay them a fee (premium) and they would pay repair claims up to a maximum amount - the price paid for the camera. Or they would replace the camera - once.

After either of those actions, the Square Trade policy terminated even if the time period has years to go. It wasn't a 3-year warranty but rather a one-time replacement policy.

Their policy may have changed so I don't represent their current offer.

Under a true warranty, a company would continue to repair and/or replace the camera until I ran out of problems or the warranty period expires.

Consumer protection means different things to different people .....
03-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #21
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 11
And Floridians are just - out of luck?
03-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #22
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Square Trade, for example, was unable to do business in Wisconsin for quite a while. It appears that what is described as a "warranty" by the seller may be something else under certain legal definitions.

In Wisconsin, the way Square Trade did its "warranty" actually met the legal definition of "insurance". I would pay them a fee (premium) and they would pay repair claims up to a maximum amount - the price paid for the camera. Or they would replace the camera - once.

After either of those actions, the Square Trade policy terminated even if the time period has years to go. It wasn't a 3-year warranty but rather a one-time replacement policy.

Their policy may have changed so I don't represent their current offer.

Under a true warranty, a company would continue to repair and/or replace the camera until I ran out of problems or the warranty period expires.

Consumer protection means different things to different people .....
That is still how Square Trade works, and it is more accurate to describe it as a replacement policy or "insurance" rather than as a warranty. Nothing wrong with it, you just have to know what you're getting.
03-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #23
Site Supporter
dhodgeh's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: FLA-USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 162
QuoteOriginally posted by war eagle Quote
And Floridians are just - out of luck?
Being a Floridian, I would love to know the answer to this.

03-20-2011, 09:58 PM   #24
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6
Definately not valid in Florida

Just checked the Pentax web site, and it definately states that the extended warranty is not valid in Florida and Virginia. Not sure what this would really mean though. You probably could not register the warranty with a Florida or Virginia address, but it's hard to believe they would refuse to service a registered warranty just because the camera was mailed to them from Florida or Virginia. After all, you could be there on vacation.
03-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member
soppy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gainesville
Posts: 348
QuoteOriginally posted by Kathiewe Quote
Originally posted by dcmsox2004*
from pentax imaging...NOT VALID IN FLORIDA,THE COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA OR WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. THIS U.S.A. EXTENDED WARRANTY IS ONLY VALID WHEN CAMERA IS SENT TO PENTAX IMAGING COMPANY.

must be the laws in those respective states... doesn't seem right/fair.... dave m..
That's what I thought... there are many things to love about living in the sunshine state. Our state government is not one of those things -- and this comes from someone who works for a county government and has to deal with these people all the time.
More likely it is the salt near in our great state... I couldn't insure my K5 at my real home (within 8 miles of the beach) so I had to register it to my college home, in Gainesville, due to flooding and salt issues (According to State Farm). If you want a great "warranty", seriously consider insuring. State Farm is covering all of my gear, up to $2500 for $50 per YEAR. Hard to beat that when it cover theft, breaking, dropping, mechanical failures, fire, water damage, etc. Plus it gets all my lenses as well. Just an alternate suggestion for you Floridians out there.


On a side note, if you bought with an AmEx Gold Credit Card, they extend the warranty an additional year to the manufacturers.
03-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #26
Site Supporter
dcmsox2004's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: rhode island
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,231
QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
More likely it is the salt near in our great state... I couldn't insure my K5 at my real home (within 8 miles of the beach) so I had to register it to my college home, in Gainesville, due to flooding and salt issues (According to State Farm). If you want a great "warranty", seriously consider insuring. State Farm is covering all of my gear, up to $2500 for $50 per YEAR. Hard to beat that when it cover theft, breaking, dropping, mechanical failures, fire, water damage, etc. Plus it gets all my lenses as well. Just an alternate suggestion for you Floridians out there.


On a side note, if you bought with an AmEx Gold Credit Card, they extend the warranty an additional year to the manufacturers.



... most interesting.... what's the deductible for your coverage???
and if you've got a contact person at state farm... would like to call them.....(pm)
also, did you get this rate because of being insured with state farm for home and or auto?
thanks, dave m.
p.s. i've got amica... would be worth calling them for coverage...
03-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #27
Senior Member
cwing's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 128
Thanks for the link to Amazon! I'll probably pick it up just as a precaution since it's so cheap. Normally I don't do warranties...
03-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #28
Pentaxian
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
QuoteOriginally posted by scottsmich Quote
Just checked the Pentax web site, and it definately states that the extended warranty is not valid in Florida and Virginia. Not sure what this would really mean though. You probably could not register the warranty with a Florida or Virginia address, but it's hard to believe they would refuse to service a registered warranty just because the camera was mailed to them from Florida or Virginia. After all, you could be there on vacation.
maybe it has something to do with hurricanes. I can't believe salt water has much to do with it.
03-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #29
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio (formerly SF Bay Area)
Posts: 1,464
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
maybe it has something to do with hurricanes. I can't believe salt water has much to do with it.
Alligators.

Seriously, though, it's just Florida state law that's the problem. Florida regards extended warranty coverage as a form of insurance, and hence they regulate it as insurance.

For a manufacturer, having standard warranty coverage generally just requires an internal accounting maneuver to "hold back" some revenue to cover claims that might arise. But offering extended coverage -- in Florida at least -- means that a company would need to organize and register as an insurance company, make itself subject to Florida insurance laws and regulations, and do quite a bit more expensive and burdensome paperwork.

So rather than do that, they just void the coverage in Florida. Pentax is far from the only company that does this. Buyer beware!
03-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #30
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 54
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Alligators.

Seriously, though, it's just Florida state law that's the problem. Florida regards extended warranty coverage as a form of insurance, and hence they regulate it as insurance.

For a manufacturer, having standard warranty coverage generally just requires an internal accounting maneuver to "hold back" some revenue to cover claims that might arise. But offering extended coverage -- in Florida at least -- means that a company would need to organize and register as an insurance company, make itself subject to Florida insurance laws and regulations, and do quite a bit more expensive and burdensome paperwork.

So rather than do that, they just void the coverage in Florida. Pentax is far from the only company that does this. Buyer beware!
You are right, spoke to a camera sales person about this and he explained that in FL they need an underwriter for extended warranties.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax, pentax k-5, pentax warranty, warranty
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K5 Pentax Extended Warranty on Back Order? loveisageless Ask B&H Photo! 10 03-09-2011 12:59 PM
K-5 body to be back in stock shortly at B&H Adam Pentax News and Rumors 38 11-15-2010 07:03 PM
Any idea when the DA 40mm pancake lens will be back in stock? r0ckstarr Ask B&H Photo! 11 08-15-2010 09:11 PM
Genuine m42 mount adaptor back in stock wshi Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 21 03-06-2010 07:48 AM
AF-540 flash back in stock at B&H spillway Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 4 03-15-2007 08:41 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:38 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top