Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I bought one at prodigital(ebay) I wonder if I can buy this warranty at amazon by photoshop.

03-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jay_akita Quote
That was fast - I just ordered mine late last night! Did you sign up for the email alert???
I did sign up for the email alert and it was in my inbox this morning - so I quickly purchased and then posted on here. I know a lot of people have been waiting for them to restock. I got the camera from Adorama, but they weren't certain if the warranty they had in stock would work on the k5 for not.
03-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just ordered mine thru Amazon. Thanks for the info
03-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
How can a warranty go out of stock!?
Mine for K-X and K-5 came as a small package including a warranty card. When they run out of small packages that include a warranty card ......

03-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
from pentax imaging...NOT VALID IN FLORIDA,THE COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA OR WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. THIS U.S.A. EXTENDED WARRANTY IS ONLY VALID WHEN CAMERA IS SENT TO PENTAX IMAGING COMPANY.

must be the laws in those respective states... doesn't seem right/fair.... dave m..
Square Trade, for example, was unable to do business in Wisconsin for quite a while. It appears that what is described as a "warranty" by the seller may be something else under certain legal definitions.

In Wisconsin, the way Square Trade did its "warranty" actually met the legal definition of "insurance". I would pay them a fee (premium) and they would pay repair claims up to a maximum amount - the price paid for the camera. Or they would replace the camera - once.

After either of those actions, the Square Trade policy terminated even if the time period has years to go. It wasn't a 3-year warranty but rather a one-time replacement policy.

Their policy may have changed so I don't represent their current offer.

Under a true warranty, a company would continue to repair and/or replace the camera until I ran out of problems or the warranty period expires.

Consumer protection means different things to different people .....
03-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #21

And Floridians are just - out of luck?
03-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Square Trade, for example, was unable to do business in Wisconsin for quite a while. It appears that what is described as a "warranty" by the seller may be something else under certain legal definitions.

In Wisconsin, the way Square Trade did its "warranty" actually met the legal definition of "insurance". I would pay them a fee (premium) and they would pay repair claims up to a maximum amount - the price paid for the camera. Or they would replace the camera - once.

After either of those actions, the Square Trade policy terminated even if the time period has years to go. It wasn't a 3-year warranty but rather a one-time replacement policy.

Their policy may have changed so I don't represent their current offer.

Under a true warranty, a company would continue to repair and/or replace the camera until I ran out of problems or the warranty period expires.

Consumer protection means different things to different people .....
That is still how Square Trade works, and it is more accurate to describe it as a replacement policy or "insurance" rather than as a warranty. Nothing wrong with it, you just have to know what you're getting.

03-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by war eagle Quote
And Floridians are just - out of luck?
Being a Floridian, I would love to know the answer to this.
03-20-2011, 09:58 PM   #24

Definately not valid in Florida

Just checked the Pentax web site, and it definately states that the extended warranty is not valid in Florida and Virginia. Not sure what this would really mean though. You probably could not register the warranty with a Florida or Virginia address, but it's hard to believe they would refuse to service a registered warranty just because the camera was mailed to them from Florida or Virginia. After all, you could be there on vacation.
03-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kathiewe Quote
Originally posted by dcmsox2004*
from pentax imaging...NOT VALID IN FLORIDA,THE COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA OR WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. THIS U.S.A. EXTENDED WARRANTY IS ONLY VALID WHEN CAMERA IS SENT TO PENTAX IMAGING COMPANY.

must be the laws in those respective states... doesn't seem right/fair.... dave m..
That's what I thought... there are many things to love about living in the sunshine state. Our state government is not one of those things -- and this comes from someone who works for a county government and has to deal with these people all the time.
More likely it is the salt near in our great state... I couldn't insure my K5 at my real home (within 8 miles of the beach) so I had to register it to my college home, in Gainesville, due to flooding and salt issues (According to State Farm). If you want a great "warranty", seriously consider insuring. State Farm is covering all of my gear, up to $2500 for $50 per YEAR. Hard to beat that when it cover theft, breaking, dropping, mechanical failures, fire, water damage, etc. Plus it gets all my lenses as well. Just an alternate suggestion for you Floridians out there.

On a side note, if you bought with an AmEx Gold Credit Card, they extend the warranty an additional year to the manufacturers.
03-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
More likely it is the salt near in our great state... I couldn't insure my K5 at my real home (within 8 miles of the beach) so I had to register it to my college home, in Gainesville, due to flooding and salt issues (According to State Farm). If you want a great "warranty", seriously consider insuring. State Farm is covering all of my gear, up to $2500 for $50 per YEAR. Hard to beat that when it cover theft, breaking, dropping, mechanical failures, fire, water damage, etc. Plus it gets all my lenses as well. Just an alternate suggestion for you Floridians out there.

On a side note, if you bought with an AmEx Gold Credit Card, they extend the warranty an additional year to the manufacturers.

... most interesting.... what's the deductible for your coverage???
and if you've got a contact person at state farm... would like to call them.....(pm)
also, did you get this rate because of being insured with state farm for home and or auto?
thanks, dave m.
p.s. i've got amica... would be worth calling them for coverage...
03-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #27

Thanks for the link to Amazon! I'll probably pick it up just as a precaution since it's so cheap. Normally I don't do warranties...
03-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scottsmich Quote
Just checked the Pentax web site, and it definately states that the extended warranty is not valid in Florida and Virginia. Not sure what this would really mean though. You probably could not register the warranty with a Florida or Virginia address, but it's hard to believe they would refuse to service a registered warranty just because the camera was mailed to them from Florida or Virginia. After all, you could be there on vacation.
maybe it has something to do with hurricanes. I can't believe salt water has much to do with it.
03-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
maybe it has something to do with hurricanes. I can't believe salt water has much to do with it.
Alligators.

Seriously, though, it's just Florida state law that's the problem. Florida regards extended warranty coverage as a form of insurance, and hence they regulate it as insurance.

For a manufacturer, having standard warranty coverage generally just requires an internal accounting maneuver to "hold back" some revenue to cover claims that might arise. But offering extended coverage -- in Florida at least -- means that a company would need to organize and register as an insurance company, make itself subject to Florida insurance laws and regulations, and do quite a bit more expensive and burdensome paperwork.

So rather than do that, they just void the coverage in Florida. Pentax is far from the only company that does this. Buyer beware!
03-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Alligators.

Seriously, though, it's just Florida state law that's the problem. Florida regards extended warranty coverage as a form of insurance, and hence they regulate it as insurance.

For a manufacturer, having standard warranty coverage generally just requires an internal accounting maneuver to "hold back" some revenue to cover claims that might arise. But offering extended coverage -- in Florida at least -- means that a company would need to organize and register as an insurance company, make itself subject to Florida insurance laws and regulations, and do quite a bit more expensive and burdensome paperwork.

So rather than do that, they just void the coverage in Florida. Pentax is far from the only company that does this. Buyer beware!
You are right, spoke to a camera sales person about this and he explained that in FL they need an underwriter for extended warranties.