Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #46

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
OK. we have another challenger. Never mind my aggression. It is not like I am driving you over with a bus. You also have a K-5, don't you?? Are you up for a challenge too? If you are, along with Creampuff, willing to put up your K-5 for charity, this is what I will do for you.

1) Post a picture of 645D taken today (by my K-7, lol) on this thread. You can request any particular part of 645D that you would like to see. I suggest a picture of an area that is not found on the internet.

2) I will post a picture of the warranty card for the stupid camera.

3) I will post a picture of the receipt from Ace Photo. You have probably noticed perhaps that at B and H, and adorama, where I bought my lens BTW, they are out of stock. I will cross out the name and address for obvious reasons.

If you agree to terms, and if I reproduce all three, then you need to put your camera up for sale at market place here for $1,300. Have the buyer make a donation of that amount to Red Cross. You send the camera when you receive the receipt in the mail.

Well, what if I cannot reproduce them??? That is not possible. I am looking at all three items right now in front of me.

It is all for charity, and I am not making by any means fun of the situation there. I am very serious. Let's see you put the money where your mouth is, then you dish out for a good cause.

Now you're just being a dick.

Later.

03-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do wonder though what percentage of existing K-7 owners have upgraded to K-5 so far.
I have a pair of K20Ds and I bought a used K-7. I could see that the design was an improvement (except that I missed the SR switch and found the media card door a step backward) but that didn't matter much to me--I had gotten used to the K20D feel. I was disappointed that there was no appreciable difference in performance. The performance of the K-5, OTOH, is significantly improved in ways that are important to my shooting style and needs. It hasn't made me a better photographer but it has improved my photographs. I gave the K-7 to my son for Christmas and just bought my second K-5.
03-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mods, can a brother get a thread closed? I am the OP and this Fontan has spoiled what had been a nice discussion. Enough already?
03-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I have a pair of K20Ds and I bought a used K-7. I could see that the design was an improvement (except that I missed the SR switch and found the media card door a step backward) but that didn't matter much to me--I had gotten used to the K20D feel. I was disappointed that there was no appreciable difference in performance. The performance of the K-5, OTOH, is significantly improved in ways that are important to my shooting style and needs. It hasn't made me a better photographer but it has improved my photographs. I gave the K-7 to my son for Christmas and just bought my second K-5.
Here you have a valid argument, and to that I will say that point is well taken. What certain characteristics of the camera can mean to a certain shooting style I perfectly understand. Not that you are obligated, but I would have liked to known what the style and needs were, so that I can for one consider it and two learn from it. For example, if you said that you do macro, I can kind of see why one would prefer K-5 over 7. A bit more punchy, or with a pop. Or, Fashion shoot, where models get professionally done make-up and wear vibrant clothing, K5 may be much more suited for that than K-7, although I think K-7 can hold its own here because of artificial lighting. People here talk about wedding a lot here. Sure, better high ISO will help there, but probably more during receptions. But if a photographer is to shoot more "official" style of portraiture with controlled lightings, I am sure that while K-5 is capable, what I do say is that if you do that for a living you ought to be shooting medium format, or at least seriously consider it before buying another K-5 for example. No, it does not have to be digital, films are fine. I am not saying that you are any of the above, but these are thoughts that I put into when critically looking at a camera, even if it is something like 645D.

Do you have a printer? The reason I mention is that the prints I have made of K-5 outputs some were a bit more harsh on glossy papers for my taste. This also reminded me of K20D. Especially I noticed that on K-5/FA31 combination. The sharpness and clarity was a bit over the top. This is of course ok, but these characteristics are very difficult to tone down with pp without losing details. At least for me it is. I don't think that this has to do with my unfamiliarity of K-5 files in particular.

Last edited by Fontan; 03-24-2011 at 03:16 PM.
03-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
Now you're just being a dick.

Later.

So, does that mean NO?

Well, as expected. But that is alright.
03-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Mods, can a brother get a thread closed? I am the OP and this Fontan has spoiled what had been a nice discussion. Enough already?
Don't worry, they will soon.

Sorry I hijacked it. My apology. But I think there is plenty to learn from. Can I offer my 645d box (without the camera, of course) as a sign of apology??

You have very nice lenses. I love Zeiss lenses. I also have 28/2 Distagon T*. To me this is better than FA31ltd, but I may get crucified around here for that too perhaps.

Last edited by Fontan; 03-24-2011 at 03:11 PM.
03-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You have very nice lenses. I love Zeiss lenses.

Thank you. Please go away now.

03-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you. Please go away now.
Maybe it was the lenses.
03-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
perhaps fontan, aka skid roper (superb moniker), as a palm reader, has a greater metaphysical insight into the k-5 that the rest of us plebeian pentaxians don't have......
whilst the k-5 will not turn a sow's ear into a silk purse, it is an improved 'tool', and it has and will allow it's owners the ability to capture images perhaps not up to the challenge by previous models.
those k-5 detractors, who have not 'test driven' it, have opinions which in and of themselves, are hollow and without substance.... and need to be taken with a grain of salt...and humor.....
dave m.
.. can't we all just get along ????

I missed this one. Sorry. I liked it. This was very good!! But I do claim with some substance. I do.
03-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #55

Photos: Albums
My K-5 *continues* to make me better "shooter". Photographer is a big word for a monkey like me, but the camera is

GREAT!

True.

Please don't try to critisize K-5 in any way because you are so boring...I have to say you are totaly nuts. stains and whatever nonsense... please...

The only complaint about the K-5 I have comes from my middle finger )) . well... I have done 30 000 shots on the counter in 4 months and the camera starts to hurt my hand - the third and fourth fingers . The grip could be even better in my opinion.

To all forum members :
Don't try to compare a K-5 to any other camera if it is not for the purpose to show it is the *far* better one.

)
03-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not that you are obligated, but I would have liked to known what the style and needs were
No weddings (you couldn't pay me enough! ;~): I'm just an enthusiast. Some of the kinds of shooting where my results with the K-5 are superior to those with the K20D or K-7 include candid (flashless) indoor portraits, birds under forest canopy and basketball in dim gyms.
03-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Even though I have owned a K-5 for less than 2 months, two immediate things that stand out for me over previous Pentax models are:

1. A usable continuous shooting mode - 20-25 raw shots at 7fps - I've been able to capture so many things that were difficult or impossible on the K10D.

2. TAv mode coupled with usable high ISO - Very useful for street photography - set to desired aperture and speed, and let the camera figure out the ISO.

Have either of those made me a better photographer? Not really (unless my K-5 have been sneaking out when I'm asleep and taking pictures on my behalf) - but it has allowed me to take shots that I've never taken before.
03-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #58

So, does that mean NO?

Well, as expected. But that is alright.
Another troll added to the ignore list.
03-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fontan has been banned from this thread. He cannot post in it or even view it. (I guess he could view it if he wasn't logged in). Awesome new feature. Thanks Adam!
03-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #60

Fontan has been banned from this thread. He cannot post in it or even view it. (I guess he could view it if he wasn't logged in). Awesome new feature. Thanks Adam!
Sweet! I'm sorry he totally ruined what was one of the few positive threads relating to the K-5. But we can recover!