Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #1

Pentax Canada - Stain on Sensor

I finally got around to checking if there was a stain on my sensor. Unfortunatly, I found a bunch. After talking to Pentax Canada, They asked me to send it in. Do they fix the sensor in the body or send out a new body? And, my other questions is how long will it take to get the camera back in my hands?

They gave me the Pentax UPS Code so I don't have to pay for shipping.

03-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was recently told 4 wks turn around.
03-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
4 Weeks... Ouch. I just got off the phone with London Drugs here in Edmonton and they told me that wouldn't give me a replacement. I should have bought camera from Mcbains, But the sales guy said they would match anything Mcbains would do.

London Drugs just lost a customer.
03-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Won't they give you your money back?

03-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #5

From what I understand, McBain will accept return or exchange within 7 days. Beyond that they would send it in for repair under warranty. If the manufacture can't fix it then they would give you a new one. I believe London Drug has the same policy so maybe your K-5 was purchased more than 7 days ago? I bought my gears at both place and so far so good.

Regards,

Peter
03-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax Canada did replace my K5 which had stain on the sensor. I had bought it from Lozeau (Montréal). The warranty delay had been reset. It took about 3 weeks to receive the new one. Lozeau told me first that Pentax would clean the sensor but I received a new one.
GB
03-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is the pertinent text from the London Drugs Purchase Protection Plan:

"1. What is Covered:

In the event of product failure during normal usage, we will provide labour and repair or replace of parts as necessary to maintain the product in operating condition during the term of this Plan. It shall be at our option whether parts will be replaced or repaired. We also reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to pay you the actual cash value of the product, rather than repair it. In any event, our limit of liability under a Repair Option contract is the actual cash value of the product in operating condition at the time of the claim. We determine actual cash value based on factors such as the cost of replacement less any depreciation. Depreciation is assessed based on the condition of the product immediately before the damage occurred and the normal product life expectancy. Once an actual cash value settlement is paid your Plan and this contract is terminated. The period of your Plan coverage shall begin once the manufacturer’s labour warranty or any other applicable extended labour warranty period ends. If the manufacturer provides a general labour warranty for a longer time for certain specified items, the period of Plan coverage begins once the general labour warranty has expired. There is no limit on the number of repairs that can be performed on the product during Plan coverage. Service will be provided at one of our authorized service centers or any other locations approved by us from time to time, unless In-Home or On-Site Service is specified."

Jack

03-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Babbs Quote
I should have bought camera from Mcbains, But the sales guy said they would match anything Mcbains would do. London Drugs just lost a customer.
While I'd always recommend buying from McBain over London Drugs, don't judge them just on this issue alone.

McBain will tell you the same thing - I know because I contacted them for mine (the stain showed up last week.) Renee (manager at Kingsway, where I bought mine) even contacted their Pentax rep for me to see if they could exchange it, and was told no, that I'd have to send it in.

I decided to keep it until after the perigee moon this weekend
03-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Karl Stevens Quote
While I'd always recommend buying from McBain over London Drugs, don't judge them just on this issue alone.

McBain will tell you the same thing - I know because I contacted them for mine (the stain showed up last week.) Renee (manager at Kingsway, where I bought mine) even contacted their Pentax rep for me to see if they could exchange it, and was told no, that I'd have to send it in.

I decided to keep it until after the perigee moon this weekend
Henry's photo will return/exchange your camera within 30 days of purchase.
Also, if you buy the extended warranty, they will return/exchange it for 90 days.
They also price match, and did so for Lozeau, which was free shipping, so essentially, I got a K-5 for $1440 CA

FRT. I will never buy a camera from either: London Drugs or Futureshop ever again for these reasons and others.
03-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #10

Back to your original question. I sent mine in at the end of Janurary and they replaced the sensor. It took about a month to get the camera back. The internal serial number changed, but the body was the same. They also updated the firmware from 1.01 to 1.02.
03-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Henry's photo will return/exchange your camera within 30 days of purchase.
Interesting - their website says 14 days for return and 21 days for exchange - but perhaps that's for internet purchases only? McBain's return/exchange policy is 7 days for return and 14 days for exchange, so Henry's is a little better.
03-22-2011, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by DJB77 Quote
Back to your original question. I sent mine in at the end of Janurary and they replaced the sensor. It took about a month to get the camera back. The internal serial number changed, but the body was the same. They also updated the firmware from 1.01 to 1.02.
DJB77, how do you check the "internal" serial number?

I had my K5 repaired by Pentax Canada recently, they had told me 4 weeks turn-around time, it took exactly that. There was confusion at one point as to wether my cam had been returned to Japan for repair but it appeared at the end Pentax Canada did the repair themselves (I'm glad it did not go to Japan...). The Sensor Assembly was replaced as per the repair bill. One thing curious though, I had a small scratch on the back screen which is gone now. Also, the two little leather tabs that protect the strap loops were replaced as well... curious... The body serial number is the same (3858xxx) but I now suspect they may have just slapped the old bottom cap on a new body (or a refurb???). Hence my curiosity about checking the "internal" s/n...

Gene

Last edited by xGene; 03-22-2011 at 05:14 AM. Reason: added comment re. refurb
03-22-2011, 06:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photome will let you check the internal serial I believe
03-22-2011, 06:43 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought that the new firmware fixed the stain problems.
03-22-2011, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

I purchased my camera through London Drugs and determined that it had a small stain on the sensor. Rather than exchanging the camera for another (London Drugs stock all shared sequential serial numbers) I opted for London Drugs to send the camera to Pentax Canada. It took four weeks for the turn around and the camera came back with replaced sensor. The new sensor seems to be fine.

In response to the members comment re stain problems being fixed by firmware the answer is no. The stain is an actual defect on the sensor. Think of a scratch across a windshield of your car. No amount of glass cleaner will fix it., only the replacement of the windshield will fix the problem.