Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #1

Is there an update coming?

I am ready to buy a K-5--but I hesitate since every time I buy a new camera, there is soon an updated model. Anyone heard/know of an update to the K5 or a full-frame model coming soon?

03-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Based on Pentax's product development scheduled, I'd say we won't be seeing a K-5 replacement for another 1.5 yrs
03-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Update will probably come in January/February of 2012. My guess is that it will include an update of the body. Probably add video functionality. Minimal change in sensor, unless Sony has some magic up their sleeve.
03-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
be a while off yet ole son..

03-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by aperture_09 Quote
I am ready to buy a K-5--but I hesitate since every time I buy a new camera, there is soon an updated model. Anyone heard/know of an update to the K5 or a full-frame model coming soon?
Not to sound rude but I think you have a better chance of catching a fart in a hurricane than ever seeing a full 35mm frame digital from Pentax. Even their 645d isn't full frame (and it's a $10k camera). As for updates in general, the others are correct. The release schedule seems to be every 1.5 years. While you wait, think of all the great photos you are missing. This K5 forum has vetted the information you need to make your decision and what to watch out for so, go ahead and join the club.

03-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Thats an interesting question. With all the damage done from the earthquate to Japan and cameramakers, I predict that frequent model changes will be a thing of the past for the next 5 years. It isn't just damage to the camera makers (apparently Nikon FF factory was heavily damaged and Canon was hurt, Pentax less so) but part suppliers probably also suffered some damage. Plus, between the nuclear issue and grid damage, there will be an unknown impact to the process.

This event isn't something that will be over with during the American corporate news cycle of 2 weeks. It will impact the camera culture in unpredictable ways.
03-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Now is the optimal time to buy a K-5. It is right at the beginning of it's cycle, and the initial teething problems have been sorted out. Just look at the vast majority of posts describing the excitement and approval of new owners (especially now after the release of firmware update 1.03). Every day you wait is another day you are depriving yourself of the pleasure of using a great camera.
03-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't see a new top end model for at least another 18 months, but it really wouldn't matter much to me. After less than a week of shooting with the K5 I can't see how I could possibly "outgrow"this camera in that period of time, or even much longer. Meanwhile, I am enjoying getting shots I never thought possible before, and at a speed and accuracy that is still amazing me with each shot I take.

Waiting, now that the camera is free of the problems initially encountered, is just punishing yourself. I was already enthusiastic about photography, but the K5 has sparked a fire like nothing else for me. Once you turn it on and take a shot....you're hooked.
Best Regards!

03-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Not to sound rude but I think you have a better chance of catching a fart in a hurricane than ever seeing a full 35mm frame digital from Pentax.
A FF camera is slightly more likely I'm interested to see what sony brings to the table regarding FF sensors.

BTW, I'm surprised that there is no big "What to expect in the K-5 replacement?" thread yet.
03-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I don't see a new top end model for at least another 18 months, but it really wouldn't matter much to me. After less than a week of shooting with the K5 I can't see how I could possibly "outgrow"this camera in that period of time, or even much longer. Meanwhile, I am enjoying getting shots I never thought possible before, and at a speed and accuracy that is still amazing me with each shot I take.

Waiting, now that the camera is free of the problems initially encountered, is just punishing yourself. I was already enthusiastic about photography, but the K5 has sparked a fire like nothing else for me. Once you turn it on and take a shot....you're hooked.
Best Regards!
I could - I'd love an ISO51200 performance that's as noise free as 6400 is on the K-5. but then I do a lot of low light shooting. Or shooting where I need fast shutter speeds AND tiny apertures.

Still loving my K-5 though ( despitre it's FF problems )
03-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
A FF camera is slightly more likely I'm interested to see what sony brings to the table regarding FF sensors.
That is why I said Think.. I have no clue of what HoyaTax or Sony have up their sleeves and other than my previous comment, wouldn't presume to speculate. I also once said the 645D would never come to pass. I was all excited when I saw I was wrong, until I saw the price tag. However, I think, again, Think, that if Pentax had any intention of a full 35mm frame digital, they would not have basically killed (out of production) their entire FF lens line (speculation on my part).

QuoteQuote:

BTW, I'm surprised that there is no big "What to expect in the K-5 replacement?" thread yet.
This may turn into that very thread

03-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input. BTW, how can you tell there is a sensor stain problem--by the way the images look? And where is best place to buy the newest K-5s?
03-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the input. BTW, how can you tell there is a sensor stain problem--by the way the images look? And where is best place to buy the newest K-5s?
Take photos at f/16 and f/22 of a featureless white or near-white wall. Look at the images full-size on your monitor. Stains will be visible. Probably any of the major retailers should have stain-free K5's by this point.
03-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you.
03-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Thats an interesting question. With all the damage done from the earthquate to Japan and cameramakers, I predict that frequent model changes will be a thing of the past for the next 5 years. It isn't just damage to the camera makers (apparently Nikon FF factory was heavily damaged and Canon was hurt, Pentax less so) but part suppliers probably also suffered some damage. Plus, between the nuclear issue and grid damage, there will be an unknown impact to the process.

This event isn't something that will be over with during the American corporate news cycle of 2 weeks. It will impact the camera culture in unpredictable ways.

I think right now is the best time to Grab a K5....I speculate that the supply of new bodies form Japan may very well dry up due to the above problem...and if you wanted one..it would prove difficult in obtaining a camera through the normal supply chain