Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2011, 01:59 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
To make a complaint about the K-5 Silver. I have both K-5 Silver and K-5 Black (or is it Regular?) and using them side by side. When I'm out on a sunny day, looking and reviewing pictures on the backscreen is not easy. With K-5 Black you can see pictures, but the backscreen of the K-5 Silver works almost as a perfect mirror (it's like an iPad screen) and viewing a picture is next to impossible.

So for me, the next screen on the camera should be much better, but not the way K-5 Silver turned in.

06-13-2011, 04:55 AM   #77
Veteran Member

I got myself a K-5 Limited Silver too. What a pleasure!

I'll have some images for the forum soon. Some side remarks:

• The AF calibration seems to be spot on out of the box.
  • I like the deeper grip.
  • It is true that the screen reflects more. But that seems to be a consequence of the reinforced glass the K-5 Limited is using. Being somebody who managed to crack a K-7 rear screen I do appreciate the extra level of protection.
  • A K-5 Silver + FA31 Silver combo definitely makes Canikon shooters look envious. An "almost looks like a Leica M" is a common remark
  • The 1500 pieces made by Pentax are sold out, at least in Europe. So, one has to look for unsold stock at dealers. Here is one left: Sauter München
  • The remaining Silver seem to sell at list price
06-13-2011, 06:26 AM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I got myself a K-5 Limited Silver too. What a pleasure!
Wow! Do you need a good home for your black K-5?

Are you going to look at the low-light AF behaviour of the Silver version? Can't shake off the feeling that there might be hardware differences causing some of the various AF phenomena observed. Maybe not.

I could understand if you just enjoyed the Silver K-5. But if you couldn't resist to do a quick, small, low-light AF test, it would be great if you could share the result.
06-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #79
Pentaxian

• The AF calibration seems to be spot on out of the box.
  • It is true that the screen reflects more. But that seems to be a consequence of the reinforced glass the K-5 Limited is using.
  • A K-5 Silver + FA31 Silver combo definitely makes Canikon shooters look envious. An "almost looks like a Leica M" is a common remark
  • The 1500 pieces made by Pentax are sold out, at least in Europe. So, one has to look for unsold stock at dealers. Here is one left: Sauter München
Congrats on that new baby. I tested my DA*55 yesterday on the Silver, since it wasn't on it before and scaring the hell out of me because it needs an AF correction of +10, but it is crisp sharp then.

Well a 31mm is on my wishlist, only funding it is a bit off a stretch at the time. Just bought 60-250 and now it's is waiting for some new penny's.

In The Netherlands you can still find one in my favorite store:
Pentax K-5 body (zilver) limited edition

06-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
In The Netherlands you can still find one in my favorite store:
Pentax K-5 body (zilver) limited edition
That's a good deal. The silver ones are getting rare and it may become increasingly difficult to find good deals.
06-14-2011, 07:56 AM   #81

I did an AF test using my Silver K-5 (firmware v1.03) and 9 of my AF lenses (8 primes + 1 zoom). I decided to calibrate for daylight(shade) and then compare focus under low tungsten (indoor lamp).

I used the AF calibration chart created by Yvon Bourque from pentaxdslrs.blogspot.com which I shot, tripod mounted, from approx 1m.

I tested all 9 lenses from fastest to slowest in daylight, but ran out of time in the evening and so only checked the first 4 under tungsten. I determined the following adjustments:

daylight tungsten
FA* 85/1.4 +8 +2
FA 50/1.7 +4 0
FA 31/1.8 +8 +7
FA 77/1.8 +8 +8
DA 70/2.4 +6
90/2.5 macro +2 (Tamron SP)
DA 40/2.8 +2
50/2.8 macro 0 (Sigma EX)
17-70/2.8-4 0 (Sigma HSM OS)

Not a large enough sample to be conclusive, but the rough trend seemed to be that my lenses faster than f2.8 all back focussed in daylight, with the faster being the most affected.

Under low tungsten, the focus moved forwards for the fastest lenses.

The upshot is that I have left my FA*85 and FA50 (2 fastest AF lenses) on the tungsten setting for indoor use and the others on the daylight setting.

Also, when manually focussing my A 50/1.2 I get a lot of front focus when the image appears in focus in the viewfinder and AF confirmation blinks. However, I get perfect focus using live view.

I don't know if any of this is consistent with others experiences?
06-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #82
Forum Member

It's a shame these are a "limited edition"...

Why can't they simply make this a normal model...? It's sooooo much more beautiful, and it would make the K-5 stand out from the zillion other "black blob" DSLRs that are around these days.

Maybe for the K-3?
06-15-2011, 05:50 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kennod Quote
I tested all 9 lenses from fastest to slowest in daylight, but ran out of time in the evening and so only checked the first 4 under tungsten. I determined the following adjustments:

daylight tungsten
FA* 85/1.4 +8 +2
FA 50/1.7 +4 0
FA 31/1.8 +8 +7
FA 77/1.8 +8 +8
DA 70/2.4 +6
90/2.5 macro +2 (Tamron SP)
DA 40/2.8 +2
50/2.8 macro 0 (Sigma EX)
17-70/2.8-4 0 (Sigma HSM OS)

Not a large enough sample to be conclusive, but the rough trend seemed to be that my lenses faster than f2.8 all back focussed in daylight, with the faster being the most affected.

The upshot is that I have left my FA*85 and FA50 (2 fastest AF lenses) on the tungsten setting for indoor use and the others on the daylight setting.

Also, when manually focussing my A 50/1.2 I get a lot of front focus when the image appears in focus in the viewfinder and AF confirmation blinks. However, I get perfect focus using live view.
Hi,

I attach a chart of measured blur (~defocus) vs. AF calibration for the DA70 Ltd. at f/2.4. For two different samples of the K-5 camera and at daylight.

As one can see, one sample needs about -10 while the other about -1.5. However, within an interval [-6, +2], I would have a hard time to prefer any value above another, using visual inspection. The performance is almost the same. Therefore, I don't expect the Yvon Bourque method to be more accurate than +/-4 and it may just be capable to find any of the five values {-10,-5,0,+5,+10}. Of course, roughly locating the unsharp regions may help. But with the exception of the FA85/1.4, I am not sure if your results are significant.

As for the FA85/1.4 (and FA50/1.7 a bit too), another factor comes into play, spherical aberration: The focus plane depends on the aperture. The phase AF uses about f/6 to measure focus, the matte screen open aperture and LV yet another aperture. The firmware normally handles the focus shift due to aperture changes. But it makes it difficult to draw conclusions from AF adjustment data for such lenses.

Last edited by falconeye; 06-23-2012 at 03:11 AM.
06-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #84

Thanks Falconeye. I understand your point about the accuracy of the simple calibration I performed. The explanations and test data you provide are really helpful but certainly beyond me, and possibly the majority of casual shooters to perform calibration to that level of accuracy and sophistication.

My post was in response to a question from Class A, asking whether anyone had tested low light AF behaviour with a Silver K-5. Presumably he's wondering if there have been any changes/improvements made over the standard model. Seems unlikely this is the case.

It would be interesting to repeat your test using two different K-5 Silver samples and see if there is similar variation.

Anyone got TWO Silver K-5s?
06-15-2011, 07:25 AM   #85
Pentaxian

daylight tungsten
FA* 85/1.4 +8 +2
FA 50/1.7 +4 0
FA 31/1.8 +8 +7
FA 77/1.8 +8 +8

As one can see, one sample needs about -10 while the other about -1.5. However, within an interval [-6, +2], I would have a hard time to prefer any value above another, using visual inspection. The performance is almost the same.

But with the exception of the FA85/1.4, I am not sure if your results are significant.

As for the FA85/1.4 (and FA50/1.7 a bit too), another factor comes into play, spherical aberration: The focus plane depends on the aperture. The phase AF uses about f/6 to measure focus, the matte screen open aperture and LV yet another aperture. The firmware normally handles the focus shift due to aperture changes. But it makes it difficult to draw conclusions from AF adjustment data for such lenses.
My FA*85mm is a real focusshift champion. For daylight it is set to a +3 correction, wich holds true for f2 but not totaly for f1,4 (wich I almost never use). In tungsten I set it to -3, so that is beyond you expected limit to see the difference.

I use a lenscalibrationtool from Spider wich works fine. Do the test at -10 -5 0 5 10 and then again between the numbers I'm expecting to end up. So say from 0 to 5 in steps of 1 and again for a fine tuning the last two numbers again. For DA*55 and FA*85 I did the test with f2 to get the right number on a preferred aperture.

Anyone got TWO Silver K-5s?
Are you serious? To be honest I did give it a thought on selling my K-5 Regular to get a second K-5 Silver, but that was before the price was presented. To much money.
06-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #86
Pentaxian

fyi Penfor in the market place has both a new sliver K5 and limited 21 for sale coming from Singapore...for those still looking and havent seen the post as yet.
06-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #87
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To make a complaint about the K-5 Silver. I have both K-5 Silver and K-5 Black (or is it Regular?) and using them side by side. When I'm out on a sunny day, looking and reviewing pictures on the backscreen is not easy. With K-5 Black you can see pictures, but the backscreen of the K-5 Silver works almost as a perfect mirror (it's like an iPad screen) and viewing a picture is next to impossible.

So for me, the next screen on the camera should be much better, but not the way K-5 Silver turned in.
And you complain about the lack of plastic lenses. Hysterical
06-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
And you complain about the lack of plastic lenses. :Hysterical:
Well my money has come to an end. I'm a hi-end user, since I also requested a DA*135-270mm/f2.8 lens
06-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #89
Pentaxian

We had a little minimeet in Belgium and had some nice things to try out on my camera.

I only had to leave when going home. Also had some nice rare lenses. Tilt (or is it shift) K 28mm/f3.5 shift was one of them.
06-25-2011, 10:10 PM   #90
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well my money has come to an end. I'm a hi-end user, since I also requested a DA*135-270mm/f2.8 lens
Hey, man, a silver K-5 and a black K-5 and my poor old soul is making do with a K20d & K200d.