Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-22-2011, 05:22 AM   #1

Any way to change default autobracketing steps?

I'm new to the K-5 and one of the things I want to do is HDR but with RAW files. I want to use larger steps than the default 1/3 step. I'd like to be able to set the default to something higher. e.g. 1 2/3 steps but whenever I return to the autobracketing menu it resets to the default of 1/3 step. Am I doing something wrong or is there a good workaround?

03-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You do this through the drive mode. Selected by the button right above the OK button. Move to the right until you have selected exposure bracketing. Front dial controls how many images, back dial the exposure steps. It will stay there until you change it. Can program the RAW Fx button to select this.
03-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't have the k-5... perhaps the k-7 which I have is very similar to it. I think you have to set it in the memory tab (from the first folder) to save your EV setting.
03-22-2011, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

You can also set the Raw/Fx button to instantly put you into the bracketing mode.

In the Settings menu (the one with the red camera) go to page 5 and scroll down to Button Customisation select the RAW/Fx Button press the right joggle key and Exposure Bracketing is the second on the list, select it and press OK.

Now whenever you press the RAW/Fx button you will immediately be in bracketing mode and the camera will take bracketed shots as set. Unlike earlier Pentax cameras coming out of this mode means having to press the RAW/Fx button again and and pressing the left joggle key 4 times to highlight single frame then the OK button, it was better on the K10D.

You can further enhance bracketing by going into the Custom Menu Page 2 and scrolling down to Item 9 One Push Bracketing, right joggle key and turning the function On. Now you can hold down the shutter release and your K5 will rattle off the bracketed frames, instead of having to press the shutter for every frame.

A further enhancement is to set the bracketed shot order to item 3 (+ 0 -), this is the item 8 above One Push Bracketing in the same Page 2 of the Custom Menu. This will make the camera take the longest exposure first which can help with hand holding.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisJ; 03-22-2011 at 07:18 AM. Reason: spelling
03-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
You can also set the Raw/Fx button to instantly put you into the bracketing mode.

In the Settings menu (the one with the red camera) go to page 5 and scroll down to Button Customisation select the RAW/Fx Button press the right joggle key and Exposure Bracketing is the second on the list, select it and press OK.

Now whenever you press the RAW/Fx button you will immediately be in bracketing mode and the camera will take bracketed shots as set. Unlike earlier Pentax cameras coming out of this mode means having to press the RAW/Fx button again and and pressing the left joggle key 4 times to highlight single frame then the OK button, it was better on the K10D.

You can further enhance bracketing by going into the Custom Menu Page 2 and scrolling down to Item 9 One Push Bracketing, right joggle key and turning the function On. Now you can hold down the shutter release and your K5 will rattle off the bracketed frames, instead of having to press the shutter for every frame.

A further enhancement is to set the bracketed shot order to item 3 (+ 0 -), this is the item 8 above One Push Bracketing in the same Page 2 of the Custom Menu. This will make the camera take the longest exposure first which can help with hand holding.

Chris

Yes this is a great feature that I have set on mine
03-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #6

Original Poster
Now it seems to be working

For some reason, last night, when I would set it to 1.7 steps, it would work until I changed drive mode back to single for a while. When I returned to autobracketing, it was back to 0.3 steps. Today that seems to be working. Maybe something glitchy in the firmware? TodayI started to shoot (in normal single shot mode) and I couldn't get preview to work. Then nothing at all would display on the screen. Powering off and on didn't help. I finally tried removing and reinserting the battery and everything was back to normal.

Next I'll have to decide which function to assign to the fx button: Autobracket or Level. They're both very useful for 360 HDR panoramas which I am just now starting to experiment with.

Thanks for the help
03-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #7

Original Poster
And now it's not

Now it's forgetting the settings when I turn the camera off and back on again.