Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Magic Lantern Guide for the K5

Hi all,

I have moved up from the K10d to the K5. When I got the K10d I also got the Magic Lantern Guide and found it was a great help and reference book.

Does anyone know if they are going to publish one for the K5?

Or, is the Magic Lantern Guide for the K7 have most of what I need?

Thanks,
Rob

03-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I was looking for the magic lantern for the k5 too, but I don't think they have one out yet.
03-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I just dropped a note to Sterling Publishing asking for a Guide to the K-5.

If you're serious about buying a copy, please let them know.
03-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote

If you're serious about buying a copy, please let them know.
doing it right now!

03-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Yvon Bourques K-5 guide book is available for download here:

Pentax e-books
03-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #6

Original Poster
I just sent an e-mail also.

But if the answer is “not for a while” would you consider getting the K7 guide to tide you over till a new K5 guide comes out?

My thought is “yes” if the information is applicable and for the most part helpful.

I’m hoping we can get some feed back from those who have any knowledge on the K5, K7, and the guide for the K7.

Rob
03-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yvon,
Thanks,
I did not know there were other options.
I just downloaded the free sample.
03-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Just to clarify, I'm not Yvon, and I have no connection to him. I just provided the link to his site. I find his guides quite informative, although there are parts where I would like to see more discussion and guidance on why you might want to choose a particular function or setting.

03-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I really like his book, but I wish it could display correctly on an ipad. It would be a great way to read it, unfortunately many of the pictures and diagrams do not display for some reason. I sent him an email about it.
03-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul G Quote
I really like his book, but I wish it could display correctly on an ipad. It would be a great way to read it, unfortunately many of the pictures and diagrams do not display for some reason. I sent him an email about it.
I had the same problem. If you have a Mac, you can use Preview to "Save As..." format PDF, but with Quartz Filter set to "Create Generic PDFX-3 Document. Then sync this new doc to your iPad.
03-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by donk Quote
I had the same problem. If you have a Mac, you can use Preview to "Save As..." format PDF, but with Quartz Filter set to "Create Generic PDFX-3 Document. Then sync this new doc to your iPad.
Thanks for the tip. I don't have a Mac, but I'll have to try playing around a bit with it in windows.
03-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
Forum Member

I emailed Yvon about the ipad compatible file and he responded promptly that he has a solution and would email or post it. Great service.
03-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
I just took a class from the author of the Magic Lantern K7 book, Peter Burian. He said no k5 book is in the works. I personally have found my ML Guide to the K7 to be VERY accurate, and closely applicable, to my K5.

I also have Bourque's guide on the K5.
03-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Riebs Quote
I just took a class from the author of the Magic Lantern K7 book, Peter Burian. He said no k5 book is in the works. I personally have found my ML Guide to the K7 to be VERY accurate, and closely applicable, to my K5.

I also have Bourque's guide on the K5.
Thanks for the update.

Mr. Burian's comment is unfortunate. Given that the two bodies are so close, the K-5 book would require minimal rewrite. Perhaps the publishers think that the books would be close enough that the sales wouldn't justify the publishing costs.

I find it hard to believe, though, that excited new K-5 owners would flock to the K-7 book. The frugal would, perhaps, but the truly frugal don't buy what amounts to no more than a better manual anyway.

Some of us are not that frugal and have several Magic Lantern guides!

Therefore .... emails to Sterling urging them to publish the K-5 Guide are even more important. Write on!
03-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well, I got a response from Sterling today and they said they currently have no plans to publish a book on the K-5. I was very sad to hear this. I do not plan on getting the K-7 book. I will instead just by the other guide suggested on here. Maybe if Sterling hears from enough of us they will change their minds and update the k-7 book to the k-5.