Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K5 Silver not available in Canada?

I asked the local shop that I usually buy my cameras from how much a K5 Silver would be and they indicated they would need to look into it. I gave them my email address and this is what I received back;

"I have contacted Pentax Canada and they have informed me that the silver
K5 is not being brought into the county by them. Black is the only
colour we are able to get."

Is this true? I find this ironic since you see Pentax cameras commonly here, at least on the west coast.

03-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AFAIK it's US-only at the moment. I think B&H does do international shipping, but don't give in to CBA

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-22-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
AFAIK it's US-only at the moment. I think B&H does do international shipping, but don't give in to CBA
I would but duty would be a killer. Probably a good thing...
03-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There is no Duty on camera gear.. just good old taxes!

http://www.photoprice.ca/ has got any info you need on buying from the states.

03-23-2011, 12:06 AM   #5

You can order from Pentax web store if you are prepared to wait for more than two weeks to receive the camera from the time that you order. I am in BC and ordered mine on march 10 and have yet to receive it .
03-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Chex and sgrewal. Private sales from the US that use USPS seem fine but I wouldn't buy something that has to use UPS or Fedex for shipping again. I bought a Pentax telescope out of Chicago and Fedex has a "Disbursement fee", whatever that is, and they have a "Mandatory H.S Fee" (I wonder what H.S. is), and a "Brokerage Fee". They then put the telescope in their warehouse as I needed "Power of attorney" for importing. There were so many fees that I had to pay tax on the fees for a whopping $441.38 total before they would release the telescope.

I'll check the Pentax webstore to see how they ship.... I'd be curious to hear how you make out sgrewal....hope you have an easier time than I did.
03-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The Pentax Webstore doesn't ship to addresses outside of the U.S. I suspect Pentax doesn't want Pentax Imaging, which to the untrained eye looks like a branch of the corporation, competing with Canadian retailers.

If you order from a U.S. retailer (other than Pentax Webstore) ask them to ship it by U.S. Postal Service. Canada Post will charge only the sales tax, which you would have to pay from a B.C. retailer anyway. The courier companies (UPS, FedEx) charge a brokerage fee.

03-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I don't know how companies like that stay in business. The $441 was just the fees part, with shipping costs added to it. I paid more to Fedex in fees than I did in tax to the government.

Anyways, thanks for the responses....
03-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #9

It took Pentax Webstore EIGHT days to ship my order and when they finally did, they did so by UPS Ground. As has been stated by Pete_tarmigan, they will not ship outside of the US, so I had to pre-arrange to have it delivered to an address in Blaine, WA. It's going to be two weeks tomorrow since I ordered it and it has yet to be delivered. After all this waiting, I sure hope I do not end up with the "Mandatory H.S Fee" and shipping costs in addition to the taxes.
03-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter

use B&H, pick purolator shipping it tells you your price to the door including any applicable duties, taxes or fees. works great
03-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You should be good shipping to a US address. UPS also charges a "brokerage fee" for cross border shipping, which you've avoided.

FYI....not sure if you checked into it, but there is an international warranty available for a small fee. I purchased one when I had a Silver K7.
03-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
use B&H, pick purolator shipping it tells you your price to the door including any applicable duties, taxes or fees. works great
Also the the shipping price is very reasonable and I had my order in about a week.
03-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #13

Thank you, DJN77, smc and Deimos for all the tips. Certainly useful for the future. Not dealing with the Pentax Web Store any more for sure ! I informed them that I was a Canadian resident but in spite of that no one there mentioned anything to me about the international warranty. I'm not sure if I could purchase it now.
03-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Thanks Chex and sgrewal. Private sales from the US that use USPS seem fine but I wouldn't buy something that has to use UPS or Fedex for shipping again. I bought a Pentax telescope out of Chicago and Fedex has a "Disbursement fee", whatever that is, and they have a "Mandatory H.S Fee" (I wonder what H.S. is), and a "Brokerage Fee". They then put the telescope in their warehouse as I needed "Power of attorney" for importing. There were so many fees that I had to pay tax on the fees for a whopping $441.38 total before they would release the telescope.

I'll check the Pentax webstore to see how they ship.... I'd be curious to hear how you make out sgrewal....hope you have an easier time than I did.
You can get B&H to ship via priority- it's probably the safest (and cheapest, incidentally) way to get the camera to you!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I think Purolator is the best option since you know exactly how much before the item is shipped; the next best would be via USPS priority if you purchase it from B&H. I am not sure if Adorama has similar arrangement with Purolator.