Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sgrewal Quote
Thank you smc, for setting the record straight. You are exactly right. I wasn't quite sure about how one is expected to respond to a remark like the one you quoted.

Thanks again.
There has been a lot of "debate" on the forum about that issue, so I can understand how someone might misunderstand the intent of the thread.

That Silver K-5 is going to be a keeper.

03-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I wonder if I am going to end up like Scrooge. I might begin to have a series of K-5 ghost dreams and stuff.
You might just stop posting junk to the forum too.
And pigs might fly...
03-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You might just stop posting junk to the forum too.
And pigs might fly...
OK, let the insults begin!
07-17-2011, 03:58 AM   #19

Sensor stains on my K-5 Silver!

This looks like the dreaded sensor stain on my shiny new silver K-5. I haven't tried cleaning the sensor (manually), but these have the same "water stain" appearance of the other examples I've seen. The stains seem to start appearing from about F5.6 and up.

Attached Images

07-17-2011, 05:15 AM   #20

I think that looks like dust.
07-17-2011, 05:51 AM   #21

I hope so, but don't think it is. Nothing shows up on the Dust Alert check. Dust usually looks like little specks. These are much bigger.
07-17-2011, 06:58 AM   #22

Have you tried Dust Removal on camera? Does the stain move?

07-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #23

Yes. First thing I tried. Didn't notice any change. I'll try a blower or a swab.
07-17-2011, 08:02 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kennod Quote
This looks like the dreaded sensor stain on my shiny new silver K-5. I haven't tried cleaning the sensor (manually), but these have the same "water stain" appearance of the other examples I've seen. The stains seem to start appearing from about F5.6 and up.
Looks like dust to me. Happens too all DSLRs I've ever used. Blower should do it good. THe String of Pearls pattern is very distinctive.
07-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #25
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tired of negatives? Tired of problem hunters? Tired of having to defend against those "dreaming" of K5 problems instead of the fantastic abilities it has?

What can you do? You can go here and tell your True Story.......there are many more stories that we have yet to hear.......let's hear yours!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/151782-your-true-story.html

Don't get frustrated and pull all your hair out.....just go over and tell your True Story!
[IMG] [/IMG]
Best Regards!
07-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm no expert but...

Yes. First thing I tried. Didn't notice any change. I'll try a blower or a swab.
...I would stay away from touching the sensor with a swab. I had perfect success with a new K-5 by just putting it in sensor cleaning mode, turning it upside down and blasting it with a squeeze blower 10-15 times.

If the dust isn't sticky it should blow away easily.
07-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This looks like the dreaded sensor stain
NO it does not!
Dust is a fact of life and dust will deposit itself on sensors of ALL exchangeable lens cameras. You better get used to it. It is unavoidable. But unfortunately when it is found on a PENTAX cam it will strike fear in its owner to the end of civilization and will always be associated with sensor stain. You are one of those people who has succumbed to this dreaded fear. Just clean it off and all will be fine.

By the way, the sensor is more robust than manufacturers of sensor cleaning kits want you to know because then they can sell you a $3.00 soft nylon brush for $25.00. The filter atop that sensor is incredible hard and is not easily damaged if you proceed with intelligent care. It has to be, because manufacturers know that it has to withstand regular careful cleaning over many years.

Your spots in the posted pic is nothing more than dust, crap, manure, fluff or what ever you wish to call it.

Greetings
07-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #28
Forum Member

hi,
i bought a black K-5 on May27th and yesterday after cleaning the sensor with the cleaning kit and test afterwards i discovered exactly the same artefacts!!!
i will send it in for service after a colleague told me that my serial number 39784...is stain affected....
:-((
my first tests after purchase did not show these artefacts, it seems they appear later..
despite these "stains" congrats to the purchase, it's a wonderfull cam

Greetings from Austria,
Sascha
:-)
07-18-2011, 01:48 AM   #29

Pleasing to hear from a number of you that this is most likely only "dust, crap, manure or whatever". Didn't mean to cry wolf and get blood pressures up but looked different to dust I've had before and didn't move on first cleaning attempt. Will have another slightly more vigorous go with the blower brush. Cheers!
07-18-2011, 03:22 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CuriousEye Quote
hi,
i bought a black K-5 on May27th and yesterday after cleaning the sensor with the cleaning kit and test afterwards i discovered exactly the same artefacts!!!
i will send it in for service after a colleague told me that my serial number 39784...is stain affected....
:-((
my first tests after purchase did not show these artefacts, it seems they appear later..
despite these "stains" congrats to the purchase, it's a wonderfull cam

Greetings from Austria,
Sascha
:-)
Serial numbers do not correspond with build date. Your colleague is misinformed. You need to look at the build date using an EXIF data program like photoME. If yours looks like the picture above, it's dust not stains.