Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
My K5 just arrived from B&H ... BUT ...

But I'm a little concerned. The serial # is 393XXXX. I think I read that anything below 403XXXX is the old stuff with possibly the stains. The firmware is 1.01.

I also suspect that the K5 may not be brand new, because the packaging was wrinkly as if someone repackaged the items (battery, charger, camera).

Can anyone tell me how to find out the number of shutter actuations that the camera has? For Olympus cameras, you could find that out by pressing some of the buttons in a particular sequence. Is there such a thing on the Pentax K5? Is there also a way to find out the manufacturing date?

I guess I also need to test the camera for the infamous FF issues. Any recommendations on the best way to determine if my K5 has those issues?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

03-24-2011, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't worry. My K-5 is in the 393 range, and no problems. See, this is what all of the hysteria has done, make people look for faults/problems where there is none.

Download PhotoME (Windows) and use it to read the EXIF data. There you will find the manufacture date and the # of shutter actuations. Or use the search tool on this site (its very handy!)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/82399-mac-software...ion-count.html

Don't worry about the FF. Update to 1.03. And if you don't notice it in real life, don't try to find it. I don't understand why anyone would try to "break" their camera with crazy lab tests.
03-24-2011, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

My K-5 arrived from Adorama and it is, too, start with 393xxxx!
The production date is 1/23/2011 on mine and come with firmware 1.01. I am NOT HAPPY!

My K-5, shutter count is 2 and everything looks new. You can download the exiftool:
ExifTool by Phil Harvey

it will tell your the production date, etc.

I also have to go through stain test.... not happy to say the least.

Lee
03-24-2011, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

My serial is in the 39xxxxx range and it has no stains. It was the 38xxxx range that was heavily affected. Just do the stain check and if its clean dont worry about the serial number. same thing with the FF. Just upgrade it to 1.03 and then shoot a little in low tungsten light. If your photos are focused to your satisfaction (ie on what you intended), then you dont have a problem. Dont let the effects of internet hysteria trouble your mind. Do the reasonable tests, then dont worry about it.

03-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Forum Member

I came across an old thread yesterday re: the same concern -
"all cameras having serial number larger than 3973*** are fine"
Someone may want to back me up on that since I am new to the forum, thanks!
03-24-2011, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Shredder Quote
I came across an old thread yesterday re: the same concern -
"all cameras having serial number larger than 3973*** are fine"
Someone may want to back me up on that since I am new to the forum, thanks!
I was the one who posted that yesterday. I found this quote online but I'm not sure if it's valid.

My K-5 is 39471xx with build-date 02/14/2011. Hopefully, I can test for stains today because we're getting clear skies for the first time this week!
03-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Sorry for concerns. I was just hoping to get something in the 403XXXX and with 1.03 already on it so that I could be somewhat confident that this was a new unit.

Opening the box and seeing wrinkly plastic was the first thing that made me go, "oh no ..."

Thanks for the info. I'll do that tonight.

What's the best way to check for stains? Shoot a white subject and set aperture to 16?

Thanks again!

03-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Armanius Quote
Sorry for concerns. I was just hoping to get something in the 403XXXX and with 1.03 already on it so that I could be somewhat confident that this was a new unit.

Opening the box and seeing wrinkly plastic was the first thing that made me go, "oh no ..."

Thanks for the info. I'll do that tonight.

What's the best way to check for stains? Shoot a white subject and set aperture to 16?

Thanks again!
  1. Mount your longest lens on the camera. You can run the test using an 18mm lens, but longer is more convenient; I use either 300mm or 400mm.
  2. Set the camera to manual focus and focus the lens to infinity.
  3. Select matrix metering on the camera, set the shooting mode to Av and choose the smallest aperture (highest f number) available, set the ISO to its lowest value, set EV comp. to +1EV.
  4. Point the camera at a piece of blank sky (either blue or grey, just choose a uniform spot). If you don’t have access to a daylight sky, then point at an evenly lit, light-coloured wall, standing as close to it as possible without casting a shadow on your image.
  5. Take the shot! Don’t worry if the shutter speed chosen by the camera seems too slow for the focal length you’re using; you’re not taking a sharp picture of whatever is in front of your lens, but rather an image of what’s on the sensor, which will not be affected by motion blur.
  6. Load the image into your favourite viewer and zoom in to 100%; increase contrast if you want. Scan the whole image looking for marks.
Source: Review – Pentax K-5 | Enticing the Light
03-24-2011, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

You want to look at the manufacture date, not the serial #. PhotoMe shows this, as may other programs. Pentax has officially stated that any camera made after sometime in Dec. is OK. You guys need to take a deep breath and physically look for stains. I would be very surprised if you found any. Take pictures of a blank white or off-white wall at f/16 and f/22 and look at these photos full-size. My serial # is in the 393 range, mfr. 1/25/11 and is perfectly fine. Relax. You should be enjoying this day!
03-24-2011, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Mine is also from BH and in that range. It was fine after I checked it out.
03-24-2011, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I bought the camera 10 days back and it camer with number 396... and so far no stains...not even a speck of dust.

I don't think there is any rule that all serials before a certain one will have stains.

To check, you are right, point to a lighter wall or sky, f22, shutter 3-4 secs. swing the camera and if you have stains, that will be the only thing in focus.
03-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #12
Inactive Account

The stains and FF issues makes some ppl paranoid, plus gave birth to some that never use a K5 but talks bad abt it as if they've use it. I dun understand at all. sigh.

I think since now is March, all of the affected stains already been rectified. Plus the firmware for FF issues has been repair though some still complains alot still which makes me think "complain" is their 2nd hobby or something. XD
03-24-2011, 11:09 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Inactive Account

All of you people who are not happy with your K5 serial numbers, send me a PM and I'll give the address of where to send them. You can then buy other cameras that will make you happy. That dumbass 'safe' serial number climbs higher and higher every time I read it. The original estimate was that cameras built before week 50, 2010, were at risk. Cameras built after should be safe. All of you people with 2011 production dates really need to get a grip (and I don't mean the DBG-4 either).

03-24-2011, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Mine is also 39xxxxx and no issues.

Stop reacting to problems you haven't encountered yet and just shoot. If a problem becomes apparent, you have a year to notice it and get it repaired for free.
03-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #15

pentax recalls for the stains issues,dont worry