Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by henryk Quote
Yes, incredibly fast -- but them's the facts. I did get the camera by UPS overnight in order to meet a deadline. (Yes, the camera manufacture date was 12/10/10, not 12/10/11. Your reading skills, Doglover, seem to match my typing skills. So we're even.)
Look, I realize that this is not a big deal, but why does everybody think I made a reading or comprehension error? Not that I'm above them, but I just don't see where I did that here. Please read my posts and point out where I messed up. I understood that henryk got his K5 on the 22nd, therefore it had to be made before week 50. Simple logistics. Calluses made an error calculating the week, but corrected himself. ????

03-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #47

Photos: Albums
So, I just purchased a camera from Adorama with a 393 serial on Monday. Should I just return it and ask for something with a 4xxx production number just to be safe? Why sit around and wait for a problem that could potentially pop up a month down the road and then be without a camera for 5 weeks dealing with Pentax warranty when I could have just swapped it for a 4XXX serial
03-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 41ants Quote
So, I just purchased a camera from Adorama with a 393 serial on Monday. Should I just return it and ask for something with a 4xxx production number just to be safe
No dont need to do so
03-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
No dont need to do so
I have to be honest after reading all the threads, I feel like I am trying to find something that probably does not exist with my camera. I did the f22, MF to inf, iso 100 and am going nuts trying to find something. The first 30 shots of my camera are of the damn sky and the blank walls in my office I thought at one point I actually found the sensor stain and was relieved! However, upon 100% view it turns out it was a flock of high altitude birds captured using my 70-200 tamron. LOL Bloody ridiculous.

03-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Yeah, just relax. If you haven't found a stain by now, you're not going to. Do you have PhotoMe (its free) or a similar program to show you the manufacture date? Once you check that and confirm that it was made after week 50, 2010 (which it almost certainly was by this point), then put it out of your mind. As has been said in this thread, serial #'s are not tied to mfg. dates. There are K5's older than mine with higher serial #'s, so requesting a certain range is pointless. If you're still concerned about it, then check it again in 6 months. It'll still be under warranty.:ugh:
03-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Yeah, just relax. If you haven't found a stain by now, you're not going to. Do you have PhotoMe (its free) or a similar program to show you the manufacture date? Once you check that and confirm that it was made after week 50, 2010 (which it almost certainly was by this point), then put it out of your mind. As has been said in this thread, serial #'s are not tied to mfg. dates. There are K5's older than mine with higher serial #'s, so requesting a certain range is pointless. If you're still concerned about it, then check it again in 6 months. It'll still be under warranty.:ugh:
Manufacture Date is 1-24-2011

Only thing I have found is what looks like a hot green pixel in the same spot in all my photos.
03-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Only thing I have found is what looks like a hot green pixel in the same spot in all my photos.
You're fine on the stains issue, forget about it and enjoy the camera.
Unfortunately, hot pixels are a fact of life in this world and this is not considered a defect. Meaning, they won't replace a camera for that reason alone. Fortunately, the K5 has a built-in pixel mapping feature to deal with this issue. I've never used it so I can't give you any insight, but it's in your manual. If you shoot in raw, though, your raw converter will eliminate them automatically. I think I've had at least one on every body I've had, though, ironically, I haven't noticed one on my K5 yet. All mine have been red, though. Don't think I've even seen a green one before. Someone else have any insight on this?
Anyway, congrats on your new camera. Now go have fun.

03-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
41--
I got my K5 today. Exterior of box just a tad mussy, inside a torn tab, and a well previously read Operating Manual. I am so pissed, I can't see straight. I got one of your open box specials at full price.
I did not note the serial number, who cares--it is going right back to B&H.
Net result on this corporate brilliancy: B&H loses this sale; loses this customer (25years); and gets to pay shipping twice. Has anyone noticed that Adorama's advertising pages are near what B&H's are? Remember just a few years ago B&H ad pages dwarfed everyone else? There is a reason. This is it. Adorama is growing and this is why. Smooth move B&H. Who cares about a fancy web site and the best prices (by a measly few dollars) and a good return policy, when the &*(^^% thieves are selling second rate junk at new prices. Not I. Adios crooks!
And in case I have not made this clear enough, just think about inventory handling. The stuff comes in from Colorado, or Japan. It gets put somewhere until sold. Then a piece comes back. How does it get into the Colorado/Japan inventory? Because someone decided that is where it goes, that's how. It does not arrive there by accident or magic. It is corporate policy!!! Plain and painfully crookedly simple!
03-30-2011, 08:43 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And, you know what's worse, Pentax does NOT need its retailers jerking around faithful Pentax users. Here of course is where the buck stops--no camera maker is about to touch B&H. But as B&H continues its inevitable slide, the day may come when a manufacturer tells them how to retail and treat their customers.
03-30-2011, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pntxjack Quote
41--
I got my K5 today. Exterior of box just a tad mussy, inside a torn tab, and a well previously read Operating Manual. I am so pissed, I can't see straight. I got one of your open box specials at full price.
I did not note the serial number, who cares--it is going right back to B&H.
Net result on this corporate brilliancy: B&H loses this sale; loses this customer (25years); and gets to pay shipping twice. Has anyone noticed that Adorama's advertising pages are near what B&H's are? Remember just a few years ago B&H ad pages dwarfed everyone else? There is a reason. This is it. Adorama is growing and this is why. Smooth move B&H. Who cares about a fancy web site and the best prices (by a measly few dollars) and a good return policy, when the &*(^^% thieves are selling second rate junk at new prices. Not I. Adios crooks!
And in case I have not made this clear enough, just think about inventory handling. The stuff comes in from Colorado, or Japan. It gets put somewhere until sold. Then a piece comes back. How does it get into the Colorado/Japan inventory? Because someone decided that is where it goes, that's how. It does not arrive there by accident or magic. It is corporate policy!!! Plain and painfully crookedly simple!
Gotta believe this is an isolated incident. B&H is known for some of the best customer service in the business. Yes, it sounds like someone screwed up, but, unfortunately, it happens. I am positive that if you contact them about this, they will be glad to make it right. And I assure you, B&H ain't hurtin'.
03-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #56

You would think they would have to disclose that it was an open box or return item. They at least make it very clear at Best Buy on their merchandise. Sounds rather felonious to me
03-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #57
Inactive Account

OMG! You've got Stains!!!! See attached copy of your photo..

Attached Images

03-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #58
Inactive Account

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I don't see any hot pixels but if you do, run the mapping routine and it'll knock them right out.

03-31-2011, 07:05 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DL & 41
They are going to take the camera back. But that is not what I bargained for. I bargained for a new camera. Would I pay a few more bucks to get a new camera? Yes!!! Which is exactly what I am going to do ELSEWHERE forever. You have heard the adage "[blank] me once, shame on you. [blank] me twice, shame on me." I live by that adage. I have absolutely no trust or confidence that, if I buy from these IDIOTS again, the same thing won't happen. Don't have time for that. Going to be without a new camera at a very important shoot Saturday.
Jack
PS
Their reply (agreeing to take the camera back) was canned. If anyone knows the name and email address of anyone at B&H higher in rank than a robot, it would serve B&H well if that person (using the term very loosely, of course) was made aware of this impending demise of a once great company.
J.
03-31-2011, 07:23 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pntxjack Quote
Their reply (agreeing to take the camera back) was canned. If anyone knows the name and email address of anyone at B&H higher in rank than a robot, it would serve B&H well if that person (using the term very loosely, of course) was made aware of this impending demise of a once great company.
J.
Step 1) Take some deep breaths - yes, it sucks to not get what you expected or was advertised, but the odds of it being an intentional ploy aimed directly at you are minute.

Step 2) Go browse the "Ask B&H Photo" section of this very forum. Their customer service people read and respond right here, and you can PM them or post a thread with what you feel would be an agreeable solution that hasn't been offered.

Really, if what you paid for and what you want is a brand-new K-5, and that isn't what you got... then that is what you should ask for, but Step 1 is definitely recommended before Step 2.

Last edited by panoguy; 03-31-2011 at 07:30 AM.