Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,545
PhotoMe alternative for Mac

I'd like to know the manufacture date for my K-5 but I'm a mac user... Is there any way to find out?

03-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Marin, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 281
there's at least one thread from today that asks the same thing.

Search the forums.
03-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,545
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
there's at least one thread from today that asks the same thing.

Search the forums.
Oops! Sorry about that.

I've tried exiftool, etc. but to no luck--I want the manufacture date!

Last edited by Ubuntu_user; 03-24-2011 at 12:38 PM.
03-24-2011, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,311
To get a ManufactureDate type

user% exiftool -ManufactureDate /path/to/file

Make sure you use an original file.

A list of Pentax specific tags is here

Pentax Tags


Last edited by boriscleto; 03-24-2011 at 01:59 PM.
03-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,545
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
To get a ManufactureDate type

user% exiftool -ManufactureDate /path/to/file

Make sure you use an original file.

A list of Pentax specific tags is here

Pentax Tags
Didn't work for me...

I typed:

exiftool -ManufactureDate /path/to/file

which returned nothing, so I typed user% in front but that didn't work either.

Then I put my user name in for the user% but that didn't work either.


Hmmm... I do okay on terminal work in Linux but I guess I must not be nearly as savvy in OS X Terminal.
03-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,545
Original Poster
Oh yeah! Got it.

I always shoot RAW so I was converting the Raw image to Jpeg, and that's why I wasn't getting anything.

So I shot a jpg in camera and tada! worked perfectly!


Boriscleto, rep for you for your help!
03-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 666
ugh. I don't know anything about using the terminal and I had to use the droplet things to get the shuttercount (which was 3, fyi). I can't find the manufacture date on the droplet. What am I doing wrong?
03-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alexandria, VA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 149
Here is the URL of a website, where you can simply upload an image file, and it will display your EXIF data. I found my manufacture date here:

Jeffrey's Exif viewer

03-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,311
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
ugh. I don't know anything about using the terminal and I had to use the droplet things to get the shuttercount (which was 3, fyi). I can't find the manufacture date on the droplet. What am I doing wrong?
It would be harder to explain how to edit the script than to explain how to use the Terminal. Here goes.

1. Open the Terminal.
2. At the prompt, type exiftool -ManufactureDate followed by a space.
3. Drag the file you want read onto the Terminal window. This will fill in the path for you.
4. Hit return.

To get a ShutterCount just type -ShutterCount instead of -ManufactureDate or you can get both by typing both.

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-24-2011 at 06:25 PM.
03-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 666
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote

1. Open the Terminal.
2. At the prompt, type exiftool -ManufactureDate followed by a space.
3. Drag the file you want read onto the Terminal window. This will fill in the path for you.
4. Hit return.

To get a ShutterCount just type -ShutterCount instead of -ManufactureDate.
Got it. lot of stuff there. The website worked too and was kinda easier. Thanks!
03-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 835
You can drag the file into the terminal window to get the location/file name? Oh, very cool, I didn't know that! Will it work with a folder? One of the things I did with the K7 (when I had the green line) was to use exiftool to print the things I wanted to a tabbed .txt document (file name and temperature), but I sometimes had trouble typing the path correctly. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try that.
05-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: europe
Posts: 148
would it be possible to create a service with automator. so that by clicking right on a picture, in the dropdown list, we could see all theses EXIF data displayed by photome? or at least the most usefull of them such as shuttercount?
05-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
You can drag the file into the terminal window to get the location/file name? Oh, very cool, I didn't know that! Will it work with a folder? One of the things I did with the K7 (when I had the green line) was to use exiftool to print the things I wanted to a tabbed .txt document (file name and temperature), but I sometimes had trouble typing the path correctly. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try that.
Yes, it works with folders. You can also find several online context-menu addons that let you right click and "open Terminal here".
05-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,311
QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
would it be possible to create a service with automator. so that by clicking right on a picture, in the dropdown list, we could see all theses EXIF data displayed by photome? or at least the most usefull of them such as shuttercount?
Just modify one of the the droplet scripts. For example change set exiftool_args from -S to -shuttercount.

Code:
on open the_files
set exiftool_path to "/usr/bin/"
set exiftool_args to "-shuttercount"
repeat with the_file in the_files
set exiftool_args to exiftool_args & " " & quote & POSIX path of the_file & quote
end repeat
set the_md to do shell script exiftool_path & "exiftool " & exiftool_args
display dialog "ExifTool Metadata:" & return & return & the_md
end open
http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/List_Exif_Metadata.sit

Last edited by boriscleto; 05-16-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, mac, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a program like/equivalent to PHOTOME for Mac OS X ? brosen Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 16 07-21-2011 11:55 AM
PhotoME shutter count 230 on 'new' K-7 Markah1 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 13 09-16-2009 12:17 PM
PhotoME help NaClH2O Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 2 07-27-2009 06:42 PM
Photome - whats up ? Squier Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 10 04-25-2009 02:13 AM
K10D photo series - mac / aperture / .mac Tom M Photographic Technique 7 12-29-2007 03:13 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:02 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top