Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax or Not

I do not mean to ignite a debate. I have been a Pentax user since past 12 years (since my first Analog SLR and then Digital). Recently, I got a K-5. It is great and gives me everything that I was missing in *istDS. As I was browsing through the internet to find accessories etc, I realized that there is not much choice available for Pentax brand DSLRs compared to Nikon and Canon brand DSLRs (for example, auto focus lens tube for close ups and macro). Also, I have checked with borrowlens.com (as an example) to rent lenses and I was surprised to know that they do not stock any lenses for Pentax DSLRs. Now, I started wondering if I have made right decision to upgrade from *istDS to K-5 or should I consider other popular brands (by popular I do not necessarily mean better) considering I still have time to return it. I know that users of this forum are primarily Pentaxians like me. But, wanted to get some of your thoughts. Thanks you in advance.

03-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #2

If your are looking at renting lenses, check out CameraLensRentals.com They have quite a bit for Pentax. You won't go wrong with upgrading to the K5. It is a very nice camera.
03-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
I do not mean to ignite a debate. I have been a Pentax user since past 12 years (since my first Analog SLR and then Digital). Recently, I got a K-5. It is great and gives me everything that I was missing in *istDS. As I was browsing through the internet to find accessories etc, I realized that there is not much choice available for Pentax brand DSLRs compared to Nikon and Canon brand DSLRs (for example, auto focus lens tube for close ups and macro). Also, I have checked with borrowlens.com (as an example) to rent lenses and I was surprised to know that they do not stock any lenses for Pentax DSLRs. Now, I started wondering if I have made right decision to upgrade from *istDS to K-5 or should I consider other popular brands (by popular I do not necessarily mean better) considering I still have time to return it. I know that users of this forum are primarily Pentaxians like me. But, wanted to get some of your thoughts. Thanks you in advance.
Eh, sounds like you got everything except accessories. Is there a list of accessories that is a must have for you? If yes and Pentax does not offer some or all of those, then I think that you should see if there are third party substitutes. If not, you may have to switch brands. You might want to check before you buy again though.

The topic of lenses is a different issue, no? What lenses do you have? What lenses do you want? If went with other brands how much more (or less) will you have to spend??

I say you return it. You can always buy it again, if at all cheaper perhaps.

Did you check for stains??
03-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You are correct; there are fewer third party accessories out there, and even Tamron have ceased making lenses with Pentax mounts.
However I knew all this before I upgraded from the DS to K5 and still made move which I do not regret. The K5 is, in my opinion, the right decision for me.
Sometimes you may be able to get what you want, but just need to look harder: eg There is a manufacturer of auto extension tubes in Poland - not the first place that you would look! - and there is second hand stuff coming available in the Marketplace here and on eBay all the time.
Pentax may not be right for you, but it is for a lot of people on this forum.

03-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #5

Original Poster
Fontan - Thanks for the advice. I have checked for stains but did not see any. Hope I was looking right.

Coming to lenses, I am glad that I could use Pentax DA 18-250 that I was using with *istDS. I do not really want to own different lenses but like to rent whenever I needed one. For most of shooting, 18-250 is adequate for me.
03-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It is rare, not impossible mind you, but rare to not be able to find a particular accessory for Pentax, or something very close. You just may have to look a little harder or seek help on this forum. Pentaxians as a group tend to take some pride in not being sheep and buying what everybody else buys. We accept that there may be some inconveniences to this approach. Only you can decide if this is acceptable to you. It definitely is to me, especially now with the K5.
03-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
You are missing macro equipment ? Why not type "macro" in the forum search

So what else are you missing ?

Go out there and SHOOT!
03-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmmm.....not sure what you could want that is not available. I think I have about 25+ lenses of a wide range of properties, and could easily add a few dozen tonight if I only could!

If a person feels they must have a "Pentax Only" system, then it could present problems, but otherwise there is an excellent selection of lenses by other Mfgs. for most any shooting need. Even in my lens addictive dreams, I have never found a shortage of lenses to give me a happy ending.

I don't rent lenses, so I am not familiar with that market, but I'm sure there are places where Pentax mount is available. Is there a specific need you have that is giving you problems?

Best Regards!

03-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I've certainly thought about that at times. I started with the K10, so haven't been with Pentax as long as you. But went ahead and bought a K5 which arrived today, and i'm thinking WOW - everything i wanted. Photography is about wanting to take pictures and this K5 makes me want to go out and take pictures - what a tool. everytime i look at a price list for Canon and Nikon lenses, i believe i'm lucky when i chose Pentax. Trend line is definitely up iwth Pentax, especially when they can produce a camera like the K5. I gave a workshop at a photo club on hdr, and several Nikon owners had difficulty finding the necessary menu options with their cameras. That astonished me because i know my pentax menus backwards and forwards. makes me think there really is something to this ergonomics talk. A few weeks later, i was shooting with 2 other Nikon owners and asked them to turn off the focusing assist light because it seemed intrusive for the actors (live play) - neither one knew if or how they could do it. I like a camera thats easy to operate and remember, and the K20, now the K5 do it for me.

as to the lens rental, a friend of mine with a K20 has rented lenses a coupla times from the company that was mentioned.

best wishes in your choosiing,
03-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I understand the feeling, hate not having a store locally that sells Pentax. Still, having only owned my camera for a week, I am in LOVE.

Yes, it may be a bigger challenge to find Pentax items, but everyone here has been amazing and just bought my first prime from E-bay. So it is not impossible.

Besides the hunt is half the fun.